Author Topic: Sears 600 series not spinning  (Read 2324 times)

Offline thehawdis

• VIP Member
Sears 600 series not spinning
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some advice. I'm new to major appliance tinkering but comfortable with all types of repairs.

Our washer stopped spinning, but still drains. Lid switch is fine, and motor runs fine on spin cycle with lid switch engaged. Problem is, drive shaft isn't spinning at all. When I take of the agitator, and engage the spin cycle, the shaft doesn't spin.

I've removed the cabinet, removed the motor and the drive coupler is intact and looks fine. It is the newer style coupler with the steel enforced spindle. I also inspected the clutch and it seems ok, although I'm not sure what to look for.

At this point I'm thinking I'm in it for a new tranny, although there is no strange grinding noises, smells or anything when I activate the spin cycle. Does anyone have any other ideas of what to look for?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Marty

Model 110.27632600

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Sears 600 series not spinning
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »

May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
On the previous post I show a link to a bad main drive gear. As you can see the main drive gear and pinion are easy to replace.  Both videos are awesome would you agree?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline thehawdis

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
Awesome man, thanks for the quick reply.  Thats what I thought.  I don't want to mess with the gearcase, so I just ordered a rebuilt gearcase that comes with a free clutch and drive couple from the auction site for $110.

I saw a couple people on youtube saying that its the steel reinforced drive couplers that actually cause these problems, because instead of just the coupler getting worn and slipping you are wearing the gears instead, I guess that makes sense.  Anyway, the gearcase I bought comes with the old style pure plastic drive coupler so hopefully this will be the last gearcase I buy.

cheers

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
As long as you always use is on high water setting and never wash comforters or rugs in there you should not have any problems.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline thehawdis

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
I just read somewhere else it could be the brake?  Is that possible with the symptoms I have? Is there a way I can test that?  Don't want to get this new tranny unnecessarily!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
Click on pic:
After you get the agitator and tranny out and remove the inner basket. Look for objects under there. I had a magic marker under the basket last year that was stopping the spinning. The brake just give it a twist to release the brake and yank it out.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:41:44 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
It's not likely the brake.  You know the coupler is good so check the clutch. Put it into spin, if the clutch doesn't spin, the transmission is bad.  If it does spin, check for a sock caught between the wash basket and tub. If nothing is caught between the tubs, replace the clutch.

Offline thehawdis

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
AHHHHH--- FIXED.  Thanks much tgoods and esp JWWebster!

crusty sock found between baskets right at the top under the cover, stopping the spin.  I didn't have the spanner wrench so i just used a small pipe wrench I had on one of the drive block splines and hit with small sledge and it worked fine to unscrew it.  Hopefully I didn't burn up the tranny, but for now seems to be working!  Have the new tranny, clutch, coupler en route to me anyway, so I think I will just hold on to them just in case anything else comes up.  I definitely know how thins things works inside and out now.  Also found out my agitator dogs are totally shot so ordered a couple sets of those. 

Really appreciate all the help!  I posted on a couple appliance forums and this one has by far the most help and active techs.

Marty

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »
Glad ye could Git er did O0
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Sears Kenmore HD80 Series Washer Skipping Rinse Cycle

Started by rljulian

Replies: 2
Views: 3928
Last post January 14, 2009, 08:07:55 AM
by Mr. Fix-It
kenmore 70 series washer not spinning

Started by snault80

Replies: 5
Views: 13800
Last post December 08, 2008, 05:50:35 PM