Author Topic: defrost problem  (Read 1538 times)

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
defrost problem
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
Hi all, I had a customer today with a whirlpool sxs, the customer called me and said the refrigerator was not getting cold and they said they saw frost on the back freezer panel,i knew right away it was a defrost problem,got out there and the coils was covered in frost, i tested the heat elements they tested good, i also tested what i believe to be the defrost t.stat, it checked good,so i assumed it would be a board problem,i never worked on these new electronic units,told the customer it was a main board problem,but they did not want to pay for a board because the frig.was given to them,and they would rather buy a new one but i would like to know how to put this refrigerator in defrost,i could not find the model# any where on the frig. so i found this model# it look pretty close to the one i looked at today,if anyone have this manual it will be greatly appreciated. mod# gc1shaxmb00. also the evap.fan worked,and condenser fan worked

Model gc1shaxmb00

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: defrost problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
Try this: Turn your cold control off then on 3 times in 6 seconds to activate the defrost control.Using  a clamp on amp meter on the incoming power supply wire you should read about 4 amps. If you do all is OK. If the fridge shuts off and you read no amps,replace the defrost thermostat for sure, then the heater must be checked with your meter for continuity. If open, replace it. If the ice box does not turn off for the test, Then replace the ADC (defrost board).
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
Re: defrost problem
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Thanks,JW for your quick response.I didn't see a cold control on this refrigerator,it just had the interface key pad arrows up and down for temp, i think i would have to do some sort of key dance with those buttons on the control panel. but i did test the heater, defrost t. stat which it was closed,had frost all over it,so i just tried to rule out as much as i could,and came to the conclusion the board was bad.the refrigerator was in the cooling mode,Evap. running,and condenser fan running,with a very heavy frost pattern over the entire back panel.

thanks again for your reply,hope someone have the manual

HELP ,im repairing my own Ref a Frigidair defrost problem

Started by williesanchez69

Replies: 4
Views: 2271
Last post November 25, 2009, 07:21:30 PM
by williesanchez69
FRS6R5ESBC/Frigidair HELP ,im repairing my own Ref a Frigidair defrost problem

Started by williesanchez69

Replies: 2
Views: 1715
Last post November 18, 2009, 07:39:33 PM