Author Topic: Ancient Kenmore washer won't drain or spin  (Read 7194 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Ancient Kenmore washer won't drain or spin
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »
There is a good chance that your old pump will have a part number on it too.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
Yes the pump is the white plastic thing with a pulley wheel on it.
I am thinking a bad pump bushing or something stuck in it based on your description.
The lid switch might also be a factor here. This machine will agitate with a bad lid switch but whill not engage the wigwag with a bad lid switch.
To lay the machine down,disconnect the water hoses,remove any water from the tub,tilt the washer forward and let it down on its' front face.
The parts are more easily accessible from the bottom rear like this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:36:43 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline 123go

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the advice.

I tipped it forward onto a rolled up sleeping bag (in case I dropped it lol... but I didn't). I see the white plastic doodad with 3 hoses going into it, although it doesn't look exactly like JWWebster's picture. I cannot see a part number on the bottom, but there may be one on the top.

I took a photo of the underneath of the machine: http://i56.tinypic.com/jttq3a.jpg

I am not sure how I would get the pump off. It looks like there are 2 bolts holding it onto that other thing but the bolts look kind of round. I have ratchets so I could try. I shone a light onto the pump but did not see anything obviously blocking it or that other plastic cylinder. There still could be.

Wires all appear to be intact. How would I know if the lid switch is bad? The switch does not appear broken and when I press on it I can hear it click. I will say though that I am nearly positive the machine will drain (but not spin) with the lid up.

I appreciate all the help. Do you think I should try and remove the water pump and look inside?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 06:10:24 AM »
The water pump is on the right side in your picture.
A ratchet tool with an extension will remove the bolts.
Also loosen but don't remove the motor mounting bolts to get slack in the belt to remove the pump.
There is a metal arm on top of the pump that rides in a cutout slot on the transmission assembly.
Pay attention to this for re-assembly.
The flat bar on the transmission slides back and forth to open and close the drain pump.
Replace the wigwag while you have the washer down.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline appdoc

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
After digging way back in memory I suspect u might have a bad pump. this machine will not spin until water level is low,, the burning smell could be the belt moving across a stuck pump, the pump could be the old 350367 pump(been 20+ yrs since i changed one). do not leave machine laying down too long oil will come out vent hole on top of transmission. I always leaned machine back against wall got underneath popped hoses off & 2 bolts pulled rite out. reverse to put back in, loosening belt can help like jump said make sure pump arm is in transmission cam bar slot. eyeball before u start then make sure looks same when done.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
That is the 4 hose pump. YOUR PUMP
The lid switch is a simple 2 wire design. A generic SWITCH is on the market which can be used in dryers and washers of that period. It features a common leg on one end and a normally closed and normally open leg on the other end. To check switch operation simply bypass the switch. Some folk don't even bother to buy a new switch. Just keep the lid closed for safety.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline 123go

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
Hi everybody,

Sorry for the late reply but I have a really hard time connecting to this site. I think I found a workaround though :)

It is starting to sound complicated. I'm not afraid of getting out my tools and getting my hands dirty, but do I have to worry about breaking the transmission or causing more damage? In other words, is this a job for a total novice or are we getting into "call a repairman" territory?

I can't see the top of the pump so i really don't know how intricately it's connected to the transmission and how difficult the pump will be to remove and replace.

Does anyone feel it would be worthwhile testing the switch, or are we pretty sure it's the pump? I don't know what is meant by "simply bypass the switch".

I appreciate all the help and advice.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
The switch has a wire on each side. Connect the 2 wires effectively bypassing the switch to see if it pumps and spins. Keep in mind the wires will be live so do not let them short against the frame or bite you. The pump has 2 bolts you remove. Take note of the lever which opens the flap and make sure it is in it's little space where the slide action will open and close the flap. The belt just hooks onto the pulley and you probably do not need to loosen the drive motor just leave that be. The belt is a bear to replace on this washer, but the pump is a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:06:32 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline 123go

• VIP Member
Re: Ancient Kenmore washer won't drain or spin [SOLVED]
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. I tried to get the pump off myself, but due to weak girly fingers I couldn't get the hose clamps off by myself (even with pliers). So, rather than risk wrecking my awesome washing machine, I called in a pro. And yes, you all were correct, it was the water pump. It ended up being seized. The guy had my washing machine up and washing inside of 30 minutes lol. It's happily running a load as I write this!

Thanks to you guys, even though I didn't do it myself, I accomplished my main goal of not being taken (since due to my small, youthful feminine stature, repair guys like to take advantage of the fact that I obviously wouldn't know any better). So when I call a repair shop I always like to have at least an idea of what is going on.

So thanks again :) Much appreciated.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »
Thanks for the update, it's always good to hear back as to how things turned out.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
Glad ye could get er done sweety.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore Washer will not drain or spin, agitates on the agitate lo cylce only

Started by mattz

Replies: 5
Views: 9300
Last post March 11, 2008, 09:21:43 AM
by mattz
Kenmore 80 Washer wont drain before spin

Started by rharveysr

Replies: 7
Views: 5243
Last post February 06, 2009, 03:45:20 PM