Author Topic: won't spin fast enough to remove water  (Read 2950 times)

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
won't spin fast enough to remove water
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
Hello Wizards!
Visiting my mother.  Her Kenmore Laundrycenter Stackable W/D is working poorly.
At the end of the cycle the clothes are still wet enough to wring water out of.
I took the front off and checked the belt, took it off and it's fine. the idler pulley seemed fine.  First I thought it wasn't applying enough tension, but even when I helped it while running in spin cycle, it didn't increase the rotation of the tub. I also observed that when it is in spin, the agitator turns with the rotation of the drum and then reverses, actually it would reverse if it weren't in spin, but in spin it rotates with the agitator and then stops briefly and then rotates with the tub again. This doesn't seem right. In spin it should be freewheeling and rotating with the tub, no? Seems like this or something else is preventing the tub from getting up to speed, or enough speed to get the water out

Could the transmission assembly not be transmitting drive to the tub? What would cause it not to drive at full speed?

thanks folks!

Model 417.99160810

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: won't spin fast enough to remove water
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14:47 AM »
Check the drain pump for a blockage.
DO NOT overload this style of machine.
Replace the belt anyway.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Bad transmission.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
A couple of things to report
I checked the drain pump, and hose from the tub - all clear.
When I was running this and it wouldn't spin fast enough, it did not have much of a load - 4 pairs of socks, three T shirts and three pairs of underwear and a couple of small towels. When I asked my mom about how wet clothes were at the end of a cycle, she said that with more clothes, they were drier! So I ran a load with 4 large towels and she was right!! It's almost like more mass to spin enables it to spin faster, if that makes any sense.  So the machine CAN run at speed enough to spin clothes dry enough. So what would keep it from spinning with a small load?

Next item.  Up top, in the dryer dept. one of the 4 drum rollers, in the back on the side away from the motor had a lot of slop/wear which is the cause of a lot of noise when drying. The inside of the plastic hub is hogged out. I moved the wheels around from side to side and front to back and lubed them. Much quieter, but I'm lookiing at getting a couple of wheels (ROLLER - 5308004077). The serpentine belt is cracked but not frayed and I didn't have a replacement so I put it back.  The idler/tensioning pulley (WHEEL -5303161103) is worn and  $25!!. SO, the question is, does anybody know of a cheaper source for that idler roller, or a good used one? 

and..

When replacing the dryer drum belt, (I haven't been able to find a manual online - anybody got a link?), do you remove the motor and wiring to R&R the belt, or do you remove the fan housing and fan to R&R the belt? Helpful hints and "must to avoid" welcome.

thanks guys

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »
$6

The innards are all the same on any style

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:23:44 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
re: the dryer
Uh, this is not the configuration of my machine (in the video)  Our machine does have the motor in the rear of the cabinet, but the shaft has the drive gear for the belt and then some sort of interlock to the blower. To remove & replace the belt, it appears that you have to remove the motor and wiring (to slip the belt over) or working from the front remove the blower housing and blade. The belt runs on a gear btw the blower and the motor. Is that clearer? If the belt driving the drum is btw motor and the blower how do you R&R the belt?

thanks

re: washer
No ideas on the washer spin speed problem with different load size?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
To change your dryer belt remove the front dryer panel and change the belt. You do not do anything with the motor or blower.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
Start by removing the top. Then the controls and then the front. This is a plain Jane Westinghouse stack washer dryer. Nothing special about it. The idler and pulley is the exact same as the video.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
More repair photos:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
Can you post some photos of your machine?
FYI: that manilla envelope inside the splash plate
there is the tech sheet and wiring info. Click on pics to enlarge.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:20:05 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Its not Westinghouse derived - it's Frigidaire. model 41799160810

Here's the link to the unit:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Washer-dryer-combo-Parts/Model-41799160810/0582/0152000/00058375/00004?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

I just looked at your followup post with pictures.  Layout similar, but doesn't show the drum. I've taken it apart and worked on the rollers and put it back together. The drive belt is driven by a serpentine pulley on the shaft between the motor and the blower. How do you get the belt on/over the shaft that is connected to the blower and the motor?

I'll take some pix of the outside.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
I must be missing something. I'll try and pull the top and sloped front panel off again and have a look. Taking the front off is a pain.  4 screws under the gasket; 2 from the inside of the drum through the front; the huge molded piece has two busted fastening points, etc.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
My grandson Chris took the photos after school by that time I had the drum out but it basically looks like this first picture below.
Note: that drum is heavy as heck. I went ahead and removed the 3 screws that hold the center bearing on there and that made it way easier to get the drum out. Usually you just snatch up on the drum and bring it out. But my days of snatching on anythang are gone bye bye. Be sure to take a look at the glides. The second picture there shows them glides are missing. Noting but felt left. Put heavy clothes in there without them glides and add to that a tired old belt and BOOM yall got a broken belt. The rear center bearing also will wear till that ball gets chopped off. Metal to metal till is gets sliced off and the drum drops into the heating element which blows the fuse. When the glides go they make the drum pinch and that is what breaks the tired old belt.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:43:06 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
different animal. My drum is just a cylinder (no back). felt gaskets on front and back of the cylinder. Different model

It's a Kenmore, but made by frigidaire.

See the previous post with link to the Sears exploded views.

thanks for all your time and effort

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
You are right they changed it a bit. Haven't seen this one yet. Looks kinda like a 4 wheel drive style model. You still gotta get the front off there to change the belt I bet.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

whirlpool ultimate care II leaking water from bottom front and wont spin

Started by vasdoc

Replies: 6
Views: 6150
Last post October 12, 2008, 09:20:49 PM
by JWWebster
Washer makes fast tapping noise at start of spin cycle

Started by Rubik

Replies: 9
Views: 4169
Last post May 04, 2009, 09:03:24 PM
by JWWebster
maytag washer spills water on spin

Started by nvrenuf99

Replies: 4
Views: 2193
Last post July 17, 2009, 06:23:47 PM
by JWWebster
Spin cycle noisy and some water left in drum

Started by roblenski

Replies: 13
Views: 3361
Last post September 26, 2009, 10:23:42 AM
by roblenski
kenmore clothes washer won't fill with cold water or spin

Started by freedive57

Replies: 11
Views: 5103
Last post October 22, 2009, 12:05:32 AM
by freedive57
Kenmore 70 Series Washer - no cold water, weak spin cycle?

Started by Q451990

Replies: 10
Views: 4013
Last post January 28, 2010, 08:31:18 PM
by viking351