Author Topic: Whirlpool LS9010 - Fixed Transmission, Clutch, now bangs on spin when empty  (Read 2456 times)

Offline grleblanc

• VIP Member
So I had an intermittent spin problem, and i wasn't sure what it was. So i decided to repair the tranny (neutral drain kit) and put in a new coupler and clutch in the bargain. After i did that, i plugged it in and turned it on , and it worked just fine until I got to the spin cycle. When it first starts spinning, it seems fine, but as it goes faster it starts to oscillate out of control and the banging starts. This happens when i have no clothes in it, and even when the agitator is out of the machine.

The banging didn't happen before, it just started after the repairs i mentioned above. All the springs seem to be ok.

So I am thinking a couple of things:
1) it looks to me like the machine was spinning slow before and now is spinning much faster now that the clutch is replaced. Maybe the faster (normal) spin is the problem, and my springs are bad. My theory is that the old springs can't take the faster speed. So i am going to replace them to see if that solves the problem.

2) Has anyone seen a washer that once the clutch was replaced the washer started banging because of the return to full spin speed?

3) I am going to also look at my drive block, maybe that is worn and causing the problem now that the machine is spinning faster again.

4) Maybe i screwed up the transmission by putting in the neutral drain kit - it looked ok and everything else works fine. Is there a way that i could have incorrectly assembled the transmission that would cause it to wobble at high speed? Doesn't seem too likely, but i would like to know if anyone has ever seen a transmission that wobbles.

If anyone has any other ideas on this subject, that would be great, and any comments on any of the ideas i listed.

Thanks
George L

Model LSQ9010LW0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
All the springs seem to be ok.

All four of them? There are the three main suspension springs and a fourth spring in back that counter balances the motor. Sometimes that fourth back spring pops off and people don't see it.

Has anyone seen a washer that once the clutch was replaced the washer started banging because of the return to full spin speed?

Yes, I have seen this.

If the drive block looks ok then I would consider changing the three suspension springs and the skate plate. Of coarse you also want to make sure the washer is level and the front legs are locked in place.

Also make sure the floor it's sitting on is solid.

WHIRLPOOL 3946509 Skate Plate, AP3131363

WHIRLPOOL 63907 Suspension Spring, AP3136257

Maybe i screwed up the transmission by putting in the neutral drain kit - it looked ok and everything else works fine. Is there a way that i could have incorrectly assembled the transmission that would cause it to wobble at high speed? Doesn't seem too likely, but i would like to know if anyone has ever seen a transmission that wobbles.

I don't think anything you could have done installing a neutral drain kit would cause it to wobble at high speed.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
You might have done what I did one time and that was I got the skate plate out of alignment with the base. It was off just enough to throw it out of balance on high spin.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline grleblanc

• VIP Member
Thanks for the quick replies! This is an amazing site.
I am going to order new springs, pads, and drive block, as long as i have it apart i might was well do it all. I don't think i should order a new skate plate, thinking that the pads should be enough. True

I just read a post somewhere else that the spin problem only happens with the normal fast spin and i found that is true for me too. So at least i can wash some clothes while i am waiting for the parts.

I sure could have gotten the skate plate out of position, so will check that first tomorrow morning.

I will post back my results after i finish the job.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
I sure could have gotten the skate plate out of position, so will check that first tomorrow morning.

When you check it also lift it up enough so you can inspect the spots on the plate that the pads rub on.

A new skate plate also come with all new pads. Sometimes if it is truly a problem with the pads you can take some sandpaper and rough them up a bit to get things working right again.

I will post back my results after i finish the job.

Please do...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
How you coming along with the washer?

Offline grleblanc

• VIP Member
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. It turned out that my skate plate was out of place. I adjusted it and it works fine now. I actually bought like $50 worth of parts before i fixed it, which are now sitting in a box in my garage.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Glad you got it fixed.  O0

I actually bought like $50 worth of parts before i fixed it, which are now sitting in a box in my garage.

If you purchased the parts from one of our parts affiliates you maybe interested to know that they both have a 365 day return policy.

AppliancePartsPros.com 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

RepairClinic.com 365-Day, No Hassle Return Policy!

Affiliate Disclosure

Video: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Clutch, Brake Transmission - Gear Case

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 12296
Last post January 26, 2008, 08:15:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
63341 Whirlpool Washer Gear Case - Transmission Spin Pawl

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3687
Last post July 08, 2009, 05:59:23 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool gearcase/clutch/spin tube question (ATTN: Repair-man)

Started by landlady

Replies: 6
Views: 3014
Last post February 14, 2011, 08:17:00 PM
by landlady
Whirlpool top load washer won't spin - replaced coupler and clutch

Started by kodiakmook

Replies: 4
Views: 2049
Last post January 25, 2012, 01:58:55 AM
by Washaman
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin