Author Topic: Maytag A612 transmission - Replace old style with new oribital (2-6707) ??  (Read 8461 times)

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
My sister has a Maytag A612 washing machine.  One of the transmission bearings went out so the appliance shop sold her a new orbital transmission, part #2-6707.  However, after opening up the washing machine, I saw the old transmission is a different style, part #2-3438.

So will a 2-6707 transmission be a direct replacement for an older style 2-3438 transmission?

Thanks.

--Yubert

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Interesting question indeed. Lets do a parts comparison. Instead of the dash lets post in the box this 206707 we come up with THIS.
Now lets post in 203438 using a 0 instead of a dash and we get THIS.
The 203438 comes with agitator parts now isn't that special. :D

Note: when referencing all older Maycor parts numbers featuring a dash, always sub out a zero for the dash and all will be propah.

Seems to be a coupla parts added and the price goes up a coupla hundred dollars. Now maybe some brainiac will post their opinion of the price difference when the trannys seem to be identical. Come on guys.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:24:22 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Thanks JW for the tip on substituting a "-" for a "0" in the part number.  But the old transmission doesn't look like either of the two you linked.  I've attached pictures showing the difference. 

The first picture is the original and the second picture is the new one (206707).  As you can see, in the old transmission the gears are horizontal.  Whereas the new one, the gears are vertical. 

I want to make sure before I start tearing down the machine, the new transmission will indeed work as a direct replacement for the old one.

Thanks.

--Yubert

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Which bearing is going out? Your old style tranny ain't available anymore. You can only get the orbital one pictured above.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Not sure which bearing is going out but it seems to affect the agitation cycle, causing the belt to 'burn'.  I was thinking of just replacing the bearing but since my sister already bought the new transmission, I'll just use that. 

Do you know why Maytag switched transmission designs?  Are there any advantages to the orbital transmission??

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
They switched to the orbital design as an economic alternative. They have had most of the trouble with the orbital type. Them old style trannys were pretty dependable. You sure the pump didn't cause that belt to burn up?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:16:42 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
The new orbital drive was a much more serviceable transmission. As an example I could replace the gears and shafts if needed without removing the transmission from the machine. True they had a few more problems than the old but lifespan was about the same. I have one that is going on 25 years and no transmission trouble.

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
You sure the pump didn't cause that belt to burn up?

I'm fairly certain it's not the pump because I removed both belts and the transmission belt had a burn spot but the pump belt looked fine.  Plus I didn't notice any resistance when I spun the pulley for the pump.

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
The new orbital drive was a much more serviceable transmission. As an example I could replace the gears and shafts if needed without removing the transmission from the machine. True they had a few more problems than the old but lifespan was about the same. I have one that is going on 25 years and no transmission trouble.

Thanks and it's good to know it's more serviceable.  I just hope there will be parts available if it breaks down in 25 years...

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
Where can I get a spanner wrench, part #TB123A ??   I want to remove the mounting stem so I can remove the outer tub.  I used an oscillating tool to cut off the inner drum clamp nut but don't want to try that with the mounting stem and risk damaging the old transmission shaft.

Or is there another way to remove the mounting stem nut?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
A punch and hammer may work, but I use the TB123A wrench myself.

Where can I get a spanner wrench, part #TB123A ??

You can enter the part number in the 'Diagrams & Parts' search box on the left side of our site or click here.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
Remember left hand thread.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
I have one to do , anyone have a service manual or a step by step video?
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline yubert

• VIP Member
A punch and hammer may work, but I use the TB123A wrench myself.

Where can I get a spanner wrench, part #TB123A ??

You can enter the part number in the 'Diagrams & Parts' search box on the left side of our site or click here.

Thanks.  I was able to borrow a TB123A from a local Maytag shop but next time I'll look at getting parts from AppliancePartsPro first since it seems it sponsors this website and this website has been very helpful!   :)

Maytag Transmission - Replace Lube?

Started by BrokeMaytag

Replies: 7
Views: 1414
Last post November 08, 2012, 10:09:15 AM
by Bailey
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 29179
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
Video: Replace Belts on Maytag Dependable Care Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 7514
Last post November 20, 2007, 07:44:07 PM
by AJ
Maytag SAV515D Washer how to replace belt