Author Topic: Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling  (Read 2981 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »
Model # KSRD22FKWH03, this unit stopped cooling for the customer after about 4.5 years without a problem. The customer called a local service company that proceeded to replace the compressor starter with an aftermarket device and told the customer their compressor was failing and would require replacement. The customer was shocked by the estimate let alone the cost of service and the aftermarket starter so they were looking for another opinion. After inspecting the unit, I found the compressor was operating fine, but since the original starter was already replaced, I couldn't take a look at it to determine if it was actually faulty, but the aftermarket starter is definitely something that should not be used on a working compressor. I replaced the starter with a correct factory start device and everything works great. The start device is used to provide current to both compressor windings during start up, and to provide current overload protection. If your refrigerator stops cooling and the compressor isn't operating, it is possible the starter has failed and needs replacing. Just make sure it is replaced with a factory original part and not an aftermarket unit as this will void any extended warranty for the sealed system components, and will very likely cause the compressor to fail.  Look at the photo above I took prior to the repair.  Do not use these on your refrigerator.

Compressor Factory Starting Device Kit Part # 8201786

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kitchenaid Refrigerator Not Cooling
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »
 O0
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Kitchenaid Refrigerator not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7603
Last post October 15, 2008, 06:42:57 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 6255
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 6898
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 7326
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 8300
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling