Author Topic: Ice Maker Works but Harvest Arm Down and Frozen in the Cubes  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
Okay, maybe and hopefully I'll get a reply.  Found the ice maker not making ice. Opened up freezer/icemaker and saw 4-5 cubes stuck/melted onto the top of the ice maker.  Removed them successfully with plastic spatula.  However, the ice maker tray was full up to top of ice maker tray and frozen solid.  Raised arm to ice maker to turn it off.  Removed ice maker from freezer and unthawed the solidified ice.  Reinstalled ice maker.  It filled with water (yea!)  Sometime in the next few hours or minutes the harvest arm that comes down to push the ice cubes out went to work and I found the ice maker with ice cubes made, but the harvest teeth stuck/frozed in the cubes.  Have removed ice maker again from freezer and have now removed the solidified ice yet again.  The harvest teeth are in the down position in the middle of the half moon cube trays and I know these shouldn't be in this position.  How do I remedy this problem? 

Model ED25RQXFW00

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Ice Maker Works but Harvest Arm Down and Frozen in the Cubes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
You are out of time on the cycle.
Replace the ice maker, part # 4317943
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:31 PM »
Is there not a way to get it back "in time"? I would think there would be a way to adjust the turn dial.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
jumptrout is correct. Time to replace the ice maker, part # 4317943

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
A lot of times when I take them apart the gear is broken inside. You can get a new head for the ice maker, but a lot of times after you do that the heater, thermostat or the coating on the ice cube tray starts to flake. As a service technician I have found it best in the long run to replace the ice maker and be done with it.

Customer is happy and I don't have call backs later on.

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
Granted the ref/freezer was made in 06/97; however, the ice maker is only 3 years old as I replaced it back in 2008.  It's virtually new!  Apparently, somewhere between the cubes being melted and stuck on top, and the removal and refit back in, it got out of time.  The heater works, the thermostat works, the inlet valve works, everything is just peachy but the timing of the ejector teeth. Seriously guys, no other solutions?

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
Did you take the cover off the head of the ice maker to see if the gear is broken or cracked?

3 years is not a long time, but they sure don't make things last like they use to either.

If you can replace it yourself try to think of it this way. The ice maker is about $100, if it last three years that's only about $33.33 a year to make all the ice you ever need and you have the convenance of only have to go to your kitchen for it.

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »
Okay, so, I took the pretty black cover off, removed the three screws holding the component together, manuevered the little white clippy thing and got it apart.  All the gears looked like new or at least the two "white colored gear components" that sync with each other.  Reset to "zero position" so that ejector teeth were level and put the unit back together. Then I reinstalled the icemaker, turned on the ref/freezer and it immediately filled w/ water and the teeth arm thingey moved from being level on the left side to being over to the right (as if ready for when it is told to push the cubes out).  So,
I'll update you by 1 am and see if I have an ce dump.  If I do, then it's fixed, if I don't, then I'm back to square one.

Wish me/it luck!

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »
Good luck, even if it does work don't you have to wonder why it ever got out of sync to start with?

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
Sure I will wonder, but at least I gave it a "Harvard" try.  ;)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
Please let us know, good luck...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
Post some pics
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »
WE HAVE AN ICE DUMP!

It's 1:30am and I checked the unit and I've had an ice dump!  Now, I will recheck mid-morning and see if I've had more.

I don't have ability to post pics as requested.  Thank you all for the input and I hope it keeps working! :banana:

Offline Lisa Cahob

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:02 AM »
Just to clarify the previous post about taking the ice maker motor housing apart. (And not turning the dial with your hand as it clearly states on the front of the dial....you want to disassemble first)

Lift arm to ice maker unit to turn it off.  Then I actually turned off the refrigerator and then unplugged it.   Probably a good idea since you have to disconnect the wire harness to the ice maker.

Unscrewed, but did not entirely remove the two screws on the upper portion (on side wall of freezer unit) just enough so you can slip the unit out.

Completely remove the bottom screw that fits on the bottom side of the ice maker.  Once this screw is out, lift the icemaker up and out and disconnect the wire harness to remove the unit entirely.

Remove the decorative cover; comes off easily by hand.

Remove the three screws on the front panel of the motor housing by using phillips screw driver.

Using a very small flat head screw driver, carefully push-in on one side and manuever the white plastic fitting (top right corner of plate) back down into it's opening in order to lift off/remove the front plate.

Once front plate was off I then took a miniature phillips screw driver and removed the two screws holding the small chrome housing (motor w/ two orange wires) off.  This little gadget has a small round white gear shaft attached to it which is in sync with larger wheel that states do not turn by hand.

Once this chrome timer/motor thingey part was off (did not remove it entirely--left the wires attached), I manually and carefully turned the small end of the larger wheel (sorry don't know the name of this part) and I reset it so the lever on the reverse side of the panel was just about to snap to its' place against the small white hook looking thing.  Since I'm the novice, the only other way for me to explain it is that the end of the piece that the ejector arm fits into (which is half moon shaped on one end) this was set so the full part of the moon was facing left and the flat side facing right and this put the ejector arms/teeth at what was previously called level--but the ejector teeth were actually at about the 2 o'clock position and not the 3 o'clock position.

Once I had it set so the half moon was set in this position, I then put the chrome housing piece back in it's place being very careful to fit it and it's attached white gear piece in sync with the larger gear teeth on the larger wheel.

Reinstall the two small screws using the miniature screw driver.

Fit the panel back in place making sure the small white "holder" piece fits back in its' little hole and then reattach by reinstalling the three phillips head screws.  Be careful here because you are putting the plate with the moon shaped end back on and you need to make sure the ejector arm is fit back in this half moon slot which you've repositioned (as previously stated).

Put the decorative cover back on.

Since you haven't put the unit back in the freezer yet, check your cube tray for dirt or calcium build up.  If you have calcium build up I have used (in the past, but not on this unit) a highly acidic toilet bowl cleaner in the tray w/ a toothbrush and it eats the calcium deposits.  Rinse the cube tray very well and don't get the wire harness wet (tricky, but can be done).

If your paint is chipped in the cube tray then don't even try to remove the calcium because it's time for a new cube tray.

Reinstall the unit in the freezer. Attaching harness first and then fitting ice maker unit back in place.  Tighten side screws back and then reinstall the bottom screw to the bottom of ice maker.

Leave arm up on ice maker unit.

Plug in refrigerator unit. 

Turn refrigerator control back to "ON" position and set to normal settings.

Put arm down on ice maker unit.

My unit immediately filled with water before I even put the arm down, water then froze and then dumped ice like normal.  Maybe I got lucky?!! 

I also didn't open the freezer for nearly 1 hour to make sure the teeth were still in 2 o'clock position and then at the 2 hour mark I checked to see if it had dumped and right at that point it started to cycle and push the cubes out.  I watched it and marveled and did a happy dance...oh, yea!

Hope this helps someone else.  I may be listed as an apprentice DIYer, but after 30 yrs of being little Miss Maintenance on my own rental properties, it sure feels good to save some money at my own home and, of course, anytime!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 06:31:37 AM »
Glad to hear that it worked for you and thanks for posting back with such details.

Hope this helps someone else.....  it sure feels good to save some money at my own home....

That's what this site is all about, people helping people and saving money by doing it yourself. 

Thanks for the update.  O0

Ice cube maker only making 1/2 size cubes

Started by Iceman 71

Replies: 5
Views: 2506
Last post December 01, 2008, 09:51:19 AM
by Iceman 71
frozen ice maker inlet

Started by mlc

Replies: 4
Views: 1582
Last post February 24, 2010, 01:34:05 PM