Author Topic: Duet Washer Not Running  (Read 3106 times)

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
Duet Washer Not Running
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
I purchased the above referenced washer 15 months ago.  For those keeping track this is exactly 3 months after the warranty expired.  Right before vacation the washer would not start a load and displayed F70 followed by F71.  Attempting a simple fix due to our pending departure I simply unplugged the washer for 2 to 3 minutes.  After plugging back in any attempts to push the power button resulted in a beep, beep, beep.  Worse, the door remained locked with clothes inside.  I was able to get a repairman the next day (literally right before leaving).  His diagnoses was a bad motor control board (MCU).  Estimated repair was $524 for parts and $129 for labor.  Having only paid $700 for the machine I declined.  Besides, I wanted to do a little research on my own.

Following advice found on this forum and others I've done the following:
Confirmed power at the board
Checked continuity on the 3 blue wires
Removed the 3 blue wires and attempted to run the wash.  The washer would power up, dispense a little water, pause for a minute and then display F28 (which was expected)

Based on this testing I decided to go ahead and order an MCU online since the repair seemed simple enough. It was also considerably less than $500.  Today I installed the new unit.  Everything is repeating all over. Same code F70, same beeps when pushing power.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Model WFW9400SW03

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Duet Washer Not Running
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Open the door close the door hit wash cycle and tell what happens.

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
Thank you for your response.  Washer was unplugged.  I plugged it in.  Opened the door.  Closed the door firmly.  With the wash selector on normal I pressed the power button and received 3 beeps/tones.  If I unplugged the 3 blue wire harness from the MCU I can press power and the washer will turn on.  I can select a wash cycle and hit start and the machine will begin the cycle.  By begin I mean it will lock the door, dispense a small amount of water, and various relays begin clicking.  After a couple a minutes the washer will display F28.  Unplugging this harness is the only way I get any response from the machine.  Otherwise it just beeps with no lights or other action.  Online research lead to believe this confirmed a bad MCU.  You may email me directly at ryjeffiesATyahooDOTcom if you prefer.  I would also provide you with my phone number via email if you'd like.  Thank you again.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
If you have a meter, take the bottom panel off.put your meter to ac and test the power at the motor control when you try and start the unit.

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
Meter on the two pink wires going to the MCU.  Push power button, it just beeps, no voltage to the meter.   Hit cancel, remove the 3 blue wires, hit power.  The panel lights up, I push and hold start, after the door locks I get 120 volts.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »
When you turn it on and start it the door should lock then you should get power to the motor control.Does the door lock?

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:26:09 PM »
Yes, the door locks.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »
Then do you get power to the motor control?

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
No, if the 3 blue wire are connected (because nothing works)
Yes, 120v if the 3 blue wires are disconnected.

Offline ryjeffries

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »
As it turns out, there is a switch on the lower panel.  If you do not replace the panel, you'll drive yourself nuts while testing and troubleshooting.  Replace your faulty part, replace the panel, then test.  In that order.  Sage advice from a newbie.  Thanks to those who helped and to those who provide this forum where us DIYers can seek and share knowledge.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
I imagine they install that switch to kill power down there so the novice won't git bit while cleaning out that filter. Some microwave ovens have a hidden switch in the back. A longer screw must go back to hit the leaf switch or the machine won't power up.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 31325
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6022
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 71074
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM
by GB-NC
Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 13076
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet Sport Front Load Washer Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 13908
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
by Rick32k
Whirlpool Duet Washer, no Operation