Author Topic: Goodman heat pump very fast cycling  (Read 10440 times)

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
Goodman heat pump very fast cycling
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
My Goodman heat pump model CPRT36-T is cycling every 10-15 seconds or is continually trying to start.  I'm sure it is the compressor becasue the light dim as they normally do when the compressor kicks on.  But the noise it makes is not quite the same.  The heat and A/C work to some extent, but i didn't let it run much when I noticed the problem.  

I left it off last night for over 12 hours and the problem continues.

Please help...
Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Goodman heat pump very fast cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
What's the starting cap look like?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »
JW...
I don't know what that is, but I'm fixing to crack open the outside unit and do a good inspection.  If you can tell me where it is, i'll check it out!

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
When you open the control panel cover,the capacitor will be attached on the left side of the contactor. A silver can-like object about 5 inches long.
If it is bulged out on top it is bad.
The points on the contactor should be inspected for burned rough spots as well.
Remove the terminal cover on the compressor and check the wire connections there.
Check the circuit breaker for a loose connection or loose wires.
If all these things verify OK,add a hard start to the capacitor common and hermetic terminals to assist the compressor starting.

What is the serial number on this unit?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:46:01 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
The capacitor looks like-new and no bulging.  If the contactor is the "thingy" in the middle of where the power lines come in an attach and look like old '60's style distributor points, they don't look pretty but could be ok.  I guess i'll have to take the fan off to get to the compressor terminal but right now it's raining outside.

The serial is 0602573260 and it was installed on April 11, 2006.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »
Check the wiring from the indoor panel and the outdoor disconnect as well as the circuit breakers.
Please describe the noise.
Because the capacitor is not bulged does not mean it is good.
Does the outdoor fan motor run?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:57:27 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Click on pic
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
This system is still under a parts warranty.
Contact your installer.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »
Thanks to everyone, the tech checked it today and found the compressor to be defective.

Weird thing with Goodman, the manufacturer.... the tech called his office and they called Goodman and they said the unit was out of warranty based on the serial which starts yymm. My serial is 0602, and the paperwork says, when in doubt about the installation date, "the warranty period starts three months AFTER the manufacture date"

They tried to disallow my coil warranty repair last year even though I had documentation and a paid credit card receipt! Not to mention that the replacement coil came to my home DEFECTIVE, and had to call the techs out a week later to repair a defective schrader valve. It took weeks, threats and I had to sign a disclaimer to get the money back for the techs time to repair there defective coil!

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »
I have installed Goodman products for 20 years and have never had a problem related to warranty claims.
My Goodman dealer and or Goodman Manufacturing has stood behind any issue my customers have had.
But then,there have not been many issues with the Goodman products.

In regards to your coil replacement...the original coil would have been sent to Goodman for failure verification and return credit.
Goodman verifies return defects.
If the coil was found not to be leaking,then they would have billed the installer for the coil.
My dealer logs the model and serial number of all units sold and the date it is sold. In lieu of other documentation they use the sold date as the warranty date.

The leaking schrader valve was most likely your leak to begin with and not the coil.
Some techs want to "assume" a leaking coil rather than go through the proper diagnostics to pin point a problem.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Actually, I had the tech who installed the heat pump come out first and he found the leak at a solder joint/braze point at one of the bends in the coil.  The company who installed the air handled actually checked it too and found the same thing and they did the warranty install.  After a week, the system stopped cooling so I called them back.  He suggested a full leak test after he found the freon to be low, but while he was there he checked the connection that they soldered when they installed the unit with his leak tester.  He noticed a leak at the plastic cap over the schrader valve.  I think he then tried to remove the valve so he could replace it but would not come out (I'm not 100% sure on that), but he eventually put a metal cap on it with some type of sealant.  The unit then worked great until now.

As far as Goodman being up on their warranties, it has not happened with me...  My air handler was installed in 2005 but had a November 2003 manufacturing serial number.  Even with a copy of the "actual" credit card charge and bill/invoice from the dealer, they refused to warrant the repair because they said there was no way a November 2003 unit could have been installed a year and 3 months after it was manufactured!  I had to deal directly with Consumer Affairs and the Warranty Department at the Goodman facility in Houston. 

But my question now is...Should I pay the $1080 quoted to replace the compressor under warranty or try to find the cash to replace the entire system maybe starting at $3500?  After I pay the replacement costs, essentially the entire system will be out of warranty!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
Compressor?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »
$1080 is a good price for a compressor changeout.
A system replacement would be to your benefit for a 13 seer or higher.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline tkolarik

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
Hey, the technician came by today to replace the compressor under the warranty and after 6 hours, he came to me to get paid and explain...

The compressor was bad and they replaced it but also it appears that something else is bad, maybe the reversing valve.  It would cost another $1000 to replace it under warranty!

SHOULD THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE DETERMINE THAT BEFORE REPLACING THE COMPRESSOR!

Online niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
 A little hard with a bad compressor.

Goodman Company Reannounces Recall of Air Conditioner/Heat Pump Units

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4815
Last post December 08, 2009, 03:52:04 PM
by AJ
Heat Pump Defrosting