Author Topic: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Leaking Door  (Read 8658 times)

Offline DIY55

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dishwasher - Leaking Door
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
I replaced the door gasket and door seal of my Whirlpool Dishwasher in order to attempt to solve a leaking door problem but the door still leaks. Water is leaking along the entire height of the door as if the door gasket has no effect and water is even leaking out of the plastic caps on either side of the door frame.

The latch is working fine but there is no adjustment to tighten the latch, although I'd like to since the door has some "give". But even as I push the door tighter against the seal during a test cycle the door still leaks.  I cleaned all of the surfaces and removed all dried up soap that could prevent a tight seal from occurring but nothing I seem to do is having any effect on the problem.

I even removed the door and inspected the enclosure and all door contact points and saw nothing that could be preventing the door from closing any tighter. But I am convinced the gasket is at fault or the door is not closing tight enough. Please advise.

All advice is welcome.

Model KUDR24SE

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Leaking Door
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
I have seen the door hinges on either side get bent.  Open the door and stand back and look at it, if the machine is installed level, the door should be level when open.  if it slants down towards the floor, your hinges could be bent. 

If they are bent, when you close the door, the door will not be in the correct position to make a tight seal.

Door hinges can bend a couple different ways, If a door spring fails, and the door flops down really hard, or from some source of weight on the door, like a child leaning on it.  Also if you have custom wood panels for the front, the added weight overtime could possibly damage the door hinges.  Check it out  O0
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline appdoc

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
check ur spray arms to make sure no holes are plugged up & they are spinning freely. the gasket seals against a spray shot towards the door but a steady stream of water shot towards the corners can sometimes work its way thru causing a leak.

Offline DIY55

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »
I thought it was due to a direct spray shot as well because the upper spray arm's manifold had broken and was not feeding the spray arm - so water WAS being shot out directly from the vertical water supply against the door. But even after replacing the upper spray unit and manifold the problem still exists.

The door is also sitting perfectly - no bends in the hinges.

I'm almost inclined to purchase a new unit being that there will be Memorial Day Sales this weekend. But I really can't afford it and would like to fix the problem. The leak happened so suddenly that I'm thinking that there was some other sort of failure somewhere. But nothing is obvious.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
Are your arms turning ?

Offline DIY55

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
Yes, all the spray arms are rotating freely.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
Is it overfilling?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
Lower wash arm bearing worn out? Remove lower wash arm and check the bearing. I have changed several as worn and will cause the water to push over the edge of the tub. When pressure is applied the water will spray down causing a wave to flow right over the front of the tub.

Offline sc

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:07:41 PM »
check air vent in door or back left of tub where water comes in. air flap can get stuck closed causing air pressure to build in tub during fill when motor starts air will push water out door.

Offline sc

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »
also check mounting screws holding dishwasher to counter thay can come loose and door can be held open by screw on one side.

Offline jigchris

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.  Had the same problem on my whirlpool dishwasher (about 4 years old) replaced door gasket and it still leaked from the bottom of the door.  What finally fixed it was cleaning out all of the gunk and crap that was clogging all of the water discharge holes on all 3 arms.  This allowed pressure to flow evenly, and now door does not leak.  Whew!

Offline yogifredbrown

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
There is a vent panel, unlabeled, at top of inside of dishwasher door.
Pry this off and you will probably find plugged with crud.
Clean, replace panel and you are good to go!

Usually takes years for this to cause leak from door.
Clearly, a "self-destruct" feature.
A clever design feature that must have won a prize for the engineer who figured it out.
Else, why not a label on the panel:"Remove Panel and Clean Regularly" and a tab on the panel for easy opening?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
Clearly, a "self-destruct" feature.
A clever design feature that must have won a prize for the engineer who figured it out.
Else, why not a label on the panel:"Remove Panel and Clean Regularly" and a tab on the panel for easy opening?

Could be, but I doubt it.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Whirlpool Dishwasher Leaking from Gap at Door/Tub Connection

Started by timogsu

Replies: 7
Views: 1404
Last post August 06, 2013, 11:39:40 AM
by timogsu
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 12872
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7467
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ
Frigidaire Dishwasher Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 8
Views: 30332
Last post December 14, 2011, 04:09:22 PM
by whirlpooltech
Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy