Author Topic: Recharge Kit  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
Recharge Kit
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
Is this everything I would need to accomplish a recharge?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Recharge Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
No it is not.
Are you putting this an automobile?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
OR ya could do it the redneck way:
Using an old compressor for vacuum pump, you need gauges so that you can connect the vacuum pump to the high side, the freon to the center hose (yellow) and the blue hose to the ice box.
On the first photo that can of freon has an old school can tap from back in the day. That tap will hold that gas in the can forever. The newer screw on type tap from automotive stores ain't worth nothing. Once you tap into the can the thing is gonna leak out in a day or 2 . This tap made by Richie (I believe) is a nice one. Even though the plastic handle broke years ago it is still better than any newer style tap.
I soldiered son bicycle valves on the old compressor and made a vacuum pump out of it. It also does a great job airing up tires on my lawn mower and vehicles.
Like I said you need gauges though if you intend to repair a leak. Any air in the system and you will have ice. Ice means blockage and restricted freon flow means no cooling.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:17:47 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
No it is not.
Are you putting this an automobile?

Obviously not, I need it for a refrigerator.
OR ya could do it the redneck way:
Using an old compressor for vacuum pump, you need gauges so that you can connect the vacuum pump to the high side, the freon to the center hose (yellow) and the blue hose to the ice box.
On the first photo that can of freon has an old school can tap from back in the day. That tap will hold that gas in the can forever. The newer screw on type tap from automotive stores ain't worth nothing. Once you tap into the can the thing is gonna leak out in a day or 2 . This tap made by Richie (I believe) is a nice one. Even though the plastic handle broke years ago it is still better than any newer style tap.
I soldiered son bicycle valves on the old compressor and made a vacuum pump out of it. It also does a great job airing up tires on my lawn mower and vehicles.
Like I said you need gauges though if you intend to repair a leak. Any air in the system and you will have ice. Ice means blockage and restricted freon flow means no cooling.

Wow, JW that seems a little tricky,but, I think I am up for the challenge.  Unless there is an easier way I can get the equpment I need?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
The gauge and the schraeder tap in the lower front picture are for cars not refrigerators.
The stop leak is not recommended,it causes more problems than it solves.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
You should also have a 608 Type I certificate.  You could get a big fine from the EPA for working on refrigeration without it. I got mine at www.epatest.com. It cost $25 and you take the test online, and it's open book.   

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
You should also have a 608 Type I certificate.  You could get a big fine from the EPA for working on refrigeration without it. I got mine at www.epatest.com. It cost $25 and you take the test online, and it's open book.   

Great advice.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
It's also nice to have a torch and a electronic leak detector.

You don't have to buy it all at once or even buy it new. Look around on ebay and maybe place a ad on craigslist.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »
I am type 1 certified. The test has to do with proper handling of freon but it does not cover anything whatsoever about repairing refrigeration. You gotta have it tho to buy freon like R-22 or R-12 etc. It is not needed to buy environmentally safe R134A which you are using and anyone can buy.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
Minus well get certified.  I will probably learn something in the process, but, like JW said it probably doesn't go into much detail on how to actually recharge a unit?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
What you must do is remove the atmosphere from the innards of the icebox freon highway. Any air inside that equation will cause the freon to react and make ice. My little home made vacuum pump is a multi-tasker. It not only blows but it sucks also. That makes it ideal to remove air from the system. You need to connect a red hose from your gauges to the vacuum pumper. When you have allowed enough time to get that low side gauge down to negative 30 AND you feel enough time have elapsed to get all the moisture out the sealed system then with the vacuum pump a going you close off the red valve on the high side hose. You shut down the vacuum pump. You wait. Why? You want to see if the pressure drops on the system. If it drops you still have a leak. If after a long while all night OR at least an hour the needle ain't moved then you can be fairly sure the repair is holding and their are no more leaks. At that point you would open the freon a hair and SLOWLY add the gas to prevent damaging the valves inside the compressor. You would then crank the unit up. and slowly add in the freon NEVER allowing the needle to get above 10PSI.
This is a time consuming process. If you rush this step you fug it up. Kapish?
Once the pressure remains steady at 5PSI you stop and allow the ice box to get cold inside. If you have 5 PSI close off the tap and wait 24 hours for the result.

Note:
 Notice I didn't have to remove any hoses after vacuuming out the system? This is critical. You could vacuum to the moon and back but if you had to remove the hoses to connect your rig to the ice box to charge it, you would allow air to get into the sealed system and fug it up. That is why you need gauges.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:30:43 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 08:42:28 PM »
I do not do it that way.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
Well then give us your method. That is what this forum is all about.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »
(You need to connect a red hose from your gauges to the vacuum pumper)
yellow hose to the pump
red to high side
blue to low side
( If after a long while all night OR at least an hour the needle ain't moved then you can be fairly sure the repair is holding and their are no more leaks.)
I give it 10 to 15 minutes

134a I charge to 0-3 psi on the low side...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Freezer Recharge

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 2
Views: 743
Last post August 29, 2011, 10:39:10 AM
by JWWebster