Author Topic: Kenmore side by side  (Read 1118 times)

Offline brad

• VIP Member
Kenmore side by side
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:17 PM »
I have this Kenmore refrigerator model 253.57672790 that I'm having some problems with.It is about 10-12 years old.I need the service manual for this thing,I know that it was made by Frigidaire but don't know which manual goes to this refrigerator.Can you help?

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore side by side
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
So you can share what the problem is?
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
This LIST shows the parts of your ice box. It has a manual defrost timer that shuts down every 10 hours for 21 minutes. When it jumps to defrost a heater is turned on and a terminator thermostat shuts down the heater and the ice box sits idle for 20 minutes. At which time the compressor and fans are all kicked back in until the ice box thermostat says its all nice in there. if ya see frost buildup on the back side of the freezer then yall might have a defrost circuit problem or a bad fan.
So what that puppy doing?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
Thanks to you guys  for the info and parts list.What is going on with the refrigerator now is that it is not defrosting.I need to know how to check the defrost timer and the heater.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
Find the timer and advance it till it click into defrost. Listen for the usually defrost noises.
If it does nothing then the heater and termination thermostat are suspect. Do a visual of the evaporation area to confirm it then thaw out the ice box gently. Do go in there chipping away at ice or you will knock a hole into a freon line. Use a hair dryer or a garment steamer as some have recommended in the past. Then check for continuity on the heater. To check continuity on the termination thermostat you must have it in a freezer and get it to a blissful 25F before it has continuity. Warmth of your hand can get it to 50f rapidly so when checking that bad boy time is of the essence. Drop it in some ice water when removing it from the freezer to keep it cold while you do the check. Some folks swap both the heater and thermostat depending on how hard it is to get to the heater. Some change out the timer heater and thermostat so they can be done with defrost problems for a while. The bimetal defrost thermostat kills the power to the heater when the crawlspace temp get warm enough to melt frost off the coils where no ice can build up. It is the most likely problem.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »
Thank you for that great info.

Kenmore side by side, water tastes terrible

Started by 2kcloudy

Replies: 4
Views: 2654
Last post July 19, 2008, 04:28:56 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Kenmore side by side-ice door flap?

Started by Jearls2

Replies: 2
Views: 1566
Last post October 08, 2008, 09:26:40 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 106.56539400 Side By Side Not Cooling?

Started by shacky001

Replies: 6
Views: 2843
Last post October 09, 2008, 02:14:49 PM
by JWWebster
106.5666502 Kenmore side-by-side copper corrosion

Started by josraclee

Replies: 1
Views: 1076
Last post November 10, 2008, 06:57:06 PM
by JWWebster
kenmore side by side no ice