Either a volt meter or a multi meter will check volts. The circuit breaker is located in your home circuit box not the dryer. If the heating element is "sagging" or is broken and touching the side of the housing it would only get warm as it is making a 120 VAC circuit to ground. If it's "sagging" and touching the housing it would still test good on a basic ohm meter. You would have to check it to ground too. A burned dryer cord could give you heating problems also. If you are using the 3 prong dryer cord, where it's connected to the terminal block, the 2 outside terminals should read 220 VAC. Outside terminal to middle terminal should read 120 VAC. If you are using a 4 prong cord red to black is 220 VAC. Red or Black to white is 120 VAC.