Author Topic: Kenmore 70 series? washer wont spin after belt replacement  (Read 1701 times)

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Kenmore 70 series? washer wont spin after belt replacement
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »

Shouldn't be really tight. The correct tension should allow a 1/2" deflection between motor pulley and drive pulley. You may have clothing between the tubs. You will need to open the top and remove the outer tub cover after disengaging the snubber and cover clips so that you can look down between tubs. Of course, there could be something at the bottom that you can't see. You can operate spin manually by rotating the belt from right to left while lifting up on the spin cam bar solenoid plunger. Keep holding plunger up and rotating belt and the spin cam bar should be pulled back and brake will release and clutch engage.

Eric

Offline itsdatoneguy

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
Alright, next update. I re did the tranny had it lined up and it spins. however, if i actually tighten the tranny, so its snug, it no longer spins. so i was like screw this thing its been 3 days, just left it loose and it worked. However, if you put a bigger load then medium in there, the tub shakes like all hell and hits the buzzer and auto stops

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
  What is it doing when it's not spinning and you hear humming? Are the belt and pulleys rotating? If the basket drive pulley is not rotating, then the clutch must be engaged but apparently the brake is not fully disengaged. If this is the case, check that the upper brake drum set screw is all the way in. When you leave the transmission bolts a little loose, the basket drive drops and provides a little more clearance between the upper brake drum and tub baseplate when clutch is engaged.

Also, I'm assuming you did remember to put the spacer back in for the one transmission bolt, and you are only tightening the transmission bolts with the washer upright.

Eric
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:02:05 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline itsdatoneguy

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
  What is it doing when it's not spinning and you hear humming? Are the belt and pulleys rotating? If the basket drive pulley is not rotating, then the clutch must be engaged but apparently the brake is not fully disengaged. If this is the case, check that the upper brake drum set screw is all the way in. When you leave the transmission bolts a little loose, the basket drive drops and provides a little more clearance between the upper brake drum and tub baseplate when clutch is engaged.

Also, I'm assuming you did remember to put the spacer back in for the one transmission bolt, and you are only tightening the transmission bolts with the washer upright.

Eric

Its not spinning an i here humming. I crawled over the washer and behind it, while it was doing this and all the pulleys are spining, including the one connected to the tub. The only thing not spinning  is the piece with the springs on it, it will spin when its not torqued down but not when its torqued down. All the spacers are there and for once i was left with no left over bolts, nuts, spacers etc. When tightening the tranny it was upright and not faced down.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »

Check the clearance of the clutch. With washer out of spin mode (spin cam bar forward), the distance between the clutch lining and the pulley surface should be 1/16". If it is more, than you need to adjust the thickness of the washer/washers between the clutch shaft and yoke. If there was only one washer there, then remove it and check clearance again.

Eric

kenmore 90 series washer wont spin

Started by barnett74

Replies: 3
Views: 5000
Last post December 27, 2008, 04:33:31 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore washer wont spin

Started by futch13

Replies: 5
Views: 4564
Last post October 09, 2007, 12:28:49 PM