Author Topic: LG combo washer/dryer thermistor help  (Read 5883 times)

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
LG combo washer/dryer thermistor help
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:28 AM »
Hiya,

We have a WM3988HWA combo washer/dryer that's giving the dreaded tE error (the "heating error" that's supposed to mean the thermistor is out of order). We took off the top and front of the machine see whether the problem looks DIY-able, but, er ... we can't actually find the (wash) thermistor to check it.

Looking at the photos on p. 26 and the exploded view of the drum and tub assembly on p. 64 of the service manual (which we got here: http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/content/pdfs/125502-8.pdf ), we found what looks extremely convincingly like the heater assembly ... but if it is, the wash thermistor isn't where the photos indicate it should be. There *is* an extra piece on the heater assembly that isn't in the photos on p. 26, but it doesn't look or behave like the service manual says the thermistor should, so we're kind of iffy about it being the thermistor.

I'll try to get a photo later today, once there's light, of what the heater assembly area looks like on our machine vs. in the service manual, but in the meantime, has anyone else repaired this error in this model of washer/dryer? The model number on the machine matches the model number in the service manual, but is there some way we could have the wrong manual anyway? Or is there some other explanation for the mismatch between what the service manual shows and what's in the actual machine?

Thanks for any help...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: LG combo washer/dryer thermistor help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
I looked up your model number and here is the photo of the heating element.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Heating-Element/1377871

Looks like the thermistor is built into the element.

Are you saying that your washer has the heating element, but no thermistor on it?

I'll try to get a photo later today

Please do post a photo of it.

Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
I looked up your model number and here is the photo of the heating element.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Heating-Element/1377871

Looks like the thermistor is built into the element.

Are you saying that your washer has the heating element, but no thermistor on it?

No, just that because the service manual shows the heating element differently than it really looks, we weren't sure what was going on (e.g., if we were just totally looking at the wrong thing, or if the manual is wrong, or what). This is what the manual shows the heater assembly looking like:

...and this is what it really looks like:

It was kind of awkward taking the picture, so I didn't get the right side of the area, where in the service manual there's a black piece and a red circle around a white connector.  That black piece with the white connector isn't there on our machine, but obviously there *is* a white piece with a white wire and a blue wire, that isn't in the service manual photo.

The manual says you can take the thermistor out, independent of the heating element, but it also says the thermistor is attached to that black part that doesn't really exist, so I guess it's wrong, huh? Does that mean the white piece with the blue and white wires is the thermistor (or attached to the built-in thermistor)?

Thanks for the photo to the part it looks like it matches what's *really* on our machine, never mind what the manual says, so at least we know we're looking at the right thing. ;)

So this means that if there's a thermistor problem, we'll probably need to replace the entire heater assembly?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
I guess it's wrong, huh? Does that mean the white piece with the blue and white wires is the thermistor (or attached to the built-in thermistor)?

I would guess they made some changes since the manual was made. Yes the white piece with the blue and white wires is the thermistor.

So this means that if there's a thermistor problem, we'll probably need to replace the entire heater assembly?

Yes.

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
I would guess they made some changes since the manual was made. Yes the white piece with the blue and white wires is the thermistor.

Yes.

Good to know. Thanks for the prompt help.

We also noticed there's a drain hose running off the pump that we need to replace, too, and if we can't figure out which part that is, I'll have to come back and ask. ;)

Thanks again.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
Here you go, WM3988HWA Parts

Please keep us updated as to how the repair goes and let us know if you have any more questions.

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
Will do! Thanks!

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
Just posting an update: We actually had a drain hose leak that we thought was unrelated to the thermistor issue, but it turns out there was some corrosion or rust on the thermistor connection (that may have been caused by the moisture). Following the directions in the service manual, we tested the resistance on the heater assembly thermistor, which at first registered at 0 ... then after we sanded off some of the corrosion it had the same resistance as the other thermistors. So I just ordered a replacement drain hose and once it gets here we'll re-test the machine to see if that fixed the problem.

Crossing fingers. ;)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
 O0

Offline ian_ian11

• VIP Member
  • Shop Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
If it was that thermistor, you wouldn't have to replace the entire heating element. Well, you would if you were ordering from LG themselves because you can only order the entire heating assembly through LG, not the thermistor by itself. But it is very easy to replace had you had an extra one just laying around. All you would have to do is loosen the nut that is holding the ground, or take the nut completely off, and you can take out the thermistor that way. I have done it numerous times. But I also work in a shop where I have access to thermistors without having to order them.

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
If it was that thermistor, you wouldn't have to replace the entire heating element.

Oh, really? That would be awesome. Is this the right thermistor, or is there another type that's used in the heating assembly? http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/1268202

Thanks for letting me know! :D

Offline ian_ian11

• VIP Member
  • Shop Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
If it was that thermistor, you wouldn't have to replace the entire heating element.

Oh, really? That would be awesome. Is this the right thermistor, or is there another type that's used in the heating assembly? http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/1268202

Thanks for letting me know! :D

The picture of that particular thermistor will not work on your tub. Your service manual was giving you the wrong picture of your actual tub and heating assembly. If you order directly from LG you will have to order a new element as the element and thermistor come together(for your tub/heating assy). But I would suggest prehaps heading to your local appliance place and asking someone if they prehaps have one that you could have.  I wish I had the part number of the thermistor for you, but I do not.

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »
If you order directly from LG you will have to order a new element as the element and thermistor come together(for your tub/heating assy). But I would suggest prehaps heading to your local appliance place and asking someone if they prehaps have one that you could have.

Ohhh, okay. That's a good idea. Hopefully our fix will work, but if it doesn't, it's nice to know we have options to try. Thanks!

Offline flpirate

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
It worked! ;D

At least, the drain hose replacement arrived, it's in the machine, and we've run a few loads of laundry without any leaks or recurrences of the TE error. So it looks like cleaning the corrosion/rust off the wash thermistor did it. Woohoo.

Thanks for all the tips and links and support. You guys and this forum saved us a lot of floundering. ;)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
 O0

LG TROMM WASHER DRYER COMBO

Started by cammy

Replies: 1
Views: 3722
Last post March 06, 2008, 07:46:35 PM
by JWWebster
LG washer/dryer combo. Not spinning

Started by mandu73

Replies: 26
Views: 7442
Last post October 07, 2009, 10:31:28 PM
by JWWebster
LG WM3677HW Washer/Dryer Combo. Spin Issue.

Started by jvanness162

Replies: 14
Views: 4642
Last post June 17, 2011, 07:00:44 PM
by AJ
LG combo washer/dryer not draining fully, has slow leak

Started by flpirate

Replies: 7
Views: 3119
Last post July 25, 2011, 03:18:46 PM
by AJ
Oil leak on floor from washer/dryer combo.

Started by euges720

Replies: 1
Views: 988
Last post December 06, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
by AJ
LG WD-3274RHD Washer/Dryer combo unit - drain pump not pumping

Started by teal

Replies: 3
Views: 2589
Last post January 04, 2012, 05:16:14 PM
by AJ