Author Topic: Kenmore Dryer Shaking terribly  (Read 3527 times)

Offline anna94306

• VIP Member
Kenmore Dryer Shaking terribly
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
I have a 9 year old Sears/Kenmore (Frigidaire) Gas Dryer, 417.92042101.

When I start it (after one second), sometimes it starts Shaking terribly.  Of course, the Shaking is noisy and I turn it off immediately.  Then if I turn it back on later, it will work- NO SHAKING.  It has a load of laundry to dry.  It is located on a Garage Cement Floor and I have checked the Level.  Okay.  It's been there for 9 years without Delirium Tremens.  

Full disclosure:  I just repaired the Plastic Glides on the Drum.  They were sticking out into the Tub, catching some pieces of clothing.  I took the Dryer apart, but did not fully remove the Drum.  The Glides have "tines" but did not perfectly fit the holes through the Drum.  I shaved off some of the Tines to fit the holes perfectly and used high temp Super Glue to secure the Glides back to the Drum.  The Felt (somewhat worn after 9 years) appeared to be Okay.  Dryer worked well for a short time (no shaking or odd noices) after this repair.
Then the high frequency "Shakes" started happening intermittently.  
Bearing Problem?  
Do I need to replace the whole Bearing Assembly?
Lubrication?   I can see the metal Ball on the Back of the Dryer. I can see some thick grease around it.  Spout Out Oil?  Lithium Grease?  
Thanks for any suggestions.  Anna

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Dryer Shaking terribly
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
The glide kit needs to be replaced.
Replace only the felt on top, leave the bottom felt be.
The bearing grease is white lithium.

Click on pics to enlarge:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:07:46 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Replace the rear drum support.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline anna94306

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
May 31, 2011  Postscript-
The Frigidaire (Kenmore) Dryer has been repaired. 
It took a new Bearing Kit to solve the Problem.
SHAKING is GONE after drying 6 loads of Laundry.

It does take time and care to do this repair.
It was difficult  to get the new screws through the new Rear Bearing Shaft & Ball Assembly.  Best to "cut those threads" through before you mount the Bearing Shaft to the Drum. 

I also replaced the Felt Pad (upper one only) on the Door Cabinet.  Be careful that you get the right Felt Pad for your Model.  I ordered a Felt Pad that was TOO thick with Teflon Guides.  It did not fit this model. My  Felt pads are thin with no Teflon Guides.  I improvised.
I had ordered the lower Felt Pad (white) as well.  I cut it to size to replace the upper Felt Pad.  Glued it on.  It worked.  I am a happy.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

To late now, but i wonder if these videos would have been any help?

Thanks for the update.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »
Did I get this ... So you used the lower felt in place of a upper felt you just cut it to fit?
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline HardyW

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
Was the felt pad worn out or did you already order the parts and just thought that you might as well do it? I just replaced the rear bearing on an old Kenmore dryer too because of excessive shaking and squealing. The bearing was completely shot and the new bearing did cure the squeals and shaking.

Offline anna94306

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
Hi Hardy:

Two Responders to my Problem suggested:
1. Change Upper Felt Seal, only
or
2. Change the Bearings

So I ordered those parts. BE CAREFUL.  Get the right parts for your Model. The Upper Felt Seal was a bit worn, but still Okay.  It is easier to get to and replace than the Bearings.  So I removed the Upper Seal from the Door Panel.  Then I realized the Upper Felt Replacement Part was WRONG for my Dryer. (not the same as in the Video at all).   Bummer.  I was stuck. I had removed the Upper Felt Seal and did not have the correct Replacement Part for my Model.   

The lower Felt Seal  (white) was in better shape than the Gray Upper Felt Seal.  And I had the right part for the lower Felt Seal.
It did not need immediate replacement.  So I cut it to size and used to glue down a new Upper Felt Seal.  Put it back together and  the Dryer worked for a short time without the Shakes.  Then the Shakes came back.   I replaced the Bearings.  BINGO.  No more Shakes since then. 

I think it is possible to use the lower, white, Felt Seal (cut to size) in lieu of the Upper Gray Felt Seal around the Door Panel.  It is thinner and less dense than the Gray Felt.  BUT, it will probablu wear out sooner.  At the time, I was desperate to fix it.  Laundry was piling up.  Now (at my leisure)  I can replace the Gray Felt Seal (if needed) with the correct part for my Model.

Kenmore Dryer

Started by jdman

Replies: 6
Views: 4902
Last post August 12, 2007, 07:30:06 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1
Views: 3329
Last post August 07, 2007, 08:21:33 AM
by AJ