Author Topic: Refrigerator not freezing after power outage  (Read 16092 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Refrigerator not freezing after power outage
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
Your compressor is a R134a type. You can buy R134a at the dollar store for about $5.
It's the same stuff that goes in your car. Only about one third of a 12 oz can would get that puppy back up to speed I bet. You would mount a saddle valve on the low side to add the freon. Taking care to add it very slowly. When frost is covering all the coils you are done.
Low side should never go above 5 PSI if you had gauges.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:00:28 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
That 12 oz can is almost $20 in my zipcode.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
Cheap R134A Freon For Your Car 12oz @ Big Lots - $5
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline antman

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
Hmmm. Where is the low side? Where would be the easiest to install a saddle valve? I'd probably go pick up gauges to be safe. Thanks. At least I'll know what PSI is in the system.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »
The smalller steel lines is the high side. The larger copper line is the suction side. That is the side yall would want to attach the saddle valve.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
the stub line that is a dead end is a low side access this is the best one to put a valve on...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
I did a ice machine not long ago and made some photos:

Click on photos to enlarge

I took some sand cloth and cleaned the copper line up real good. I fastened the saddle valve on firmly. This type valve uses a allen wrench to pierce the tubing. When done you use that wrench to tighten down the valve and top it off with the included cap.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
More from the swamp:
As you can see I have a small bottle of r134A gas I got from somewhere. I turned the machine on and the pressure in this instance was in the negative 10 PSI of the blue low side gauge. I barely cracked open the gas and add little by little till i got it to settle down and stay put at 5 PSI. If you had no gauge you could slowly add a bit till you got 4 ounces in there and quit. Look at the evap for frost on every coil but not all fat and built like your photo.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »
That ice machine is still kickin out some ice cubes over in Wheelerville by Big creek Lake by the way. Freezers and ice box's all go by the same rule of thumb: Slowly adding freon and keepin it around 5 PSI. Anything above 5 and you may as wee toss it. over charging is just as bad as an under charge.  There ya go 3 ways to load the gas. Amp draw, Looking at the evaporator coils, and gauges. gauges? We don't need no stinkin gauges.  :rofl:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
That last pic was a small ice box I fixed using a $3 epoxy kit I bought from Wally world. The pressure for the mini fridge was the same as any ice box. 5 PSI
The last picture is a AOL junk mail case I got in the mail. It's nice clean surface made a nice platform for mixing the epoxy on. Who says AOL ain't worth messin with?  :rofl:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
When you add the saddle valve and make the pierce listen fer a sec to see if any gas is left in the machine. If you have gas in there the fix is on. Slowwly add some gas in till you get er back up to snuff. We know you have SOME gas in there because she does frost a little. If yall get no sign of any gas in the system then hunt for signs of leaks in areas where leaks occurs and that is usually in the evap area where the defrost heater is closes to the evaporator.  The system will be compromised when no gas is detected. That means you must find the leak and repair it THEN remove the air from the system because air in my neck of the woods has water in it and when freon hits water ice forms and cloggs the artery's of the machine. You gotta vacuum the system out. Then you can replenish the gas with a bit of success, otherwise if air gets in there yall are in trouble, so you gotta be careful when attaching hose be sure and purge the hose a tad bafore connecting to the saddle valve like a doctor shoots a little outta the needle before givin yall a shot. Be sure when adding freon to not allow any air in.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:10:24 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline antman

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I'll get the stuff tomorrow and give it a go tomorrow night. I noticed when looking online that some of the refrigerant comes with a leak fix. Would that be good to use?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:48 PM »
Naw. I would go with plain freon. After ya add a tad it could be years before the system needs more. I would only use that stuff in the event of a terrible leak that I could not find.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline antman

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
Ok. Just to make sure I don't make a stupid mistake. I'll turn off the fridge, then add the saddle valve, make sure the hose has been purged of air. Hook up the refrigerant. Turn on the fridge and let it run for 5-10 min. Then I'll let refrigerant in for about 5 seconds, give it about 10 min and then check the evaporator coils. If coils not frosted completely then repeat. Does this sound about right? Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
That sounds to me like a good plan. Let us know how you come out.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Jenn air refrigerator freezing everything even set at warmest temp

Started by Aliciadiy

Replies: 5
Views: 4118
Last post April 29, 2009, 04:59:10 PM
by Aliciadiy
Amana refrigerator warm, freezing compartment cold

Started by AnotherHeadache

Replies: 8
Views: 5316
Last post July 10, 2009, 11:16:52 PM