Author Topic: Kenmore Elite/Whirlpool Refrigerator - Fridge too cold  (Read 5242 times)

Offline taliskan

• VIP Member
Kenmore Elite/Whirlpool Refrigerator - Fridge too cold
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
Hi all,

Kenmore 106.74212402 Refrigerator - Came home today to find nearly everything in the refrigerator frozen.  LED control panel was set at recommended - so I upped it to 45F while I searched for my thermometer.  Temp reads about 22F with the control set at 45F (roughly 3 hrs later).  I tried going through diagnostics (power+reset), but I can't seem to find an accurate document telling me what 1-6 tests.  3,4,6 report nothing; 1,2,5 report P.

Reading up it seems that I should replace the thermistors. Anyone have any other take or know where I can find what the diagnostic test numbers indicate?

Much appreciated,
Bill

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore Elite/Whirlpool Refrigerator - Fridge too cold
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

even tho this ain't a whirlpool product I like this video on how to test thermistors
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline taliskan

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks, JWWebster!  I'll have to dust off the multimeter and empty out the fridge and freezer this weekend. 

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the freezer is also running excessively cold.  I ordered replacement thermistors in the meantime.  I'm hoping it is not the control board.  The cost of repairs/replacements on the unit are starting to tally up to the cost of a new unit!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
Anything with the word Elite on it I would not have. Crappy is the word that comes to mind. A lot of them elite products are made in Korea by the old Goldstar brand which changed its name to LG.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline taliskan

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
Anything with the word Elite on it I would not have. Crappy is the word that comes to mind. A lot of them elite products are made in Korea by the old Goldstar brand which changed its name to LG.

This unit came with the house when I purchased it a year ago - so far the ice maker died and I have had to manually defrost the freezer a couple of times.  I would love to replace it with something that it similar (top-mount, filtered water dispenser, ice maker in freezer) and near affordable, but with all the brands out there I have no idea what to get if I do end up replacing the unit.

When I get the replacement thermistors and open up the unit this weekend, I'm hoping just to find a couple of bad thermistors.  I kinda wish the problem was easier to diagnose, really.  I still can't find a service manual that accurately tells me about the diagnostic test and LED read-outs.

Offline taliskan

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Well, thermistors checked out.  Visually inspected baffle, it opens and closes fine.  I'm guessing the next thing is the control board?  Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
If the thermistors check and the damper is closing,you are correct .Replace the board.

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 85992
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
Kenmore Refrigerator to Cold

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2621
Last post June 14, 2008, 06:52:51 AM
by TechnicianBrian
KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD