Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet Washer HF error code  (Read 12714 times)

Offline gtrdave

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet Washer HF error code
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
Hope this helps someone else. Finally fixed mine and it was the little black tubing going to the pressure switch. It took a while to figure this out because the diagnostic test did not bring up any error so I thought the black tube was fine, but I was wrong. My washer is the GHW9150PW4 "Costco model".  Mine would start a wash load and do pre-wash cycle just fine, but about 8-10 minutes into the cycle the machine would fill up with more water and the water level would rise up too far (almost three inches up the window) and then do the emergency shut down H-F error.  Here's how I fixed it:
I opened the top and looked at the little black tubing going to the pressure switch and it looked fine & felt brand new too, so I didn't think it was a bad tube, but it was. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the clear dump water tube looked like it had been crunched a few times againset the side of the machine and had a bit of wear, and slight crease like it had been smashed against the side of the machine;(probably when a cycle ran unbalanced). Look closely with a flashlight and maybe you will find, like me, that the washer --when out of balance-- would occasionally hit and rub those two tubes. The front and back of the washer has cement-like casing that is a little rough and will definitely smash that tube. Feel down there where the washer may hit the tube. There should be a clip that keeps both tubes clamped to the back of the washer so the tubes are kept away from the washer drum rubbing on them. The plastic clip  on mine was broken off, and the tubes were hanging there to the side of the washer drum. The tube didn't have a hole, and looked good but was really warn out where it was rubbing and smashed down thin in this area (probably had a tiny pin hole leak or the smashed tube couldn't hold the correct pressure--thus not telling the machine when it had the right amount of water, overfilling & shutting down with an H-F error code and draining the washer immediately). This is an emergency shut down to prevent the washer from overfilling when it reaches 10.5 gallons of water (per manual).  I cut the bad tubing section out (about 3/4 of an inch piece of bad tubing hose) and used a tubing connector barb (Home Depot mini sprinkler tube connector) to reconnect the tubing back together. I tied a string on the tube before cutting so it wouldn't fall down below and behind the washer. This has fixed my problem perfectly and have no more errors. I'm going go to the appliance parts store and buy a new plastic clip and new black tube to keep the hoses tied to the back and out of the way of the moving drum(the splicing worked fine but I might as well get a new tube while the washer top is open and accesible).
Hope this helps someone else out. I assume by the amount of forums talking about this error this may be happening to a lot of older machines. I found this fix on another blog--thank goodness--cuz everyone kept talking about the circut board $$$, or $50 pressure switch, or flow meter (my machine doesn't have a flow meter - the GHW9100 has that) and I almost called in an appliance repair guy. Saved a few hundred dollars here and fixed it myself.    :)Hope this helps someone else. Finally fixed mine and it was the little black tubing going to the pressure switch. It took a while to figure this out because the diagnostic test did not bring up any error so I thought the black tube was fine but I was wrong. My washer is the GHW9150PW4 "Costco model".  Mine would start a wash load and do pre-wash cycle just fine but about 8-10 minutes into the cycle the machine would fill up with more water and the water level would rise up too far (almost three inches up the window) and then do the emergency shut down H-F error.  Here's how I fixed it:
I opened the top and looked at the little black tubing going to the pressure switch and it looked fine & felt brand new too so I didn't think it was a bad tube but it was. Upon closer inspection I saw that the clear dump water tube looked like it had been crunched a few times againset the side of the machine and had a bit of wear and slight crease like it was smashed against the side of the machine (probably when a cycle ran unbalanced). Look closely with a flashlight and maybe you will find like me that the washer when out of balance would occasionally hit and rub those two tubes. The front and back of the washer has cement like casing that is a little rough and will definitely smash that tube. Feel down there where the washer may hit the tube. There should be a clip that keeps both tubes clamped to the back of the washer so the tubes are kept away from the machine rubbing on them. The plastic clip  on mine was broken off and the tubes were hanging there to the side of the machine. The tube didn't have a hole per say and looked good but was really warn out where it was rubbing and smashed down thin in this area (probably had a tiny pin hole leak or the smashed tube couldn't hold the correct pressure thus not telling the machine when it had the right amount of water, overfilling & shutting down with an H-F error code and draining the washer immediately). This is an emergency shut down to prevent the washer from overfilling when it reaches 10.5 gallons of water (per manual).  I cut the bad tubing section out (about 3/4 of an inch piece of bad tubing hose) and used a tubing connector barb (Home Depot mini sprinkler tube connector) to reconnect the tubing back together. I tied a string on the tube before cutting so it wouldn't fall down below behind the washer. This has fixed my problem perfectly and have no more errors. I'm going go to the appliance parts store and buy a new plastic clip and new black tube to keep the hoses tied to the back and out of the way of the moving drum(the splicing worked fine but I might as well get a new tube while I'm at it).
Hope this helps someone else out. I assume by the amount of forums talking about this error this may be happening to a lot of older machines. I found this fix on another blog thank goodness cuz everyone kept talking about the circut board $$$, or $50 pressure switch, or flow meter (this machine doesn't have a flow meter - the GHW9100 has that) and I almost called in an appliance repair guy. Saved a few hundred dollars here and fixed it myself.  <*///><

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Duet Washer HF error code
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
excellent.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline OregonRob

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »
to gtrdave: A HUGE thank you for this post... I've been google searching for THREE DAYS following our overfilled washing machine spilling out on us! Called 6 different repair places.. 1 tried saying it was the motherboard and wanted to 'come get it' if we didn't want to pay $500 for the repair, few others kept trying to say pressure switch and $120 repair, but finally found an honest repairman that helped me troubleshoot through different parts of the washer as we were having the same issues, and finally found a 1/2" tear where a spot had been worn out on the pressure switch hose.. Now we can get it repaired for fairly cheap thanks to your post coming up on my google searches!

Offline gtrdave

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:21:12 AM »
You're welcome! Glad I could help. I searched everywhere on the internet for the fix and finally found it. I ended up purchasing a new black tube for something like $3.00 at an appliance repair supply shop. The plastic clip that holds the tubes back out of the way to keep the drum from hitting and rubbing the tubes was over $20.00. I can't remember exactly how much the clip cost but I can remember thinking "what a rip off" the cost of that cheap little plastic clip was. It will break really easy if your wash cycle goes out of balance.

Thanks for reply OregonRob and glad I could help.
Dave

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
Worked on one today with same fault code. This one had a faulty flow meter.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
May i ask the proper procedure for testing the meter?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
The tech sheet suggest testing for proper resistance. I'm not sure of the value, but it's probably on the tech sheet. I suspected that was the problem, so I just switched it out? Problem solved.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »
I figured the pressure switch was the primary water level switch, while the flow meter was the high fill back up.... :oops:

Offline Kevin Frazier

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi - thanks for this! I had the exact problem with the exact washer.  Had a repair guy look at it, he said replace the CCU.  Wanted to charge $325.  I found a cheap refurb online, replaced CCU, no change.  Cleaned out water supply from wall to drum, including dispenser, with no luck.  I was considering replacing the pressure switch when I found this article - went to Lowes and got sixty cents of tubing, and my problem was solved.  I would recommend to anyone getting the "FH" error that they check the pressure switch tubing before anything else.  THANKS AGAIN!!!   :cheers:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 13859
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet Washer F5 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 9627
Last post October 05, 2008, 08:39:47 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Duet Washer giving error code F/05