Author Topic: Maytag CGR3730ADH (30" range) lock light blinking after power outage  (Read 4600 times)

Offline spup345

• VIP Member
I have a Magic Chef (aka Maytag) CGR3730ADH 30" range. We had a power outage 2 nights ago. Today, for the first time since the outage, we tried to use the Bake mode on the oven. Pressed Bake and instead of defaulting to 350 degrees, instead it just made the "lock" light blink on/off. It worked perfectly before the power outage. I find it hard to believe that the lock light blinking is related to the oven door lock simply because everything worked perfectly up until the power outage. Would a surge cause a control board issue like this, or is it truly coincidental and maybe something else is wrong?

3 questions:

1. Must I replace the entire control board for the unit as a result, Part# W10162787

2. Is it easy to simply remove the old board & plug in the new one? I'm a good DIY'er & have wired outlets & recessed lighting myself, so if it's fairly straightforward.....

3. In the future, should I plug all my major appliances into a small surge protector instead of directly into the wall outlet, would that prevent the circuitry from blowing?

Thanks!!!!

Offline spup345

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag CGR3730ADH (30" range) lock light blinking after power outage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
And, FYI, the self-clean mode does work, so it's probably not a door latch thing...I just tried it....

Offline spup345

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »
And, FYI, the self-clean mode does work, so it's probably not a door latch thing...I just tried it....

Sorry....my bad...I push self-clean, it then says "Dr" in the display. I then move the lock over on the door and then it goes to a timer of "3:00" so apparently, the door lock is working. However, I wait about 30 seconds and then it pops up "F9" and turns off. So it seems like the control board just isn't able to ignite the oven whether in bake, broil, or self-clean mode. Again, I'm thinking the control board is bad...

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
The door latch is your most likely problem and least expensive.
Replace it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:44:23 AM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline spup345

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
Problem solved. In summary, it was the control board that blew due to the power outage the other night.

I bought a new control board, part # W10162787

I unplugged the range. Then I unscrewed the 4 screws on the back upper panel on the stove to access the control board. Unscrewed the 4 screws holding the control board, popped off the 5 wire connections from the board, put them on in the same spots on the new board, screwed it back in, plugged the range back in, tested it, and everything worked! Voila.

Hope this helps folks in the future, very easy to do yourself if you have a screwdriver.

(Only tricky part is popping off the old connections, you need to push a sharp object into the hole on each connector to be able to slide the connector up & off).

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Glad to hear you got it fixed.  O0

Thanks for the update, it's sure to help others down the road with  the same problem.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline madaone

• VIP Member
I had the same problem as a result of a brownout screwing up the control board.  I ordered a new control board from repair clinic (I needed white) as described above and problem solved! Thank you Appliance Junk and Repair Clinic.  The link below is the white control board I ordered.   

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Control-Board/1514983

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
You might want to get a surge suppressor to keep the new board from being ruined in the future. What do you think?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
madaone,

Glad you got it fixed!

Thanks for the update.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Maytag PGR5710BDQ Gas Range, Flashing lock light when bake or broil is pressed

Started by straycatt

Replies: 4