Author Topic: GE Washer Problems  (Read 5157 times)

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
GE Washer Problems
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
 Looking for some tech advice here, my 10 year old GE WCSE3100A1WW has decided to crap out. My wife called me at work saying the washer wouldn’t go into the spin cycle, and that it smelled like something was burning, so I told her to shut it down until I could take a look at it. My first thought was the drive belt had bit the dust, but upon inspection I have discovered this not to be the case, the belt is in surprisingly good shape for its age, and the burning smell she described is actually the motor overheating.

So last night I did a test run to see exactly what was taking place. On the first run it filled fine, agitated fine, but at the end of the drain cycle is where we run into problems. The motor is powering on, but fails to spin the tub, and then begins to overheat. This is where it gets strange; if I rotate the selector knob all the way around and into “spin only” mode and restart it, it takes right off and spins as it should.

I ran it through another cycle and it hangs at the same point again, I can manually turn the pulley by hand when it hangs and the tub spins, but there seems to be quite a bit of resistance, so again, I cycle the knob all the way around to “spin only” it drains and it starts right up. I did stop it shortly after the spin cycle started, and noticed that there seemed to be less resistance when turning the belt by hand than when it was allowed to cycle thru on its own and to the point where it hangs up. I ran out of time and decided to pack it in for the night and give it another shot today.

The wife gets up this morning and decides she has to do some laundry, well now it seems to be hanging up before the end of the agitation cycle, and my previous trick of switching to “spin only” now results in motor and clutch engagement, followed by a ¼ rotation of the tub, and then it hangs. If I cycle the magnetic switch a few times it will finally go into spin mode and complete the task…

Is it possible the motor is just getting weak? Or is it more likely the trans/brake assembly has bought the farm? The drive train sounds good when running, no unusual noises that would indicate anything binding or coming apart. Are there any serviceable parts in the trans/brake assemblies, or is it a throw away item?

I am leaning towards it being a trans/brake related issue, but I hate to just throw parts at a problem with the hope that I am correct, and especially when there are much more qualified people that might lend a hand with the diagnosis. Thanks in advance for letting me bend your ears, and for any advice or suggestions you might have regarding this issue… O0

Model WCSE3100A1WW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Washer Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
Here is something you can try. Inside the clutch is 6 or 7 big ball bearings that rest in unlevel oblong channels. When that dude washes, them ball bearing ride up in in the shallow end of their grooves and lock that tub down. When it wants to spin them ball bearing roll back down in the deep end and the tub is released for spin baby! So what goes wrong? All that grease is gone bye bye and them bearings is hangin up. Get some lubricant and grease them ball bearings. Wd 40 sometimes does it but don't last too long. Grease is better. OR plan B: Flip the whole thing over and pour some old motor oil down in there and let it sit over night. That's the redneck way  :rofl: it will go another year or 2 before ya gotta do that treatment again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:31:35 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »
The grease needs to go between that brake spring and the tranny innards that's where them ball bearing be. GE had a bunch of trouble when these glorified lawn mower quills first came out and they issued a kit to replace the brake assembly. See the logo that says appliancepartspros? Right there to the left of where the big A in Appliancepartspros is, is where you want to grease it. You want to be moving the pulley to release the brake so that will open up a gap to get the grease into. One of then cajun injectors full of grease shot up in there and she will purr like a kitten. Click on pic to enlarge
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:43:17 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Maybe Shawn can give us some light on how it works and can show us one up close.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, and sense of humor! :2funny: I will give it a shot first thing in the morning.

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
I could tell the original grease had broken down to the point of resembling light weight oil; but the bearings were rolling freely, I greased them up really good anyway. Unfortunately, still the same problem, any other thoughts? It certainly does act as if the brake is at least partially engaging, and it seems as if it’s getting progressively worse… Is there any sort of relay associated with the motor that could possibly be getting weak and not supplying enough power?

Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
Did you try a load of clothes?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
Did you try a load of clothes?

No I didn't, would it matter? Symptoms seemed the same regardless, but if it would help then why not I say...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Try a load and report back
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
Tried a load, same deal.  Do these things have a two speed motor?  I decided to disconnect the belt when it is hung up towards the end of the agitation cycle, and with the belt disconnected the motor just sits and hums.  If I switch to spin only mode, the motor takes right off.  I'm thinking it must be a two speed motor at this point, and perhaps it is getting weak.  I checked and the relays seem to be functioning.  But I can't believe they soldered them to the board! 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
You down to motor or control. I say replace the cheapest first and if that don't do it replace the other OR plan B: Buy a Roper washer.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
 Certain it's the motor at this point, and after looking online for a new one it's obvious that it's just not worth with...  :tickedoff:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
Roper Baby Roper!
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline steelmastiff

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
Roper you say? There must be a reason you are recommending a Roper, care to share exactly why? I am looking for a top loader, non high efficiency, and most importantly low cost… My wife says all of her friends that have purchased a high efficiency washer haven’t been pleased with the performance, something about not rinsing as well as they’d like. I really could care less about bells and whistles, just more crap to cause problems later. The wife isn’t all that picky either, so basic would do…

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
A Roper is cheaper, requires no fancy soap, does not depend on sensors and error codes. Does not care how much soap yall use. Does not have fancy electronics. All it does is it's J O B baby! A word of caution:
The Roper washer does not do blankets, comforters, or rugs. Does not like low water.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Washer Problems

Started by engelman

Replies: 1
Views: 2917
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
by JWWebster
Problems with Washer

Started by skylark157

Replies: 4
Views: 1634
Last post December 23, 2008, 03:00:09 PM