Author Topic: Pro Forum: A Private Tech-Only Forum for Professional Appliance Repair Techs  (Read 76193 times)

Offline Erv

• Technician

Hey Brent.....I hear ya bout the cell phone.  I just use plain ole talk on the phone cell....no smart phone.  Although I like the computer, just can't get into smart phone......screen too small......lol.

I used to work in Winnipeg, Mb. at Fleming Pedlar aka: Hussmann: aka Ingersol Rand, for 25 years.
Worked before that for 2 other small places for 4 years. I started in the trade in 1976.  Did grocery stores....rack systems, skating rinks, curling rinks, warehouses, vegetable storage, ice machines,a/c....etc.  Pretty much seen it all.  Touched a bit in Ammonia...but too smelly......lol.   

Got tired of the big city...moved to country, and never looked back....much better way of life!

I hear you bout the bottom end not moving so good anymore.  My 55th bday..was just a couple weeks ago....you can feel the slowing down thing a bit.  Used to mountain bike....windsurf....etc.  Had some horses...I live in country on acreage.... but one died and didn't want to keep just one.  Fair bit of work baling hay.  The hardest part is picking 400 square bales.  You handle every bale at least 3 times....lol....so 1200 x 50lbs.....= sore back....and lots of muscle rub.....lol.
A good experience anyhow....the horses are good fun...real characters.  I truly do miss them!

Anyhow....I am sure from browsing on this site....and from what you have said, this will be a great place to find info.  I have managed pretty good so far...but any help is great. 

And yes...I like the drop offs also.  None of this kneeling down and hauling half the truck into a kitchen!

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
Erv,  I will clairify my post so you really get my point.  In todays time, time is money,  and time can cost you plenty.   Having a cell that will do what ever for you, is priceless, plus it will save you mega time in a customers home. My son can go to Google, put in the make and code, and bingo.  So again,  having a vehicle versis walking or riding a bike in todays times, is a no brainer.  The vehicle has the tools, the parts, the ability to do the call now and quickly. 

Having a cell that can get out you into a in-home service call, find out the make and what the call is if you didn't do it before when the call came in, then you can stand infront of the machine, and have your info in seconds.   Having to go back to the shop to look things up etc, take to much time, so it is costing you for not being up to date.

My son can look up the part to see if its in stock at the part suppliers, or its a special order, and how long its going to take, and the price.  We get paid for the service call now, plus if they want us to order the part, they pay that up front also.  In other words, you take care of your business or they will.   My suppliers want paid at the end of the month, if not, they hold all your orders till you do.  If you can't pay on the agreed time, then they don't want you for a wholesale customer.

I am in a population of 2700 in town, and 8000 in the area.  I have been doing just drop offs for over a year, as I am having issues with my bottom half and need a cane.  My son does all the in home calls,  and am in my 28th year now.  I will carry on in the shop, till I can't anymore, and my son will keep the business going.

My son also does computers, so he is busy.   Every thing he does is on his cell,  he uses that for every thing, plus.  Us older generation are finding this new stuff a stuggle,  since having my son come back and take over,  this stuff is nothing for him to figure out in a very short time.

For instance, we had a Frigidaire front loader in here, with a ddo code, but the information with it had nothing  that looked like that.  He pulled out his cell and in a minute or two, he said, Dad, its the dispenser door is open, ok.  So he pulled out the front main board, and took his meter and tested the switch, and nothing, so took out his screw driver (magnetic) and touched the switch and all the lights came on and all is fine.

So where was the magnet, who knows, couldn't even find where it fit on the dispenser. Cost for the magnet 23.00 plus frt, plus taxes, plus labour.

We put in a used dispenser with a magnet, and all works just fine.  As I said, he found the problem fast, right out front at the washer, and we tested it and run it through, and that takes much longer to test it, but if you don't test it,  you get to come back on your time.

You get into a home with these jazz boards, and have to reprogram them and they give you the wrong code, then with the cell you can get it and have that fridge up and running, and also they see what you are doing,  and we have no problem getting paid.  Mind you we do know who had money, and who doesn't.

