Author Topic: GE refrig not cooling in FZ or FF  (Read 1842 times)

Offline ghserv

• VIP Member
GE refrig not cooling in FZ or FF
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
This unit is not cooling in the freezer or fresh food sections. The temps are rising quickly. The compressor is running (inverter driven), the condenser fan is running but neither the FZ or FF fan is running. The display shows the FF section temp to be 64 degrees (probably accurate) and the FZ section to be at 22 degrees (the freezer temp is more like 50 degrees or more). There doesn't seem to be a lot of cooling going on on either the FZ or FF evaps (dual evaps) and not a lot of heat seems to be being removed at the condenser or compressor discharge line. Is there a service manual available for this fridge (the PSS  is somewhat different and several years older)? Is there info on entering the diagnostics on this model (once again the PSS is different)? Could a sensor cause these symptoms? If so, which sensor is most likely at fault, the FZ, the FF, or the evap? I'm guessing the easiest place to measure the sensor resistances is from the connector on the board.

Model PSCF5VGXAFBB

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: GE refrig not cooling in FZ or FF
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
Has this Fridge worked OK for you at this location up till now ?
If the Compressor is running, the Evaporator Coils in the Freezer should be frosty...
Have a look and post some pictures somewhere.
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline ghserv

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
It actually isn't my fridge but the owner noticed it warming up slowly over the last few days. The freezer evap was frost-free but then it could have recently defrosted too. With an inverter driven compressor I suppose the controls could have throttled back the compressor because of some issue. As complex as these systems have become it is a challenge to troubleshoot them, especially without sufficient training and/or documentation. An inverter driven compressor adds even more troubleshooting issues. If I had information on how to run diagnostics it would help. Unfortunately the PSS manual doesn't apply due to different controls and displays. At this point a new fridge is looking like the best solution, preferrably a simple one without all the electronics, if you can find one somewhere. It's a shame to send a $1500 less than 3 year olf fridge to the landfill but without a service manual there's not a lot of options.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
Check for leaks, if your sure the compressor is running.Thermistor should just cause the freezer or ref to have a issue.Check voltage going to the compressor and ohm the compressor.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
Have you seen this nice video that Ryan put together?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ghserv

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Niobrara, there are no signs visually of Freon leaks but the areas visually inspectable are limited. The compressor is running via sound and vibration. I agree that a bad thermistor should only affect one side and both sides are affected. Since the display indicates the freezer temperature at 22 degrees (the freezer in reality is probably at 50 degrees or more though) and the FF side shows at  58 degrees on the display (likely accurate) you'd think it would be running the fans on both sides with both sides well above setpoint and also the compressor should be at at full bore at those temps too. It really doesn't seem possible to measure the compressor voltage since it is inverter driven which means it is likely a square wave rather than sinusoidual and also the compressor says it is a 240 volt unit even though the fridge is operated off 120 volts. There's no way to know what the voltage to the compressor should be given these things, at least without factory documentation. The ability to see the input and output conditions from a diagnostics mode would be of great value but alas I can't seem to find a manual for this unit. Also the ability to force a known cooling mode would help too. Once again you'd need a manual.

JW, thanks for the video, I've added it to my library. Very good video!

And RegUS, thanks for your input as well!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
Stated that incorrectly, forgive me.Check voltage to inverter,then ohm compressor. I think on this unit all winding should measure the same.If this proves to be correct I would open a line at the dryer and find out what is happening.Is the control board on this unit by the water valve or on the back of the cabinet?

Offline ghserv

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
Checked the power to the inverter, there is 120V to it however there are two more leads that I assume are control inputs and I have no idea what should be on those. The compressor windings appear to be intact as there is continuity all three ways and they measure about 4 ohms. The board is on the back lower right side behind a cover. No signs of fried parts. I'm not sure that I am going to have much more opportunity for troubleshooting this unit as the owners are desparate for a working fridge and are currently looking at new ones. They've been without a working fridge for several days now and they have kids. I do appreciate everyone's help though!

Whirlpool refrig not cooling

Started by jayarmstrong1

Replies: 5
Views: 1953
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:52:16 AM
by jumptrout51
Samsung Refrig not cooling icing up model RB215LASH

Started by viking351

Replies: 3
Views: 1635
Last post July 12, 2012, 08:40:52 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Elite Refrig Not Cooling

Started by Blaiser

Replies: 2
Views: 827
Last post June 17, 2014, 06:00:32 AM
by Blaiser
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 6574
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 7146
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
whirlpool refrig.