Author Topic: Ice dispensing trays not opening  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
Ice dispensing trays not opening
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Hello, I have run into three refrigerators that won't open the ice dispensing bucket to allow the ice to drop outside the door.  On one of them I was able to re-wire so it would send power over to the magnet thing that pops up so it will grab the metal bar and open the bucket... But, I don't trust it as far as it being wired properly; it was a good way to see that if it was the device or a wiring problem though.  The device that pops opens seems fine and the wires connected to them have good continuity, it's becoming a trend so I know there is something I am missing here.  Anyone help me out with this?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Ice dispensing trays not opening
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
On what model?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
Just thought I would post this while yall is waitin fer a model numba IN DOOR ICE SYSTEMS
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »
On one of them I was able to re-wire so it would send power over to the magnet thing that pops up so it will grab the metal bar and open the bucket..

The magnet thing is called a solenoid and generally (we have no model numbers) that lifts the metal arm in the bucket to switch it from cubed to crushed ice and has nothing to do with the ice being dispensed out the door.

The auger runs the ice out the bucket and the flapper door on the outside lifts up/open when the glass is pushed against the arm.

It should not matter what the solenoid or the metal arm in the bucket is doing as far as ice coming out the door. That just determines if the ice come up cubed or crushed.

The first think I always do on a service call is write down the model number. I then keep the model number with the customers billing records so I can always go back and look it up.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
Wel I feel kind of stupid, lol.  I guess sometimes learning requires asking dumb questions....  I just figured the solenoid was suppose to pop open every time.  I guess not!  It would only pop open when it needs to crush ice or something eh?  I understand the concern about the model numbers, it just will require me to get more organized and I will start posting those on here for my concerns.  Thanks Guys

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
No reason to feel stupid...

Asking questions is part of learning. We have all been there. :)

It would only pop open when it needs to crush ice or something eh?

Yes, if it's the common whirlpool type I was thinking of.

As for getting the model number. If you don't have a pen and paper handy, but have a cell phone camera you can snap a photo of the model/serial number tag for later reference too. I have done that a few times, lol..

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Our forum is kind of like a class room. If one person ask a question in a class room you know someone else in class was wondering the same thing.

In our forum if someone post a question there could be hundreds of people or even thousands of people over time that are searching for the answer to that very same question you asked. :)

I may not always have a answer for you, but there is enough of us around that someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

Just don't' forget to return the favor if you ever get the chance to lend a helping hand to another forum member looking for answers.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Frigidaire- Ice maker & water dispensing from door randomly

Started by andersonjoy

Replies: 1
Views: 3094
Last post December 26, 2008, 03:23:41 PM
by Repair-man
Ice/Water Dispensing System won't unlock? I think.

Started by pudge2824

Replies: 5
Views: 2216
Last post January 06, 2009, 01:57:54 PM
by whirlpooltech
GE Side by Side Ice Dispenser randomly dispensing water and ice

Started by ltr54

Replies: 0
Views: 1620
Last post May 19, 2009, 01:17:54 AM
by ltr54
Ice dispenser not dispensing ice

Started by DIANAM

Views: 1309
Last post June 11, 2009, 03:39:20 PM
by DIANAM
ice not dispensing

Started by Crow

Replies: 2
Views: 1516
Last post July 12, 2009, 02:48:25 PM
by Crow
Kitchenaid KSRS25FTMS01 Dispensing ice by itself (at 4am)

Started by mollykolly

Views: 1389
Last post September 05, 2009, 05:03:51 AM
by mollykolly