Author Topic: Maytag washer, clothes are too wet after spinning.  (Read 10675 times)

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
Maytag washer, clothes are too wet after spinning.
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
Hello all,
I have a maytag washer that is acting up.  The clothing is too wet to put in the dryer after the spin cycle.  If I rerun the spin cycle several times I can sometimes get them dry enough to deal with.  It appears to be spinning OK when I open the door during the spin cycle.  The machine is only about 4 years old.  Thank you for any help and advice!  :)

Model mtw5700tq0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag washer, clothes are too wet after spinning.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
You might have a broken drive coupler. Couplers break from washing heavy objects like blankets, rugs, and comforters. Or a heavy load on a low water level. Here is your repair video:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
How can I tell if this coupler is bad?  Can I tell when I get a look at it?  Where is a good source for buying the coupler for this machine?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »
Click on pictures:

Get your discount parts at our suppliers Red and Roman on the links to the left
Appliance parts pros and repair clinic
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:17 PM »
More:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
Where is a good source for buying the coupler for this machine?

By clicking this link (Motor Coupling) and purchasing your part from our affiliate AppliancePartsPros.com you help support the forum here at ApplianceJunk.com :)

Offline appdoc

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
Put the machine in spin turn it on & see if u hear it spinning. If so coupling probably ok. On heavy loads clutch may be slipping.

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
She seems to spin ok.  On regular cycle it took about 90 seconds to pump out water, then it spun ok. 

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »
90 seconds is perfect for drain time on a top load washer.  I would assume that you do not have any restrictions in your pump or drain line.   If you clothes are coming out soaking wet sometimes, I would not think its the coupler, but I would look at the clutch assy.  What happens is when the machine goes to spin, the centrifugal force pushes the inner assy of the clutch outwards against its housing.  What happens over time is the pads of the clutch assy don't hold as well as they use to and it slips, allowing the tub not to spin as fast.

In order to get to the clutch, you must remove the pump, motor, and drop the transmission.  On the top of the transmission sits the clutch assy.  Its pretty easy to get to, not like a transmission in a car! 

You can either replace the clutch, or sometimes with a dremel tool with a grinder bit, you can rough up the surface of the clutch housing where the pads meet, creating more surface for the pads to hold against.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
How can I tell if the clutch is bad when I get a look at it?  Is this an expensive part?
Thanks!
Darren

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
I looked up the cost of parts for your washer by entering the model number in the 'Diagrams & Parts' search box on the left side of our website.

Here is a link to the Clutch for your washer.

Here is a Video that will show you how to replace the clutch.

As for how to tell if it's bad I often remove the cabinet, jump out the lid switch. Then I put the washer into the spin cycle and watch the clutch to see how it looks when it's spinning. Sometimes you can also see that the clutch has been getting greasing and slipping or just plain wore out.

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
I have opened her up and there is a quarter inch of water in the bottom of the tub.  Does this tell me anything about my problems?

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
Help please! I took things apart. Removed the pump checked for ubstructions. Took off motor. Couplings looked good but I replaced with new parts anyway. Put back together. She is agitating but not spinning. The motor runs during spin but the basket does not move. What should I try next? I have a new clutch, and will probably try that next. When I took apart I broke the door switch. I have rigged the switch to stay depressed. I don't know if that's part of my problem.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »
Tilt the washer back, put it into spin and look at the clutch. Does it spin? If it does your transmission is okay.  If not, it's a transmission problem, probably the neutral kit 388253. If the clutch is spinning, set the washer back down on its feet.  While in spin, manually give the basket a spin counter-clockwise.  If it is very hard to spin by hand, you have something stuck between the basket and tub.  If it is very easy to spin by hand, the clutch is bad.

Offline dbuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
I tried to take out the agitator to get to the clutch etc.  I removed the dust cap, bolt, agitator.  I removed a plastic part and a piece of metal.  I am stuck do I need a special tool to break it down further?  I don't think the shaft will slip out at this point.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/guttenta1/

Thanks!
Darren

Maytag Washer Damaging Clothes

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2808
Last post November 07, 2008, 06:51:27 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Washer only drains when spinning, not before

Started by tigggerz

Replies: 1