Author Topic: Carrier Heat Pump How long should a dual run capacitor last  (Read 5333 times)

Offline MerciMe

• VIP Member
Our house was built in 2004 and we had lots of problems with our air conditioner from the first time we turned it on and it wouldn't cool. We had multiple freon leaks and even had the coil replaced in our furnace.  We finally decided to change from the installation contractor to another company in 2009 when our a/c again failed.  They had to replace our dual run capacitor and add freon.  

Yesterday in the 100 degree heat, I noticed that the house was warmer than usual.  The air was blowing but was not very cool (probably recirculating the air in the house).  The a/c unit outside was not running.  We turned off the breaker, brushed a little cottonwood fuzz off the unit (wasn't much) and sprayed it with the hose and let it sit.  When we turned it back on, something was running but it didn't sound like it usually does and the fan was not moving.  When the serviceman came out today, he brought a capacitor with him after talking to the oncall tech we called last night.  He had it fixed in about 20 minutes and seemed surprised when I told him we just replaced it two years ago.  Can we expect to have this expense every other year?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: How long should a dual run capacitor last
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
These newer caps have a diff innards due to the PCB ban. They just do not hold up like the older ones did.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: How long should a dual run capacitor last
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
Give us the model number off the compressor.
It is possible too small a capacitor is on the unit.
Take a Kid fishing.

Carrier Heat pump OAT 25HPA

Started by chrissymustang

Replies: 4
Views: 5205
Last post February 02, 2011, 05:21:06 PM
by chrissymustang
Carrier split system heat pump

Started by GCLOER

Replies: 2
Views: 2377
Last post January 29, 2012, 03:14:25 PM