Author Topic: LG wm 2277 Soap Dispenser problem  (Read 8507 times)

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
LG wm 2277 Soap Dispenser problem
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
Wife just called to tell me our washer has water coming out of the soap dispenser and down the front of the machine when she tries to wash clothes. I assume that there is something plugging up the tube that runs to the drum. Can anyone tell me how to remedy this???

Model WM2277

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: LG wm 2277 Soap Dispenser problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Remove the dispenser tray. Remove the blue liquid detergent cup. Add all to the top rack of the dishwasher---run a cycle. This makes much less a chore of cleaning the dispenser tray assy. Per: John LG tech
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
John, Thanks once again, the wife claims that it is overflowing where the tray goes in like the tube to the drum is plugged. This does not look like a possiblity to me but I am at work and will not be able to look at it until later. Is the dispenser the only thing you are aware of that could cause this? Thanks, Jim

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Well I am JW by the way. John63 is the LG expert. I am learning these new fangled washers. Here is what he says:
You MUST use "HE" (High Efficiency-Low Suds) type detergent--but to use the correct amount.
Nearly all brands of "HE" detergent have incorrect  instructions.

The correct amount is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Washload

HE 2X (double concentrated) : (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X (triple concentrated): (1) Teaspoon

This reduces/prevents:

1) Musty Odor

2) "LE" Error/Interrupted Cycle

3) L-O-N-G Cycle Times (longer than time displayed)

4) Insufficient Cleaning Results

5) Small Water Leaks from the air vent behind the washer or at the
    front door gasket

6) Damaged Hall Effect Sensor (on 2007 or older LG washers)

7) Reduced Spin Speeds (laundry not spin-dried effectively)

Most consumers were doing what is *normally* the right thing to do, which is to follow directions on the detergent label. In this rare case--those directions should be entirely disregarded.

Additionally--in many LG washers--the liquid dispenser cup (blue cup) has a "MAX" line on the white siphon cap.
This was a very big *faux pas* on LGs part--this "MAX" line has NOTHING to do with measuring detergent and should never be used as a guide for determining correct detergent amount.
The "MAX" line indicates how much liquid must be in the blue dispenser cup before it DISPENSES from the bottom of the cup.
This is a very,very frustrating mistake that gives owners much grief.

After three months of incorrect type of detergent or incorrect amount of the correct detergent used--musty odor begins to occur.
After more than two years--a significant amount of soap scum/curd has accumulated in the washer. Odor-causing bacteria flourishes on this build-up.
It is imperative to remove this slimy residue. Tide sells a product called "TIDE WASHING MACHINE CLEANER" which is very effective.

Once a tub has become heavily contaminated--normal methods of performing a TUB CLEAN cycle won't "cut it".

Add the entire packet of "TIDE WASHING MACHINE CLEANER" directly into the tub (no laundry) and close the door.

Press and hold: SPIN SPEED & SOIL LEVEL buttons--then press POWER button.
Wait for door to lock.

Press the START button (6) times--this will fill the tub with hot water to the maximum setting when it stops filling.

Press the START button two more times--this will enable the tub to tumble.
After 3 hours--turn "off" the washer.
Turn the washer back "on".
Select the shortest wash cycle (usually "quick wash") and press "START". This will rinse out the tub.
This method of "TUB CLEAN" is *not* from a service manual but has been the best method for cleaning out LG washers more than a year into incorrect detergent useage.

After this--use the correct amount of "HE" detergent & perform a "TUB CLEAN" cycle every (4) months using the *tub clean* option on the control panel.

Most digital-controlled front load washers have a software feature that consumers are unaware of.
If excess suds is detected by the MAIN BOARD (which monitors motor electrical load during rinse & final spin) the "suds kill mode" will be enabled.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
Ok to aid you in repairs use this handy dandy WM2277 service manual provided by Fearless Leader:
  WM2277 Tech Service Manual
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
On page 33 shows how to remove the dispenser assembly; if you do that mark where each hose attaches or you will screw it up putting it back in after cleaning if them hoses is crossed it is very easy to mix them hoses up.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
Thanks JW, I will take a look at it when I get home. I just cant for the life of me see how the area below the dispenser could be holding water like she is telling me. It appears to me from the manual the water should flow out the big hose attached to the back. Do you know if that hose attaches to the circulation pump or go directly to the tub?

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
JW, This is a strange one. Got home and pulled out the soap dispenser drawer, water standing in the bottom of the dispenser area like the wife said. Tried to run diagnostics and some functions did not work. Pulled the top off of the washer to take a look. The big hose with the bellows in it that runs from the dispenser to the tub (F310) in the manual was full of water. I flexed the bellows area by hand and it made a strange noise and water poured into the tub. I proceeded to try to run diagnostics again and everthing worked. Do you happen to know if this hose has a flapper in it of some sort that could have stuck or gotten out of position? Or is this something that may need to be replaced?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
I do not know of any flap in there. Probably had a clog of goop in there. Wouldn't surprise me if yall didn't get a dang error out of the that.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
No error out of this just water everywhere. We have had errors in the past from the screens on the inlets getting obstructed (well water) by particles of iron. We have tried to be really concious of avoiding too much detergent. Hard to believe that soap could obstruct a hose that size. it has to be 1 1/2 inches in diameter at its smallest. The only error is the intermiitent dE door error and I am changing the dooor latch/lock (mentioned in my other thread) this weekend, part # 6601ER1004C
I picked up the cleaner you mentioned when I picked up the part and will do that as well. Thanks, Jim

Soap Dispenser question??

Started by jrudyjr

Replies: 4
Views: 2478
Last post March 15, 2009, 03:04:11 PM
by jrudyjr
Over flow problem solved - thanks to you

Started by woody

Replies: 4
Views: 2777
Last post October 21, 2007, 03:54:50 PM
by Pegi