Author Topic: Freezer works - then gets warm  (Read 4155 times)

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
Freezer works - then gets warm
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
I got a Amana ASD2624HEB Side By Side fridge from a girl at my work. She had indicated that she woke up and the fridge had gone out and everything melted but I could have it if I wanted to fix it. When I went to pick it up it was plugged in and working.  Figured she was nuts! :)   So we took it home and plugged it in and let it cool. Everything was fine and it even started making ice so I know it was at least 2 degrees in the freezer.  YAY!  Well this morning I woke up to water dripping down the freezer. I opened it up and the freezer was warm and the ice had melted.

Now when we got it working last night the dial was set at 6. Once it got to temp I turned it back to 4 which is the suggested setting. This morning when it was warm I wipped all the water out of it and turned the dial back to 6. It appeared to be cooling back down when I left this morning. Any ideas on what could be wrong with this thing?  Could the dial just need to be kept on 6?  Is there a thermostat?  Help!

Thanks!

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Freezer works - then gets warm
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
I would guess it's going to be Your Defrost Control Board giving your problems or more likely the Thermostat that you are adjusting the dial on.

If you can catch it warmed up and not running I would give the thermostat knob a tap or two and see if the refrigerator kicks in and starts running. If it does that is a good sign that the thermostat is getting stuck in the open position and needs to be replaced.

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
Thank you for the reply.  I will give it a try when I get home from work.   My son just told me it is warm again.  It had started to cool this morning.

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »
I'm home from work and the freezer and fridge are both warm.  I tapped by the knob but nothing kicked back on.  Would you still start with the thermostat?

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Unless you have a ohm meter to check parts it's going to be a guessing game.

If when it does run everything cools down good, refrigerator around 38 Deg. F. and the freezer around 0-5 Deg. F. chances are everything with the sealed system such as the compressor and refrigerant is ok.

Seems to be something cycling the refrigerator off and then not turning it back on. This would lead me to believe it was the thermostat or something with the defrost system.

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
Thanks.  After banging around the thermostat when I turn the knobs to the off position and turn them back on I hear the it kick back on.  The fans are blowing air and the fridge seems to be cooling back down.  The door has a chill to it.   Guess we'll start with the thermostat and go from there.  Thanks!

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
Sounds like a bad thermostat to me. Looking at the link AJ posted for it they are cheap enough to try and the best part about ordering it from RepairClinic.com is you can return it for any reason for up to 365 days. If it don't fix it send it back, but I think it will solve the problem.

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
Plugged it back in after work and it ran for several hours and got cold again...both the freezer & fridge.    Just went to check it and it's not running again.  The fan is not running but the compressor is hot.  I assume since it was running for a while.  We are going to order the thermostat and start there.  Tried to pick one up at a local appliance store but they did not have any in stock.  Good thing I kept my old fridge until we got this one working. :)

Offline krazytech

• Technician
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline HeatherC

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
Thought I would come back and give you an update.  I hate it when I'm searching threads and no one comes back to tell if it solved the probelm or not.   

We replaced the thermostat and defrost control board and everything is working great! 

Thanks for all the help!

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
Glad you got it repaired.  O0

Thanks for the update!

Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5399
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Refrigerator no water and top of freezer is warm

Started by ewinds

Replies: 14
Views: 4194
Last post March 28, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
by AJ
GE Refrigerator is warm but freezer is cold

Started by Nick1971

Replies: 1
Views: 1355
Last post June 20, 2009, 07:35:07 PM
by JWWebster
Freezer works, refrigerator inoperative.

Started by Mudweizer

Replies: 10
Views: 2888
Last post March 22, 2011, 07:41:57 PM
by whirlpooltech
LG FRENCH DOOR FRIDGE AREA NOT COOLING FREEZER WORKS

Started by matts1123

Replies: 11
Views: 5241
Last post May 12, 2011, 11:13:10 PM
by matts1123
Freezer cold - Refridge warm - Side by Side with PICS!

Started by redspot321

Replies: 14
Views: 3848
Last post July 10, 2011, 06:20:35 PM
by redspot321