Author Topic: GE Washer Stops - START Button Flashes  (Read 5795 times)

Offline sportrider

• VIP Member
GE Washer Stops - START Button Flashes
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »
i have a GE washer - model WCVH6800J2WW - that is about 14 months old...  it gets used maybe once a week on average...

this morning i put a load in and hit the start button as usual... it filled with water, did a bit of balancing and stopped... the water drained and what sounded like a pump ran for about 5 minutes... then everything stopped and the start button began flashing...

i checked the pump filter and tried re-balancing the load... same result... i tried different settings (including spin & drain) - same result...

any ideas?

thanks...

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: GE Washer Stops - START Button Flashes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »
Try unplugging it for about 5 minutes then hit drain and spin,or rinse and spin.

Offline sportrider

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
thanks for the reply...

i left the unit unplugged overnight...  selected 'drain & spin'...  after the pre-check, the pump started and the tumbler did 4 separate slow turns and stopped... the pump continued to run for 4 minutes and stopped... start button light began flashing...

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Prss and hold the delay start button for 5 seconds then what happens?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »
I was thinking your control might not be getting confirmation of water level fill. Find the water pressure hose from tub to control. If it vibrated off then blow through it to clear objects like sediment. Then reconnect it tightly and make sure all the water is pumped out before retrying. If it is connected take it off the control and blow out the line making sure the sediment is moved. Then retry and party on!  O0

Fearless Leader's fabulous front loading GE washer service manual

See page 33 for water level control
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:05:53 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sportrider

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
thanks again for the replies...

i finally got a chance to get back to this junk of a washer...

pressing the 'delay start' button for 5 seconds 'locks' the washer... a little red padlock light comes on next to the start button...  holding the button for another 5 seconds 'unlocks' the washer...

i checked the water pressure hose... it was securely attached... i removed it and was able to blow through the tub - no clog...  i reconnected the tube and tried the washer again... same result...

i have a GE repair guy coming tomorrow... any last minute suggestions before i get out my checkbook?  :tickedoff:

thanks again for the help!!

Offline ajb34

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
I have a GE WCVH6400J1WW. My washer is doing the same thing only I don't think the light is flashing, got to check that. Service man came and said the fault code is a bad motor. He stated that the motor is approx $400. I found a new motor online for $200. Thinking of replacing it myself. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with an estimate.

How did you make out with your tech?

Also, is there a service manual on here for my model? Skimmed through a service manual for a different model that looks exactly the same as my model. I know I can replace the motor myself.

Offline kmp1067

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
This is a pain in the you know what to login and reply but this post comes up in a google search so hopefully I help someone.
Lights flashing, my lid lock was broke so I ordered a new one and installed it but still nothing would work. I looked everywhere inside the washer, even cut and tied the wires together for the other senser just under the lid on the left side behind the lid lock. Finally I opened the panel held in by two screws just above the washer lid and taped to the panel is maintenance instructions. Once the lid lock is replace or if something else goes wrong you need to enter service mode to reset the unit, it's on page 3. Hold the Start button and the fabric softener button 3 seconds in any position but position 6, which is position 6 O'clock, so use 5 or 7, after 3 seconds turn the knob to position 6, which is position 6 O'clock, keep holding the button for 3 more seconds, then release. All the lights should light, then go to position 8, 9, or 10 and push start to run through the test cycle. It will runlet it run for a while which is what I did, then turned it to the off position. To leave service mode you need to repeat the enter service mode procedure or turn the power off and back on or wait 15 minutes. I choose to leave service mode the same way I got in and everything worked after that.
Hope this helps someone :)
Ken

Washer stops mid cycle and then the start button flashes

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 16
Views: 8737
Last post October 26, 2010, 06:30:32 PM
by JWWebster
frigidaire front loading washer wont start up and start light just flashes

Started by tjthetech

Replies: 4
Views: 5163
Last post March 16, 2011, 08:23:03 PM
by krazytech
GE Washer stops right before spin cycle is supposed to start

Started by oldguard

Replies: 5
Views: 4059
Last post May 23, 2011, 09:43:55 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Cabrio washer shuts down at start of spin & lid lock light flashes

Started by tagarman

Replies: 9
Views: 19288
Last post January 24, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
by Try2fixem
Washer won't start, cascade of failures on Laundry Center

Started by JosephK

Replies: 6
Views: 3942
Last post November 14, 2007, 07:51:47 AM
by rickgburton
Washer Issue - Runs, Fills, Start Wash...Loud Grinding for 60s, Drain, Spin Done

Started by Moose101

Replies: 16
Views: 8204
Last post April 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
by AJ