Author Topic: Maytag A612 transmission - Replace old style with new oribital (2-6707) ??  (Read 7652 times)

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Remember left hand thread.

Thanks.  Do you also grease the carbon ring on the stem seal?  I was told to keep the carbon ring clean but a video I found shows them greasing the stem as well as the top and bottom of the seal.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Never on both,that is what Maytag always told me. They are pre-lubed.

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Never on both,that is what Maytag always told me. They are pre-lubed.

Thanks!!  That's also what the instructions said that came withe the stem kit.  I guess I'll just lube the bottom of the stem seal and the stem itself but keep the carbon ring clean as possible.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I think Angel was talkin bout if yall use the same seal as before when swappin out the tranny in his video. It's a dang good video and I put it on Foggy:
 Angel's videos
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:42:23 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
That makes sense.  Should I still grease the transmission neck and the tub bearing sleeve?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I would grease anythang I could. The more the betta.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Maybe this is the problem, the tub sleeve bearing seems to be frozen on the transmission neck and there was little if any grease between the sleeve and the tub.  Perhaps this is the bearing that caused the belt to burn.

So if there a trick to removing the sleeve bearing??  I've tried squirting it with PB Blaster, prying it with a screwdriver, twisting, pulling but it just won't come off.  Unfortunately the new transmission did not come with a new sleeve bearing so I'd like to reuse the old one if possible.

Attached are pics.

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
I found a spring when I removed the old mounting stem and boot seal.  This spring was around the transmission shaft.  The new mounting stem and seal kit did not include a spring and Angel's video didn't mention or show a spring.  So is this spring used only with the old transmission or should I clean it up and use it with the new transmission?

See attached photos....

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
The bearing does not spin on the transmission. It spins inside the other bearing. The spring was from the old style seal and is no longer used. I would get a new bearing as long as you have it torn down. I also don't use ANY grease on the bearing or seal in fear that it may work it's way to the new seal and damage it.You will notice the new seal is pre-lubed with grease and a small amount at that.

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Hey guys, thanks for all the help and tips.  I finished the job tonight, new transmission, new mount stem & seal, new tub bearing and new belts.  All cycles work, including agitation, the machine works like new!

Now on to fixing my mother's 142 washing machine....

Maytag Transmison, part number: AP4319068

Maytag Mounting Stem Repair Kit, part number: AP4390013

Maytag Tub Bearing Kit, part number: AP4372971

Maytag Pump and Drive Belts, part number: AP4011179

Offline sc

• VIP Member
dont forget the brake tool. you will need to remove the brake at the lower end of the trans shaft you will find another bearing resting in the brake assy.this causes noise but not belt burning. when you pull out the tub the top bearing may be rusted to top trans shaft this bearing will cause binding and belt burning.also dont forget to remove torx screw from from top seal kit before using spanner tool.

Appliance Repair Tools

Maytag Transmission - Replace Lube?

Started by BrokeMaytag

Replies: 7
Views: 1062
Last post November 08, 2012, 10:09:15 AM
by Bailey
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 25092
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
Video: Replace Belts on Maytag Dependable Care Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 6110
Last post November 20, 2007, 07:44:07 PM
by AJ
Maytag SAV515D Washer how to replace belt