Author Topic: Spider replacement on WM3360HRCA Washer  (Read 2038 times)

Offline cgroppi

• VIP Member
Spider replacement on WM3360HRCA Washer
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
I am replacing the bearings on my WM3360HRCA. I tried to remove the old bearings with a Harbor Freight pilot bearing puller, but they were so rusted in the tub, I broke the bearing puller. I just bought a replacement tub, and a spider just to be sure. The old one looks OK, except for the splined shaft. I had to beat on it so hard with a hammer to get the shaft out of the bearings that I mushroomed the end of the shaft.

It all seems simple enough, but I can't figure out how to get the old spider off the stainless tub. The bolts that hold the spider on just spin in place when I try to remove them. I figure there must be nuts on the other side, but I can't figure out how to remove the plastic arms inside the tub. I expect the nuts are under those arms. The covers come off, but the heavy duty plastic underneath seems like it's bonded to the tub with some sort of adhesive. They look like they slide on and lock, but they won't come off. I tried prying one off with a flat bladed screwdriver, but the plastic isn't strong enough and starts to break.

How do I get the spider off? If I can't I'll have to try to recondition the existing spider. I can probably grind the end of the shaft with a dremel to get rid of the mushrooming. I would only have to grind about 1/8" from the end, which would leave most of the splines. The shaft seal area looks good, without much corrosion. The shaft seal itself had turned hard and brittle, and had detached itself from the outer tub.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: Spider replacement on WM3360HRCA Washer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
You should order the stainless steel drum assembly part #AJQ54138204. This will include the spider assembly already in place.  

The spider shaft is normally warped out of spec if it has been pounded hard enough to get it out.  It is not recommended that you reuse the spider assembly.

If you have your receipt, this part is covered under the parts extended warranty with LG.  It should be free if it's within 7 to 10 years.  Not sure which but it is in your owner's manual.

Don't forget to replace the gasket seal  4036ER4001B or it will leak when you put everything back together.

Good luck
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 44059
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7560
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
Whirlpool Washer timer replacement

Started by stogie4me

Replies: 6
Views: 8330
Last post May 05, 2009, 09:17:43 AM
by JWWebster
MAYTAG washer drive belt replacement

Started by chevyt

Replies: 1
Views: 1518
Last post November 05, 2009, 02:50:24 PM
by JWWebster
Older Kenmore washer - tub bottom gasket replacement - help needed.

Started by colohigh

Replies: 6
Views: 5325
Last post December 19, 2009, 06:14:51 AM
by Repair-man
LG Tromm Washer Gasket Replacement

Started by jw1976

Replies: 12
Views: 13849
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:45:56 PM
by tgoods