Author Topic: Service manual/LP conversion manual for Jenn-Air JDS9860AA*  (Read 8275 times)

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
Hi there - would anyone be able to provide me the service manual for Jenn-Air JDS9860AAP (or JDS9860AA*)?  I am trying to convert from LP to Natural Gas, and the service manual would be helpful.  On this website there is the service manual for JDS9860BD* but the parts and orifices are slightly different for the AAP model.

Supposedly the file used to be here:
http://servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16026780.pdf
But it is no longer available

Thanks in advance!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
Re: Service manual/LP conversion manual for Jenn-Air JDS9860AA*
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
Hi AJ,

Thanks!  I just followed the link and downloaded the file, but it seems to be for JDS9860BD* not JDS9860AA*.  Am I looking at the wrong link?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Same appliance different color.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
Dear jumptrout51 - you have 1400 posts, so you know a lot more than I do, but my AAP model seems different than the BDP model when I look through the service manual.

The BDP model has a small and a larger burner on right, and burner head can be removed.
http://www.ajmadison.com/phpdocs/ajtest/item_image_browser.php?sku=JDS9860BD&AutoNumber=31175

The AAP model has equal sized burners, and I can't figure out how to remove burner head!  They seem sealed.
http://www.ajmadison.com/phpdocs/ajtest/item_image_browser.php?sku=JDS9860AAP&AutoNumber=25164

Also, the PDF names are different -- the one for BDP is 16026929.pdf but based on internet searches it sounds like the AAP one is 16026780.pdf

Regardless, my main problem is: I am trying to convert back to natural gas from propane but can't find the right orifice part number.  Jennair told me to buy these orifices:
http://www.partselect.com/PS2086893-Whirlpool-74009472-ORIFICE.htm?SourceCode=5&ModelNum=jds9860
But they are male whereas the LP conversion orifices are female!
http://www.partselect.com/PS2083799-Whirlpool-74006097-LP-CONVERS.htm?SourceCode=5&ModelNum=jds9860

I'm not sure how to obtain the natural gas equivalent of the LP female orifices!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
I will just toss this video in fer fun whilst yall try ta figure it out:

Now let me get ya straight:
Their are the crank down and flip version. and the fix orifice. That means yall don't need buy any parts. Just crank down the orificce and as the nipple comes up it closes off the flow making the higher pressure gas behave as adjusted. The other type screw in orifices are preset and to use them puppys yall close the hole 10 orifice drill bit sizes smaller. That means yall use the quarter inch plug after drilling the orifice out quarter inch and thn yall re-drill 10 orifice bit sizes smaller. Confused yet? :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:01:44 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
Yeah I'm confused  :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
They is 2 kinds of orifices: Fixed and adjustable. The adjustable ones you simply crank down to desired flame height. The Fixed orifices are preset per production run. They can be redrilled to work with differing gases. By simply goin up 10 sizes for natural and down 10 sizes for LP. Still confused?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »
I think I understand now.  I believe these are fixed orifices, so I guess I need to redrill the LP orifices by 10 sizes to enlarge them for natural gas.  On the side of the current orifice it says 90 0330, which I guess means 0.033mm?

According to the 9860BDP manual, which has some similarities to the AAP part, the orifice drill size probably needs to be increased in size to 1.07mm.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
I think I understand now.  I believe these are fixed orifices, so I guess I need to redrill the LP orifices by 10 sizes to enlarge them for natural gas.

No, I don't think you do understand.

Fixed orifices can be removed and replaced with the correct ones.

I have never had to drill out a orifice. Have you looked at the back of the stove to make sure when they converted it to LP they did not put the old orifices in back. That's what I always do with the old one. Makes it easy on me when I have to change it back. :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
You want bigger holes for natural gas and smaller holes fer LP. It ain't rocket science.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
Since it sounds like this is a extremely easy question for you guys, could you let me know what part number I need to order to get the correct, female orifices for natural gas for JDS98600AA*?

Thanks in advance

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:56 AM »
But they are male whereas the LP conversion orifices are female!
http://www.partselect.com/PS2083799-Whirlpool-74006097-LP-CONVERS.htm?SourceCode=5&ModelNum=jds9860

Have you looked to see what you have in there now.

I took a quick look at the diagram for JDS9860AAP and if you have what you are calling female orifices you linked to that I quoted above then I believe you have the adjustable orifices.

That means you can turn them out a couple turns to adjust them back to natural gas.
There is also a cap on the regulator that will need to be flipped over to convert the regulator back to natural gas too.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have the adjustable orifices like I think then there is not going to be a part number for any type of orifice kit, LP or natural for this model range.

Offline gleek

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
Dear Whirlpool tech,

Yes, I have looked at what is in there now, and they are the LP conversion female orifices shown at the following link:

The way these parts screw onto the range, it doesn't seem like they are ajdustable.  Another reason I have been guessing they are not adjustable, is because the similar 9860BDP model also indicates that different orifices are needed.  However, it is worth a try adjusting them like you said.

Another idea is that maybe I just remove these orifices entirely to convert back to natural gas!  There might be another limiting orifice within the range, which might be the male one that I linked to in an earlier message.  This does not agree with the 9860BDP model service manual, but maybe this is different.

Does anyone have access to the password protected servicematters site, to download the 9860AAP service manual or LP conversion guide?  This would probably answer all of our questions, including whether they are adjustable or not, and if not, what part number the NG orifices are.

Offline rickgburton

• Technician
  • Ricks Appliance Repair - 30 Years Experience
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
The orifices are not adjustable. If you have a regulator on the range, unscrew the top port where you see "N" turn it upside down so you see "LP". Most of the time that will take care of the surface burners without replacing the orifices.
OWNER/SERV TECH: RICK'S APPLIANCE REPAIR
APPLIANCE SERVICE TECHNICIAN FOR 25 YEARS
ONLINE SERV TECH: ApplianceBlog.com ApplianceJunk.com
CERTIFIED TYPE 1; TYPE 2.....REFRIGERATION SERV

16022514 Maytag Jenn-Air Gas Wall Oven Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3087
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:23:53 PM
by AJ
16023417 Maytag Jenn Air Freestanding Double Oven Duel Fuel Range Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 2248
Last post April 20, 2012, 08:26:53 PM
by AJ
Gas Cooktop LP Conversion Kit (318064822) Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 813
Last post August 20, 2009, 06:39:15 PM
by AJ
Jenn Air service manual