Author Topic: cabrio dryer  (Read 5270 times)

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
cabrio dryer
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
i need help asap....hubby tired of buying parts nothing is fixing this. about one week ago the dryer just stopped heating. did a little research on net. found out how to take off back and remove Heating Element. did so. it looked like it was charred like it had been on fire. so we figured definately need a new one. ordered it friday came on monday put it in still no heat. it didnt come with the Thermostat on the bottome of it so i said well maybe it blew that when it was on "fire". so i ordered that monday and it came today. i just put it in still no heat. could there be something else or could i have rewired it wrong. i wrote down exactly where i took the wires off from but something is still definately wrong. thanks for your help

Whirlpool WED6400SW1 Dryer.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: cabrio dryer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
   Check the rest of your thermostats for continuity. #s 8,5 amd 40. Also check for 240 volts at your outlet. Might have a half blown breaker.

The charrring on your old element sounds normal from the heat generated by the element.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:08:22 PM by MajorApp »

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
dont have the capability to check the continuity guess i will just pull the other thermostats and find the part numbers and just order them tonight, thanks i had no idea it had more thermostats i did just find online about the thermal cut off and i was searching for it online but i couldnt find it sold seperate so maybe the other one is the one sold with it im gonna go pull it and check the part number thanks a lot for your help

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
  I hope you get lucky. not doing any testing is like shooting in the dark

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
yeah when i go out tomorrow im gonna go ahead and pick me up one of the Testers and come back and test the things i ordered and hopefully one of them will be bad and it will be all good i really wanted to get the stuff ordered today so it would ship tomorrow so i could get it by monday (fingers crossed) but i found out that tester isnt that expensive either so im gonna get that and if one of the three i ordered isnt it i will probably be back on here asking for more ideas, either way i will definately update tomorrow afternoon. thanks again

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »
I would check the Hi limit thermo.. for continuity..

also check to see if you have a clean vent .

Whirlpool
Part Number: 8566498
Description:   Thermostat, HI-Limit this is a kit change all the thermos in the kit..
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
i did clean out the vent system completely yesterday after all my research and the hi limit thermostat is the one that came in the mail yesterday that i replaced but still no heat. to bad i didnt know that part number for that kit before i ordered all of them seperate thanks again

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Page 49 shows an exhaust thermistor.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
the one i ordered is on the exhaust housing...well that is what i would call it...it is between the fan and the exhaust hole that the exhaust vent connects to and beside it was a thermal fuse so i ordered that too just in case.....im about to leave home and go do some errands and pick me up one of them meters from the hardware store and then when i get back the evening i will test all the parts i took off and post the readings if they are all fine i guess ive spent even more money for nothing but least i will have the meter to test anything else you guys come up with.....thanks again

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Be sure and remove at least one wire from each component so you won't get a false read from a closed loop.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
 That thermostat kit number 8566498 comes up as only the high limit thermostat.

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »
sorry it has taken me so long to post back. i did get me a continuity tester over the weekend and tested all the parts that i ordered. well the hi limit thermostat that i ordered first that didnt fix it wasnt bad to start with. now out of the three i ordered last thursday evening two were bad and one was not. the one that was not was the cheapest i only paid 1.50 plus 2.30 shipping on ebay from an appliance parts dealer so all in all not bad onthat front. i did a different tester than that which u guys recommended it didnt have any kind of read out on it just a red light, but my local hardware dealer said it was just as good for what i was doing and it was the only one he had and i didnt wanna drive another 30 miles to get the other one. well one of the parts came yesterday that i needed and it tests good, i just tracked the other one i need and it is on its way to me from my local p.o.carrier so hopefully in about another hour-or two i will be able to tell u if i have a working dryer or not! thanks again everyone

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Please remember that when you order parts through our site using the parts search box or links you help support this forum.

Not only that but you can always return any part for any reason because our parts affiliate has the best Return Policy.

That being said please keep us updated.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline crappycabrio

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
well i just got the two "broken" parts installed and itWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again guys and when i need something else i will definately come here to order it next time i didnt even realize that i could but when i ever need anything else i will certainly come here first. thanks again

Cabrio Dryer & Diagnotic Test (Standby)Mode

Started by missnaz

Replies: 5
Views: 6419
Last post June 12, 2009, 10:51:05 PM
by JWWebster
L-82 8178584 Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6738
Last post August 17, 2009, 12:54:41 PM
by AJ