Author Topic: Kenmore (Whirlpool) Side by side Refrigerator getting very hot to touch on front  (Read 19409 times)

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
I have had this SBS for probably 12 years but this is the first time that I have noticed the front of the cabinet, the common center "bar" that the 2 doors close onto, is VERY HOT to the touch.  Not warm, but HOT.  

Maybe I have never noticed it before (12 years?) but is this normal?  I can't imagine that it is but that shows how much I know.  Maybe it keeps the seals from freezing when the doors are closed? It's hot from the top down.

Model 106.52754100

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Clean the coils under the kick plate, that is the most common problem.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
I agree with theoldstoveguy, clean the coils under the kick plate.

It should not get that hot.

BTW: I edited your title for you.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
I agree with theoldstoveguy, clean the coils under the kick plate.

It should not get that hot.

BTW: I edited your title for you.

Thanks for the edit ... the coils are (and have been) clean.  Each time I change the water filter I clean it. How would that cause the vertical bar to get hot anyway?  I'm talking "hot" not just warm.  It goes from the top of the refrig/freezer cabinet down almost to the floor. It feels like there are heater wires in it that are heating up.  It's not quite "uncomfortable" to touch but pretty close.  Everything else feels normal and the refrig and freezer seem to be working fine.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
After you clean the coils ... Pull it out and go to the Back. Remove the back cover. and check the fan is turning...If not you need a condenser fan motor...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline krazytech

• Technician
Why it is HOT... There is a tube loop (Yoder loop) in the cabinet. After the refrigerant is pumped into the condenser it is pumped into the Yoder loop of hot gas runs around the opening in cabinet wall too keep condensation low around the edge...if your condenser coils are dirty or plugged or if your fan is not blowing air over the condenser then the hot gas will be transfered to the Yoder loop. make sure when the compressor is running the fan is turning.

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
Thanks .. that sounds like the most logical problem.  The sound I am hearing could just be the condenser motor and not the fan. I'll pull it out in the morning.  If the fan did die is there a chance of damage or at worse a fire hazard?

Cleaning those coils is a bit.... er, pain in the rear.  They are shaped in a very narrow "V" and very difficult to do a good cleaning job on them.  Even small tools won't get all the way in.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
Yea, they call them self cleaning but you know they have to cleaned. the Hotter the compressor gets the more damage you can do to it...I have see them so hot that the floor under the compressor is black ... I would pull it out and ( if the fan is not turning) put a fan ( even a small personal fan) in the back to blow air over the condeser coil...I have a small fan that keep in the truck to put behind a refer if I don't have the correct fan motor with me.

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
Well, I pulled the refrig out and I may have resolved the problem.

First thing I found was that 25cent piece of cardboard with the 3cents worth of insulation that covers the section where the compressor and coils and fan are (that they want $72 to replace!!!!!!!!!!!!) wasn't attached.

Then I took a vacuum and tried cleaning the coils which is just about impossible, especially the MIDDLE row.  I finally took my compressed air blower and just hit it with all it had.  Even with that it still wasn't able to full clear the middle row of coils but I got 90% of all the gunk from under the refrig (which is now blowing all over the house!) and it looks like new ;)

It seems right now that the hot spot is mostly gone.  I THINK it was more from the lack of the $72 cardboard cover (worth 28cents or less) not keeping the fan air circulation under the refrig circulating.

We'll see how it goes in a few hours.

How do you get the condensation drip pan out of this thing?  I'd like to clean it out.  I can't figure a way to remove it either from the front or back.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
if your drip pan looks like the one in the link...it come out the front...

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drip-Tray/730403?modelNumber=106.52754100

Offline krazytech

• Technician
I am glad you fixed it... I would keep an eye on that fan motor... when the compressor is on that fan should be turning ... this unit pulls air in from the front thou the condenser then back out the front...

For the yoder loop to get that hot you had no heat exchange in your condenser...

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
if your drip pan looks like the one in the link...it come out the front...

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drip-Tray/730403?modelNumber=106.52754100

That would be logical but it seem to be completely blocked.  See photo.

Offline MisterEd

• VIP Member
Why is there no edit option on messages? Or am I just missing it?  Weird ... anyway ......

It won't come out the back and it won't come through the front.  Also, the heat problem (the original issue) seems to be resolved.  The fan was fine but the problem probably was caused by the removed cardboard cover over the condenser.  Without that cover there was no relatively enclosed air-path for the fan to pull out the heat. I had to duct tape it on because it has ripped over the years and I sure as heck aren't paying $75 for a new one.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Why is there no edit option on messages? Or am I just missing it?  Weird ... anyway ......

Because to many people go back and edit information and it does not get read again.

By having to post your correction they are sure to get noticed.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
I did not say it was easy..you have to remove the filter housing and supports....

I have see many fan motors that will work some of the time... but have a hard time starting.. when the Motor stops in just the right postion....

Glad you got it fixed....

Water Disp Leaking Kenmore (Whirlpool) Side by side Refrigerator 106.52754100

Started by MisterEd

Replies: 3
Views: 3156
Last post August 07, 2012, 07:13:40 AM
by haroldsappliance
Kenmore Coldspot side by side refrigerator

Started by kornbread3

Replies: 1
Views: 5044
Last post March 01, 2009, 07:34:29 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore side by side refrigerator over heating

Started by bobxnyer

Replies: 5
Views: 4151
Last post May 26, 2009, 04:56:34 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
R-102 Whirlpool 2003 High Counter-Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2294
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:02:56 PM
by AJ
Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator - crushed ice only

Started by sguthrie04

Replies: 4
Views: 5556
Last post March 28, 2011, 06:39:08 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Side By Side Refrigerator not getting cold - Start Relay? Model -