Author Topic: Filter replacement very difficult to insert ON WHIRLPOOL Gold Ref.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
Trying to replace filter with the same # filter but cannot push it all the way in.

Model GD5NHGXKQ01

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Filter replacement very difficult to insert ON WHIRLPOOL Gold Ref.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Have you changed the filter before? Once you line it up just push a little harder and twist it to lock it in place.

I had a couple give me trouble and I ended up having to change the housing the filter goes into.

Here is the Filter Housing for your model refrigerator.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »
Great.
I have ordered part.
Will need to get some advice on how to replace this item.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Remove the grille from the bottom of the refrigerator. It just pulls off.

Once you have the grille off you will see the two screws that mount the filter housing to the refrigerator.

Remove the two screws and pull the filter housing out . On the back of the filter housing there will be two water lines connected to it with quick connect fittings.

To release the water lines from the filter housing you will need to push the little plastic collar in and hold it as you pull the water line out.

Sometimes it help to push the water line in too as you push the plastic collar in to get it to release, but in any case hold the plastic collar in and pull the water line out.

Here is a video that shows you how a quick connect fitting works. I have never needed the special tool they show as you can just push the plastic collar in with your fingers.

It's a pretty simple job, let us know how it goes or if you have any other question, thanks...  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
When the part arrives, I'll let you know how "simple" it is.
Though you have always been right on in the past. :D

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
Tubes would not come beyond 6 inches of the front of fridge.
They would not release from filter holder.
I cut the front larger tube very close to the fitting and resulted in a forceful stream of water coming from the remains.  This water ended up in my family room below hopefully recoverable damage.
I imagine the first instruction should have been to turn of the supply to the fridge.
That being the case, the supply tube is too short to successfully insert into the filter holder.
The thinner rear tube was successfully connected.

I need another foot of supply tubing to connect to the filter holder.  What is my option now? :-\
Not as easy as described.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »
Tubes would not come beyond 6 inches of the front of fridge

You could reach in to cut it, but not to release it from the quick disconnect?

I cut the front larger tube very close to the fitting and resulted in a forceful stream of water coming from the remains.  This water ended up in my family room below hopefully recoverable damage.
I imagine the first instruction should have been to turn of the supply to the fridge.

No one said anything about cutting the line to start with.

Did you end up having to turn the water to the refrigerator off?

The filter housing is on the other side of the water valve, so there should be no line pressure there unless someone is trying to get water out the dispenser. I'm thinking the pressure that was in the line was just what was in the water holding tank that is in the refrigerator. In any case I have always been able to just remove the line, put my thumb over it until I slip it in the filter housing connection.

That being the case, the supply tube is too short to successfully insert into the filter holder.
The thinner rear tube was successfully connected.

I need another foot of supply tubing to connect to the filter holder.  What is my option now?

Follow the line back to see if there is a quick coupler already splice in the line where you can disconnect it and add a piece, if not you will have to get a coupler and some extra tubing.

Not as easy as described.

It's been over a year since I have had to change one, but it really is not that hard. I put a towel down to catch what water I can because as with any water line you disconnect there is of coarse alway water in the line. :)

Two screws and two small quick disconnect water lines and your done. I like to call it 'easy money', lol..

Did you see if your filter went in the new filter housing before you went through all this work to make 100% sure that was the problem before trying to replace it?

Sorry, but it sounds like you are making a 5 minute job a lot harder then it needs to be.

Kind of like when I spend 3 hours trying to fix my computer and then my kid sits down in front of it and fixes it in 10 minutes, lol..

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Yeah, turn off the water first.  It wouldn't release because of the pressure. Try removing the two screws holding the water inlet valve in the back and see if that gives you enough tubing to work with.

Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help

Started by pudge2824

Replies: 6
Views: 33759
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:00:39 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Gold Ice Not Ejecting

Started by Texanite

Replies: 2
Views: 2515
Last post January 18, 2009, 11:39:21 AM
by JWWebster