Author Topic: wont go threw cycles  (Read 3832 times)

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
wont go threw cycles
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
ok new to the site .so with that said i have a Kenmore series 400 washer, and like the title says it will not go threw the cycles automatically.you can move it threw the cycles by hand,but it wont do it its self.im thinking it needs a timer but want to make sure.the part number i found for the timer is W10199989.does this look right .

thanks in advance ,
              Ruthless
Model 11029422800
PAIN IS ONLY IN THE MIND IF YOU CAN NOT CONTROL YOUR OWN PAIN WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN CONTROL ME

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: wont go threw cycles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
I looked up your model number and the factory part number for the timer is, W10199989.

If the timer does not advance in any cycles I would say it does sound like you have a problem with the timer and it needs to be replaced.

If you had a voltage meter you could use it to make sure you had voltage to the timer, but chances are you do have voltage to the timer and the timer it's self has just gone bad.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
thanks for the fast input.i was pretty sure it needed a timer just wanted to make sure my thoughts were right.i do have a meter and was going to check for voltage but but the batt.are dead.thanks again
 ruthless
PAIN IS ONLY IN THE MIND IF YOU CAN NOT CONTROL YOUR OWN PAIN WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN CONTROL ME

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
Your welcome, let us know how the repair went after you get the timer in with a quick update.

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
new timer installed took about ten min. works great.goes threw the cycles no problem.only question is-is it normal when filling the drum with water should the water pulse 3-5 seconds on 7-8 seconds off?none of my other washers did it but they were older models.

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »
update went threw filling cycle no problem seems to take a long time getting past the rinse to the spin cycle. been 10-15min. water trickling in not filling just trickling. is this normal?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »
Your inlet screens may be clogged. Click on pic to enlarge:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
the inlet has no screens to clog

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
I wonder how the water valve keeps from getting clogged? If you have hard water like we do here in Bama then that valve is half clogged right now.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
out here dont have hard water .what confuses me is the first part of filling the drum water fill great, fast,then stops,then pulses.once past all that works fine,until it gets to the rinse cycle.it hangs out there a long while.(ill time it this time around)if  i move it past rinse to spin it works fine maybe it just me not being used to this washer maybe not 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
Well remember only cold water is dispensed for rinse cycle so it will take longer to fill on rinse and also when the drum is spinning cold water is dispensed to knock down suds that may be on the side of the tub.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
You need to replace the water valve, part # 3979346

Here is how it work. If you click on the part number I listed above you will see a photo of the water valve.

On the end that is black there is a thermistor that helps control the temp of the water coming into the washer.

Even when you have a hot water wash selected the water valve is going to pulse cold water to mix with the hot water. Same on a warm water wash, it just pulses the cold water at a different rate.

The washer only uses cold water during the rinse cycle.

All water inlet valve come from the factory with screens in them as JW's photo shows. If your valve no longer has screens in them at some point in time someone took them out.

The screens stop a lot of crap from getting into the water valve. It does not matter if you have soft water or not.

What I often find when screens are missing is that someone else took them out because they were plugged and instead of cleaning them (they are stainless steel screens) and putting them back in they throw them away.

With out the screens there to stop stuff from getting into the water valve the valves plug up and run slow or stop working all together.

Of coarse water valve can fail for other reasons to.

In either case it sounds like you need to replace the water valve.

Sometimes you can find screens in the other end of the fill hoses too, would not hurt to remove both the hot and cold fill hoses to check for screens there too.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
Or if you have them flood proof hoses then toss em and buy some regular hoses
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
Or if you have them flood proof hoses then toss em and buy some regular hoses

Good point, I have had trouble with some of them hoses too.

Offline ruthlessZ28

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
no flood hoses will check out the water valve and replace if necessary thanks for all the info will post updates when i have them 

kenmore washer wont spin

Started by futch13

Replies: 5
Views: 4275
Last post October 09, 2007, 12:28:49 PM
by rickgburton
Help Tromm washing machine wont spin

Started by angeleyes

Replies: 15
Views: 20845
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:19:59 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 4925
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def
washer wont spin and sometimes shuts off mid cycle

Started by imharley

Replies: 14
Views: 9294
Last post June 12, 2012, 07:56:35 PM
by Bailey
Neptune Washer Does not shut off after cycles completed