Author Topic: Maytag freezer problems  (Read 1857 times)

Offline mtaill

• VIP Member
Maytag freezer problems
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
Hi,

New here and really need the help.
I have a Maytag fridge that is not even 2 years old, the freezer is at the bottom.  It always has frost and I noticed last night that lots of ice is buid up in the hole of the back panel of the freezer.

When this happens, the top of the fridge becomes warm.

What could I do to repair this?  Just empty the whole thing and leave it unplugged for 1 day to let is de-ice?!?!

Help please!

Model MBR1956KES

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag freezer problems
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:50 PM »
Well you could do like grandma had to and that is unplug the ice box for a fer hours every thursday. Or you could remove the rear panel and hunt down the heater and heater thermostat. The heater thermostat kills the power to the heater after a few minute OR when the evap area gets to 50f (enough to kill frost but not disturb the food in the freezer). The ice box sits dead in the water for 21 minutes. So we need a heater thermostat to kill power to the heater. That is the most likely part to fail. The next likely part is the heater. The only other component in your case is the automatic defrost control.
This video that Jimbo provided shows how to use your controls to do diagnostics and how to check the wires with a meter: Maytag mid-level ice box programming guide
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:25:48 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mtaill

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag freezer problems
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »
Well you could do like grandma had to and that is unplug the ice box for a fer hours every thursday. Or you could remove the rear panel and hunt down the heater and heater thermostat. The heater thermostat kills the power to the heater after a few minute OR when the evap area gets to 50f (enough to kill frost but not disturb the food in the freezer). The ice box sits dead in the water for 21 minutes. So we need a heater thermostat to kill power to the heater. That is the most likely part to fail. The next likely part is the heater. The only other component in your case is the automatic defrost control.
This video that Jimbo provided shows how to use your controls to do diagnostics and how to check the wires with a meter: Maytag mid-level ice box programming guide

Thanks for the video.
I will try the Forced defrost tonight.

Maytag Refrigerator/Freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 9
Views: 5081
Last post November 13, 2008, 04:18:04 AM
by Repair-man
Sears Kenmore Freezer problems

Started by dlrice0412

Replies: 8
Views: 5793