Author Topic: Electrolux bullet style ice maker in french door  (Read 12458 times)

Offline rmstrand

• VIP Member
Electrolux bullet style ice maker in french door
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
Looking for assistance here. My Electrolux, french door,  has quit making ICE and is out of warranty. I live in a remote rural region. To have someone come out and fix this will be about 4 hours in labor for driving alone. It's hard to cost justify a technician to come and look at this only to order parts and come out again. $700 later I might have this thing work again. I have the mechanical and electrical aptitude to work on this myself but I need to know what parts to order.

My problems started out when the ice maker would just arbitrarily stop making ice. The repair technician that came out the three times before (under warranty) eventually told me to just shut the icemaker off, and then turn it back on and it would start making ice again. This worked for the last three or four months but recently it started making a ticking sound. I can see the ice maker tray moving from the resting postion at the right, down to the left, gets stuck, clicks, falls back 1/4", moves slightly to the left, clicks, falls back again, etc., and does this for about 1 minute or more until it performs what looks like a fault reset, which then moves the ice maker tray back  and up to the right at-rest position, heats up, and then cools down and sits for about an hour, only to repeat the same process, relentlessly. Is there a PDF of the ice maker with part numbers available? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Model Number: EW23BC71IS0
Manufacture date: 10/09
Optional Ice Maker Kit/Machine Model Type: JBCD-23

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Electrolux bullet style ice maker in french door
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
First call (877)435-3287 today.. ask them for a Concession or ESD number. and it shoulthere is an upgrade kit for this problem . ask them to send you kit# 5303918495 so you will have the part when the tech gets there.

the kit will include the bail arm gear and an upgraded control board..

Main Control Board Part # 5303918495

Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline rmstrand

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
Can you please tell me what "concession or ESD number" mean? Is this implying that Electrolux may do this on good will due to the number of failures?

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
It means they pay for the service and parts, but you may have to pay for mileage.
Serving North Idaho

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »
right PARTech... the ice maker are covered for around 3 yrs... you wil need to call and complain...and get a number to get it paid...

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
BTW  Your Failure is the bail arm gear box. there is an improve one in the upgrade kit.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
And upgraded software in the new icemaker control board and a new ice tray if you don't have the latest...
Serving North Idaho

Offline rmstrand

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »

So quite some time has passed since I posted this. Long story short, I called Electrolux about a month and a half ago. They sent the kit out with the bail arm etc. and about a week later a local tech came out. He installed everything and he ran every diagnostic test to validate the new board was working etc. Shortly after he left the ice maker threw an "ICE t3" error code. I called and he said that the error was related to the thermistor but that the diagnostic test had passed. He called Electrolux and they sent out some dialectric grease. During this time the "ICE t3" message had gone away.

He came back on Friday greased the connector and tested everything again from top to bottom. All tests passed. He reset everything and was on his way.  No "ICE t3" this time, BUT I still don't have ice. It doesn't even cycle or make noise now.

The ice cube tray is definitely frozen, the tray was about half full of water and resting at the proper position against the upper left limit switch. The ice maker just won't cycle through. Like it's not turned on but I have reset it several times and unplugged the refrigerator and the plugged it back in, still no ice.

He left the instruction list, and all of the diagnostic tests do in fact pass. Any ideas? This guy is not coming back out. Electrolux only pays for the warranty call and as far as they're concerned the board works and they aren't going to pay him anything additional. At least it made noise before.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
So, the mold is covering the fingers, full of ice? Mold heater, micro switches that control the mold travel, could even be frost in the electrical connections.  If it is under warranty, and not making ice, get the tech back out there, he didn't finish the job until it is making ice again.
Serving North Idaho

Offline rmstrand

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
I put the old board back in and it's making ice. So that's the good part.

Calling the tech is barely an option. Although he was trained on them he doesn't like the new model refrigerators that are essentially computer controlled. He was griping about how he was losing money on this service call because Electrolux wasn't paying him for the recall because it wasn't working. Where I live is pretty backwoods. Only 90 miles from Seattle but a ferry ride and 70 miles to where people just don't go. So unfortunately you take what you can get out here.

Odd part of this is now I have the instructions and know how to run all the tests. I am well versed with a multimeter so I can run the remaining tests also. The new board passes all the tests as you walk through the guide. The sensors all work but the board doesn't cycle through the process. I'd say the board is clearly defective but Electrolux believes that if it passes all the tests then it's working fine, and it's something else. So... I have the old board in it.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
What I been getting on a lot of these units  that the cap tube from the solenoid to the ice maker freezes up. Thats a restriction and even thou they are replaceable my torch is not going in there. Just had this conversation with them last week.

Offline mikenovember

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
check in the back end of the ice maker where the unit swings to the right to the eject/fill position,  at the rear of this is a plastic shield that warps and does not allow the unit to fully move to the right.  Bend a piece of alluminum sheet (about 1 3/4" by 2 1/2") the long way and slip it over the shield from the front to keep the shield straight and away from the ice maker.

Offline graham99

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
Hi Mikenovember:  In your post "Check in the back end of the ice maker where the unit swings to the right to the eject/fill position,  at the rear of this is a plastic shield that warps and does not allow the unit to fully move to the right.  Bend a piece of alluminum sheet (about 1 3/4" by 2 1/2") the long way and slip it over the shield from the front to keep the shield straight and away from the ice maker"

Were your instructions above the only steps needed to fix the Electrolux bullet style icemaker? If so, what type or thickness of aluminum sheet do you recommend the I use?   Curious, once the aluminum "shield fix" is in place, are you saying that it then allows the unit to fully move to the right?  Can you expand more about what operation is taking place?  Thanks so much!  graham99 

Offline mikenovember

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
The ice maker was trying to move to the right fill position and kept clunking and moving back and forth.  The aluminum I used was about 15 thousands of an inch thick, ( a piece of an old evaporator cover off some old refrigerator).  I made a hole in the plastic with a nail that I heated with a cigarette lighter and drilled a  hole in the metal and put a screw through it, though I think friction would hold it just fine.  After putting this on, it worked fine, this is all it needed

Started by krazytech

Replies: 15
Views: 10343
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:24:29 AM
by PARTech

Started by Wraunch

Replies: 12
Views: 8387
Last post August 10, 2011, 01:59:02 PM
by Wraunch