Author Topic: Maytag Legacy Washer wont Spin  (Read 7198 times)

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
Maytag Legacy Washer wont Spin
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
A week ago the machine stopped spinning.  It would agitate just fine.  I tipped it over and found that the pulley would turn loose counterclockwise very easy but the brake was not releasing and the drive shaft was not engaging so that it would spin the drum.  When I attempted to move the drum by hand it is tight as the brake is still engaged.  I also noticed that all the information I could find says that counter clockwise the drive shaft will go up 3/8 inch and it looks like mine is only going up 1/8 inch. I removed the transmission pulley, and the brake assembly and noticed it spins freely in either direction when attempting to spin it from top but I can not get the drive shaft to engage the spin tub counter clockwise.  Can someone tell me what this is.  Transmission, clutch or something else,  I bought an old magic chef washer on craigs list but want to learn from this one.  Funny thing is the magic chef machine has all the same mechanical parts as the legacy.

Model MAV408DAWW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag Legacy Washer wont Spin
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
The main drive pulley has a cam in it. When the motor turns in spin the cam releases the brake and allows the tub to spin. Since that pulley is plastic it wears out with time and needs to be replaced. The kit comes with a variety of washers with different thicknesses. Another component in the kit is the thrust washer and also a new drive pulley. The trick is to mount the kit where the brake will lock for wash but will release for spin. Too many washers and the drum will turn freely in wash, resulting in knotted clothes all to heck. Too few washers and the drum won't release.

Photos of step by step Thrust Washer kit install
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:50:19 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
sounds like you need a thrust bearing kit

THRUST BEARING KIT
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Pulley/1042142
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
I have the transmission pulley off and the brake off.  When I push the drive shaft up as high as it will go it still does not engage so the drum will spin.  I thought the thrust bearing might be the problem but I think that the drive shaft is not going up high enough.  Where is it where the drive shaft going up 3/8 inch makes a connection to engage the spin cycle?  Is it in the transmission?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »
Interesting can you show us some photos?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:19 AM »
Because I am new I am not sure the correct way to post pics so I will just point where the files are on my FTP.  This way they will maintain good resolution.  The pics do not reveal much except my estimate of how far up the drive shaft goes is only about 1/16 inch.  The first pic is with me pushing the drive shaft in

http://home.comcast.net/~printergod2000/in.jpg

This one I am pulling the drive shaft out

http://home.comcast.net/~printergod2000/out.jpg

After removing the thrust bearing kit last week I was unable to re install it.  With the thrust washer it was too tight to get the cir clip back on the pulley.  I was able to get the circlip back on the pulley without the thrust washer but everything was too tight and the thrust bearing would not rotate and ride up the slope as it should

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
Here is a pic without my hand blocking everything

http://home.comcast.net/~printergod2000/wash%20machine%20002.JPG

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
With the brake off there the drum should easily turn.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Take them springs out and remove the hoses (marking everything how it goes) and remove the whole drum; get out the inner tub and agitator, flip it all over and yall come up with this:

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Click on photos to enlarge
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »
The bearing kit bolts to the base plate. It is in 2 pieces the bottom bolts to that plate and the top bolts to the inner tub.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »
I figured I would give ya an idea whats involves in changing the tub bearing out.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
You put it all together first then stick it back in the washer and reattach the hoses and springs, I just want to give ya an idea how it all goes back these photos show where everything goes but not how it goes back into the machine.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures.  With the brake off it does spin easy.  It just wont spin with the pulley attached.  The drive shaft free spins counter clockwise and does not turn the tub

Offline eurolarva

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
With the brake off I just tried putting the pulley and it now looks like the thrust bearing is bad.  I am going to go to a hardware store to get some shims to put in there to verify this is the problem.  I will try putting the brake back in then see if I can make it work with the shims.  If that works I will buy the thrust bearing kit from this website.  When I put the brake back on can I use all purpose greese or does it have to be lithium greese.  I am only talking about the gears .

Maytag washer wont spin

Started by dcrucet

Replies: 5
Views: 2739
Last post February 03, 2011, 05:24:03 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag neptune washer wont spin

Started by Steve a

Replies: 6
Views: 3870
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:20:25 AM
by Ironhorse