Author Topic: GE Washer with various problems  (Read 2764 times)

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
GE Washer with various problems
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Symptoms have been around for awhile, but lately washer went over the edge.  

From time to time over the last several months the washer would be in the middle of a wash cycle and begin to make sounds as if it were struggling to agitate even though the washer was not over-filled with clothes.  I would switch to a different type of cycle, for example heavy cottons to medium cottons, the washer would begin to agitate again and this would take care of the problem.  Although sometimes I would have to switch cycles a few times or maybe let the washer rest awhile before it would work.

More recently new problems have arisen:
-  Washer only runs as if set to gentle cycle no matter where the dial is set - heavy cottons, medium casuals, easy care, etc, it doesn't seem to matter.  It will agitate gently for a little while, then it soaks, and repeats this a few times.

-  After wash cycle is complete and machine drains water, sometimes it won't advance to the spin cycle.  It sounds like it is trying to continue to drain the water even though it is finished, and eventually starts making a burning type of smell.

-  When it does advance to the spin cycle, it does not spin long enough or hard enough to wring the water from the clothes.  The clothes are still heavy with water.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Model WCSE6270B1WW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Washer with various problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
That sounds to me like maybe a clutch is worn out or the belt is slipping, maybe both.
This video from Shawn Ryan shows how to tear apart this beast:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Here is Fearless Leader's GE washer Training Manual
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TZS

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice, the manual, and the video - that's really helpful. 

So I can become more knowledgeable of my washer and understand how it works mechanically, please help me understand why would it be the clutch and a loose belt that are the problem?

Does the clutch allow the washer to switch to each stage of the wash process - for example in my case from the wash and agitation stage to the spin stage?

Does a bad clutch also cause the washer to only operate in gentle cycle where the washer agitates and soaks several times instead of just agitating with no soak as I think it does in a heavy cotton cycle for example?

Does a loose belt explain a spin cycle that doesn't spin as rapidly as it should?
Does a loose belt also explain a spin cycle that doesn't spin long enough?

Thanks a ton for taking the time to help me with my washer problems.  Any education you can provide me is greatly appreciated. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
Their is nothing fancy about your washer except for the electronic control which is easy to replace. It is a basic 120 volt motor. It has to be associated with the motor the clutch the belt OR that fancy control. Since these machines have a history of clutch failure over time I would start there and work my way up. First check the belt for wear. Take the front off and observe the washer while it is doing a load.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Washer Problems

Started by engelman

Replies: 1
Views: 2955
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
by JWWebster
Problems with Washer

Started by skylark157

Replies: 4
Views: 1685
Last post December 23, 2008, 03:00:09 PM