Author Topic: LG Dryer wont heat- replaced the heating element and the thermostats  (Read 10289 times)

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
UGGGG.  I am frustrated.  The dryer stopped heating last week.  I ordered a new heating element and thermostats. I installed them and the dryer worked great....for three loads, then stopped heating again.  The new heating element had the thermostats already attached.  I did a thorough cleaning of the entire machine.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Model DLE3777W

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Have you cleaned the moisture sensors so that the control can get a jest of the dryness of them clothes? As them wet clothes rub against them sensors a capacitor gets discharged and the program keep a goin. When no moisture is sensed then them machine thank all is propah and proceed to shut down .
 Clean them sensors
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
If it were the sensors, wouldn't it just shut the dryer off though?  The dryer continues to run, without heat.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
UGGGG.  I am frustrated.  The dryer stopped heating last week.  I ordered a new heating element and thermostats. I installed them and the dryer worked great....for three loads, then stopped heating again.  The new heating element had the thermostats already attached.  I did a thorough cleaning of the entire machine.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Model DLE3777W

You may have a problem with a restricted exhaust vent in the house.  Does it take a long time to dry your clothes??  If so, you should have your exhaust vent in the wall cleaned out.  It's possible that the restricted vent may have blown the high limit switch shutting down the heater element.  You can just change the high limit switch and it should work fine.

Also check your circuit breaker to make sure that it didn't trip.  Usually it's a double 30amp breaker.

Good luck.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
I don't see a high limit switch in the service manual.  I do see a switch though (k640) in service manual diagram and PART NUMBER: 3W40025D.  It's about a $5 part.  Is that it?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
I don't see a high limit switch in the service manual.  I do see a switch though (k640) in service manual diagram and PART NUMBER: 3W40025D.  It's about a $5 part.  Is that it?

No, the high limit switch is F130.  The part number is 6931EL3003D.  It's right up against the heating element.  Before you replace it, make sure that it's broken.  Use your ohm meter to measure it.  If it's open, replace it.  
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
That switch is a thermostat (s listed in repair manual), and was replaced as well.  
I replaced the following:   

6931EL3001E THERMOSTAT

6931EL3003D THERMOSTAT

5301EL1001A HEATER

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I don't see a high limit switch in the service manual.  I do see a switch though (k640) in service manual diagram and PART NUMBER: 3W40025D.  It's about a $5 part.  Is that it?

No, the high limit switch is F130.  The part number is 6931EL3003D.  It's right up against the heating element.  Before you replace it, make sure that it's broken.  Use your ohm meter to measure it.  If it's open, replace it.  
F130? That ain't no limit that is a fan switch. I guess you mean L-130 which is a control thermostat for perma press not a limit. Limits are 250 and 300 degrees and mount directly on the heater; they do not control the heat only trip if the dryer gets too hot.

Did you mount the 6931EL3001E on the heater chamber? If ya did then the dryer would not function properly. It should be mounted on the blower housing. It judges the air coming from the drum and going out of the machine and is a control thermostat. Them other thangs are safetys
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:42:22 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
the heater had the thermostats attached when they arrived. 

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Did you get it fixed then? I was not sure if the parts you listed fixed it or are you still looking for help?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
Re: LG Dryer wont heat- replaced the heating element and the thermostats
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »
it is not fixed.  i replaced the parts, and it worked for two loads then stopped heating again. 

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:52:41 AM »
Are you able to check voltage to the dryer right after it quits heating to make sure one side of the 220 volts is not getting dropped?

Seems like maybe some kind of bad connection if it heats for a couple loads and then quits. Could be a bad connection that opens up after it gets hot then after it cools down it makes connection again.

Maybe a bad connection at the breaker or were the power cord connects to the back of the dryer.

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:30 AM »
if that were the case, wouldn't it get hot agin after cooling down?

Offline cotterm

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
The dryer does not heat after cooling.  Any other thoughts at all?  May have to call in a repair man (no disrespect to the pros), but I really like to fix things myself.  I have 3 boys that I have help with projects so that they can learn to be handy as they get older.  We are really into this one!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
I don't have any other idea's on this one, sorry. Maybe another tech will have something to add.

If you do call a tech in to repair it please post back to let us know what he found.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Dryer not heating, thermostats and element good

Started by Norm D

Replies: 8
Views: 3974
Last post June 25, 2010, 10:53:58 AM
by Norm D
70 Series electric dryer.. no heat.. its not the heating element

Started by dans70dry

Replies: 10
Views: 4287
Last post September 19, 2010, 11:39:29 AM