Author Topic: Maytag skybox  (Read 3589 times)

Offline tbase99

• VIP Member
Maytag skybox
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »
Hi all,

I have the MBV1976AAP Skybox. When I got it, it was not cooling and I could not hear the compressor running at all. Based on the comments here about bad start relays, I purchased a Supco 3 N'1 RCO410 online. I wasn't sure about the pins on the compressor, but it looked like the top pin was the common as shown on the Supco diagram as the bottom pin, so I assumed the connector was just upside-down. Hooked it up based on that, and it ran and started cooling. It probably ran for an hour or so, then it tripped the GFI it was plugged into.

I'm afraid I may have fried the compressor. Thinking the 3 N'1 replaced all the compressor-related components, I did not re-install the sensor thing that was up against the compressor body- I assume this is the motor protector. Now that I think about it, I'm thinking that component is there to shut off the compressor when it gets to hot, and without it in place, it just ran until it burnt itself up. If that's the case, I guess I'm out of luck.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to confirm this. I'm going to dig around in the service manual and see if there are any clues there, but I'm thinking there won't be since I used a non-original part. The GFI trips instantly whenever I plug the unit in, unless I disconnect the wires from the compressor. In other words, the Supco 3 N'1 is not tripping the GFI by itself, only when it's plugged in to the compressor.

The other possibility would be that I reversed the start and run wires. If that was the case, would it have even run? And if so, would it have fried the compressor, or the 3 N' 1? The more I think about it the more I think I may have actually done that.  :embarassed:

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Maytag skybox
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »
Try plugging it into a regular outlet.  It shouldn't be plugged into a GFCI.  The GFCI could be weak... See it all the time.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline tbase99

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
Ok, I tried that and it ran for 5 minutes or less and tripped the breaker. The power cord was pretty hot. I did reverse the start and run wires before trying this, as I'm pretty sure I had them backwards when I ran it for an hour or so last night. It did sound different than when I had the wires the other way- this time it was louder at first, then clunked and ran fairly quiet. With the wires the other way it never ran loud, just started at that quieter level and stayed there.

Sound like I fried the compressor?

Online niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »
Sounds like the wires were reversed ,and yes it could run that way,not well. Shafers dead on about the GFI, stick a amp meter on it and see what your pulling for amps.Is the unit cooling.

Offline tbase99

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
It won't run long enough to tell if it's cooling now. I don't have an amp meter handy, but it popped a 20 amp breaker that had nothing else but a laptop charger plugged into it, and the power cord was quite hot. When it ran with the wires reversed, it was cooling but not that well.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
I wasn't sure about the pins on the compressor, but it looked like the top pin was the common as shown on the Supco diagram as the bottom pin, so I assumed the connector was just upside-down.

You assumed correctly.

Offline tbase99

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
I wasn't sure about the pins on the compressor, but it looked like the top pin was the common as shown on the Supco diagram as the bottom pin, so I assumed the connector was just upside-down.

You assumed correctly.

Unfortunately I guess it was me that was upside down, which led to me wiring it backwards. Now I'm just trying to figure out if I've fried the 3 N' 1 or the compressor. I'm thinking the compressor, because it doesn't trip anything with the 3 N' 1 connected to power but not connected to the compressor.

Also still wondering if that thermal protector should have been left on there or if the 3 N' 1 covers that as well.

Sorry for my ignorance, if I had just paid more attention it would have been fine I'm sure.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
Also still wondering if that thermal protector should have been left on there or if the 3 N' 1 covers that as well.

No, the 3n1 has a built in overload.

Maytag skybox

Started by dcalthetiger

Replies: 18
Views: 23687
Last post May 28, 2011, 12:37:43 PM
by LeeMc
Need Maytag Skybox Help

Started by GregG

Replies: 11
Views: 6226
Last post December 10, 2009, 07:20:13 PM