Some of the tech here on Johns forum,  don't get paid after a call, until they get the parts and return.  We have found we have less problems if we charge and get paid up front for labour parts taxes, all of it.   We show the customer the problem, the cost, the availability of the parts, and the costs, all up front.  They like that.   So far its working for us just fine.

Erv,  you will struggle big time with out a cell with internet access. Very costly.   In todays times you must be able to diagnose the problem,  and have access to information now.  Going home and into a forum to get help takes to much time,  and time cost money.  Get a cell with every thing on it, unlimited 61.00 is what it cost my son.   Priceless Erv priceless.  ps  I just got a cell like my daughters, much bigger screen than my sons, but he likes his, and I like mine.  My opinion of cells is not the same as before, my son came home to run things.   My eyes and mind are wide open.

It will take me time Erv, but I am for it.   I could of retired 3 years ago, but what the hell would I do.  So am still doing what i can, and what I can't doesn't matter.  Theres a lot of things that don't matter anymore, right.  The best to you Erv, go get a fancy cell and things will just be in the past, but it will save you a lot of $$$$$ leaks that just the old standard cell will not even tough the one with everything on it.

A long winded post hey Erv, Brent@CanBC O0

Offline Wardco

• Technician
hi .. i have been a tech for years... old school type.. lol

i have had 5 different appliance stores .. all under the same name

it would be great to get in touch with a few appliance junkies from other areas

thanks..

Wardco

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Welcome Wardco!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline canatech

• Technician
hi AJ.... have been in the appliance repair business for over twenty years.. would like to join in on the tech forum as there is always a need for more knowledge.. thx

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Hi canatech, welcome...

Offline JCTech

• Technician
  • When in doubt, get a bigger hammer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Hi Aj. I've been a tech about 4 yrs and would love to join the pro side. I value advice from those who have been there. Jctech
"Life is short, drive fast."

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Welcome JCTech,

Offline JCTech

• Technician
  • When in doubt, get a bigger hammer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Great!! Looking forward to doin my share
"Life is short, drive fast."

Offline lesguns

• Technician
Standard Tv and Appliance is looking to hire an  experienced Tech in Portland Oregon

Offline nolling43

• Technician
HEY AJ, I'VE BEEN IN THE BUSINESS TOO LONG ! ! ! !   :D  AT ANY RATE, I AM HAMMOND'S IN-HOME APPLIANCE REPAIR IN PINETTA, FL 32350. DOING IN-WARRANTY AND EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR G.E., WHIRLPOOL, FRIGIDAIRE AND LOWE'S. AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE GREAT WEB-SITE ! ! ! ! !  (I TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE I TYPE SLOOOOOOW . . . . . . . . )  :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
nolling43, welcome...

Offline bryantappliance

• Technician
Just starting my business in appliance repair.  Would be very grateful for all the knowledge and help I can get. 

Thanks,

Tyler

Bryant's Appliance Repair
Glasgow, Ky

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Welcome bryantappliance!

Offline airbendr

• Technician
Hi AJ

35 plus years of appliance repairs  ;D
please add   .. :thanks:

picture at my website central OR

affordableappliancerepairbendor.com

just asked a question  that has me stumped on a MAH4000

cool site!  :popcorn:

Don't email us your appliance repair questions, post your questions in the forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3214
Last post December 27, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
by AJ
YouTube videos mentioned by ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3440
Last post August 14, 2011, 08:56:24 AM
by AJ
Question for appliance repair techs

Started by maypo52

Replies: 8
Views: 5809
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:57:00 PM
by accapp
Did you know that Sears had a appliance forum?

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 4424
Last post December 31, 2009, 09:51:07 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
APPLIANCE JUNK FORUM

Started by dab147315

Replies: 2
Views: 2962
Last post July 08, 2013, 06:05:28 AM
by rego
Wanted: GE factory authorized appliance repair service technician