Author Topic: Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash  (Read 5880 times)

Offline billy_pilgrim

• VIP Member
Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
Hi, all,

This place has been so great in helping me fix both my washer, dryer, and hot water heater ... now I'm hoping you all might be able to help with my wonky dishwasher. The unit is about three years old, and last year it used to start up without us hitting the start button. We thought it might be our cats jumping up and down from the counter, but it has happened without them being in the room. That stopped about a year ago, but now the dishwasher will fill when the cycle is selected and start is pushed. The unit fills (about an inch or two of water below the heating coil), then sits and does nothing. It will drain if you hit the start/cancel button, though.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I should also mention that underneath the screen (below the arm and filter), there always seems to be some water. Is that normal, or is something clogged?

Thanks so much!

Model FDB1502RGC0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »
Most dishwashers have a timed sequence for the water to be added. That is why a generic water valve won't work for a dishwasher. If too much water is added a float is built in to stop the overflow but it does not determine water depth. I would suspect your water valve is faulty. If that turned out to be fine then the control itself has gone bad. Some water is needed in the pump at all times to prevent the seal from drying out. I hate dishwashers.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline billy_pilgrim

• VIP Member
Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
So, does that mean the water level when it fills (the one to two inches) is not the correct amount? I've had very good success changing out valves on my washing machine. Is there a guide you could suggest I follow for this dishwasher?

For what it's worth, I hate them, too. Though we just had a baby and it is great for sanitizing things quickly.

Cheers!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
I have seen 6 motors that were that age bad. If it is the black motor they have brushes in the motors. If you take the bottom plate off and where the wires plug into the motor ( on the left side) there is a connector.When the timer is done filling wait 15seconds and take a yard stick and push up and down on the connector. If it runs when up or down,needs motor. You can check voltage to the connector if all else fails.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
I am going to agree with checking the motor... These motors are very unreliable, and I change them all the time.  You should read 120volts at the 2 pin connector going to the motor after the machine fills.  It could be other things, so don't just assume its the motor.  But it sure is the first place I would check.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Kenmore QuietGuard Standard Fills/Drains but Doesn't Wash

Started by brandon78311

Replies: 3
Views: 1110
Last post January 24, 2014, 09:29:10 AM
by brandon78311
Bosch Dishwasher Fills then Drains Repeatedly

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 9735
Last post October 05, 2008, 01:57:35 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Dishwasher fills and drains just as fast.

Started by christopher_2

Replies: 2
Views: 1974
Last post February 08, 2011, 05:40:52 AM
by christopher_2
GE Dishwasher: fills up with water but drains before running water cycle

Started by StanleyS

Views: 1754
Last post September 10, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
by buyangyan1
Kenmore Dishwasher - Doesn't always drain.

Started by yeltu1188

Replies: 1
Views: 4513
Last post September 15, 2007, 10:36:53 AM
by Pegi
GE Dishwasher Will not pump on wash cycle

Started by bp0611

Replies: 1
Views: 3989
Last post February 25, 2008, 07:38:59 AM
by apptech