Author Topic: GE SS problems  (Read 2196 times)

Offline woodseyes

• VIP Member
GE SS problems
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
just got used GE profile performance Model # tfx30pb or pp has both on tag. Seemed to work ok while viewing it at sellers home. He stated that it had been working fine until DF code came on, Full of meat so just purchased a new unit. Cleaned coil, plugged in and it was working fine, had frozen water in freezer and cold bottled water in frig. Well needless to say after a couple of days in DF came back on, Back of freezer has then coat of frost, warm temp light is on and ff code is flashing. Can unplug for several hrs. and plug back in but not long before symptoms lights are back on. Is there any on-line repair manual out there and anyone who can give me some advice on repairs needed. I have tools to check electrical but not refrigerant. Not sure how to access areas need to get to ( defrost timer, defrost heater, valve, and so on).

Am THANKFUL for any help,
Woodseyes

Model TFX30PP

Offline woodseyes

• VIP Member
Re: GE SS problems
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »

REAL GREAT SITE! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP (HA! HA! HA!) YOU KNOW  WILL SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT HOW HELPFUL THIS SITE IS!

just got used GE profile performance Model # tfx30pb or pp has both on tag. Seemed to work ok while viewing it at sellers home. He stated that it had been working fine until DF code came on, Full of meat so just purchased a new unit. Cleaned coil, plugged in and it was working fine, had frozen water in freezer and cold bottled water in frig. Well needless to say after a couple of days in DF came back on, Back of freezer has then coat of frost, warm temp light is on and ff code is flashing. Can unplug for several hrs. and plug back in but not long before symptoms lights are back on. Is there any on-line repair manual out there and anyone who can give me some advice on repairs needed. I have tools to check electrical but not refrigerant. Not sure how to access areas need to get to ( defrost timer, defrost heater, valve, and so on).

Am THANKFUL for any help,
Woodseyes

Model TFX30PP

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
DF = Defrost

There is a problem with the defrost system. There are only three parts to all refrigerator defrost systems.

1. Defrost Timer - Mechanical or electronic board.
2. Defrost Heater
3. Defrost thermostat

You can ohm out the defrost heater and thermostat with a multimeter to check them.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
When the DF appears remove the service panel and check the evap for frost build. Check the heater and heater thermostat for continuity. Note the heater thermostat needs to be checked while it is frozen at 25f. It takes no time at all for the heater thermostat to get above 50f where it will shut down like it is supposed to do. The defrost mode is 20 minutes. The defrost element/heater would damage the ice box if ithe terminator failed failed to shut down the heater. These GEs use a glass tube type heater . Look for the ends to be back or a foggy innards. That would tell you the heater is Kaput.
Heater replacement video
Termininator replacement.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:24:25 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore 106.52552100 ice maker problems

Started by philhyde

Replies: 8
Views: 8703
Last post August 16, 2007, 07:33:28 AM
by philhyde
Kenmore SxS Model 106.56563400 Ice Maker Problems

Started by Kman

Replies: 4
Views: 4834
Last post September 07, 2007, 12:45:10 PM