Author Topic: Baby is comming and no Spin  (Read 1905 times)

Offline thedodgefarm

• VIP Member
Baby is comming and no Spin
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
hi all,
My wife is due on September 8th and i have no way to wash diapers right now.  I've been banging my head against the wall for a while on this one.  Here's what i know.

Kenmore 400 agitates but won't drain or spin.
Lid switch jumped
motor/trans coupler okay
pump free of debris
motor start capacitor tests within rating
not affected by wire wiggling

with the motor sitting on the floor(dismounted) connected to the wiring harness, the motor starts and runs fine in the agitate direction but just buzzes in the drain/spin direction.  If i grab the shaft (with my fingers) and give it a boost it spins right up.  In both directions i can hear the centrifugal switch throw to the run windings.

Add that this washer is used but has probably done about 50 loads total then sat for 9 months.

to me its either the timer or the motor but don't want to just throw parts at this washer willy nilly.  any thoughts??  open to all.  Thanks

Model 110.29422800

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Baby is comming and no Spin
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
My wife is due on September 8th

Congrats!!

Your model number is short one digit, please check it again.

If you have 120 volts going to the motor during the spin cycle and you are sure the capacitor is good then I would suspect a bad motor.

I have seen were bad timers will not let a motor start and all the motor does is sit there and hum, but in them cases the motor is being pulled in both directions at the same time and you can not spin the shaft to make it run like in your case.

Offline thedodgefarm

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
Update:

Sorry I forgot a 2...the model is actually 110.29422800.  

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
Get the inner tub out, remove the agitator and the tub nut by using a hammer and a skinny flat blade screwdriver. I had a magic marker under my inner tub on my washer and just last week we had another guy in here that had a cigarette lighter under there.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
JW, I don't think his problem has anything to do with something stuck in the tub. His motor does not run in the spin direction by itself even when it's disconnected from the gear box as he said...

with the motor sitting on the floor(dismounted) connected to the wiring harness, the motor starts and runs fine in the agitate direction but just buzzes in the drain/spin direction.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
If the motor sat for 9 months then start it with your fingers and let it run for 20 minutes to loosen it up. Pull the tranny and yank out the spin tube and oil it. The brakes could be sticking. Lube them to loosen it up.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline thedodgefarm

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
Update:  Sorry to waste your time but i found the problem.

I don't know why but several of the contacts in the timer were burned and a few welded together.  Taking apart the timer without destroying it took patience but it was worth it.  I cleaned up the contacts with a small file and emery cloth and now the motor spins both directions.  

The timer will need to be replaced soon because filing the soft contact points makes them smaller than they should which will create higher resistance which leads to heat and material break down.  

I will order a new timer soon, but i expect this fix to last a month or so.  

I will continue to watch this thread for a couple of days if anyone thinks asking more questions about this experience will help them with their own issues.

ok-enough ramble-thank you for reading and being a part of an awesome forum, i hope i haven't frustrated too many folks with my itchy "post to forum" finger.  
Thanks

Offline thedodgefarm

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
jw -even though i got the motor running i still will loosen up the brakes before i put this thing back together.  good advice, thank you. 

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
Update: Sorry to waste your time but i found the problem.

No need to be sorry, your update is sure to help someone else down the road that runs into the same problem you had, thanks for the update!  O0

I looked up the model number of your washer and the timer is part # W10199989 @ just $36 I think that has to be one of the cheapest washer timers I have ever looked up.

My wife is due on September 8th

Congrats, I wish you and your wife the best.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »
Even if I got the old timer going I would order a new one for the future at that price. I don't know about yall but my stuff always breaks on the weekend before school starts.  You could spend more money at the laundry matt than what that timer costs. LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 27625
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 59902
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM