Author Topic: Drain problem- 2nd unit with similar problem  (Read 4903 times)

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
Drain problem- 2nd unit with similar problem
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
ET1CHMXKQ05 - The problem was the homeowner had 2 pans to catch the water leaking down from the freezer compartment from the duct in the back.

I have the evap pan clear of ice, but the drain hole is clogged with ice.... Is there any way to thaw the drain hole area out without melting the surrounding area with a heat gun, besides just unplugging and open the freezer door and waiting for time to go by which is what I'm doing right now.

As soon as it thaws I'm going to blow out the drain with nitrogen and then hang a piece of 14g solid copper wire off the bottom of the heater and into the drain hole. This is the second one of these I had to fix this way... last time it lasted almost 2 years before the wire got too brittle.

Is this pretty common with Whirlpool units within the last 5-8 years?

Design problem?

Any advice or comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Drain problem- 2nd unit with similar problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
What I think happens is the defrost heater over time warps up and away from the drain hole.

Whirlpool has a FSP part that you can clamp around the heater and feed down the drain hole.
Don't have the part number off hand, but it's a basically a flat piece of aluminum that clamps to the heater.

It does the same thing as a wrapping a copper wire around the heater, but I find it easier to bill out the Whirlpool FSP part then a piece of copper wire.

I have been reading some of your other topics/replies and I'm guessing your a technician.

If so you maybe interested in this topic.

Wanted: Appliance Repair Technicians  O0

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
  You don't have to wait for the drain hole to thaw. Keep blowing the hot air on it and poke at the ice with dental pick like tool. Soak up the water as it melts so you can get hot air directly on the hole. It takes maybe 20 minutes but it will clear out. After the hole is clear pour some hot water through the drain tube to be sure it's all gone OR you could go to www.ASPENSAFETY.COM and buy a defrost drain deicer part #AM25. Thats what I have been using. It melts the ice in the drain hole in seconds. Also, instead of a heat gun I would use a hair dryer. Its less likely to melt the plastic.

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
you could go to www.ASPENSAFETY.COM and buy a defrost drain deicer part #AM25.

Could you post a direct link to the page that has these? I can't seem to find them on aspensafety site.

Also, instead of a heat gun I would use a hair dryer. Its less likely to melt the plastic.

The Makita heat gun I have been using for the last 20 years has variable temperature control along with 2-speed blower setting. It can be used for a hair dryer too. :)
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
you could go to www.ASPENSAFETY.COM and buy a defrost drain deicer part #AM25. Thats what I have been using.

I have seen that aspensafety site before and hate it.
How do you find anything on it? There is no search box and the pages are one big cluster.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
http://www.aspensafety.com/ASPEN_MANUFACTURIUNG/QUICKMELT.html  I know the site is a little difficult but it works. They have a free catalog if you make the request. 1-800-327-1794. EMAIL AM4323@AOL.COM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:32:00 PM by MajorApp »

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Cool, don't recall ever seeing anything like that before.

I wonder how long they have been around. How long have you been using one?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
  I've been using it only a few months. So far I like it. They also have a "drain blaster" that uses a c02 cartridge. Great for any drain hose. http://www.aspensafety.com/ASPEN_MANUFACTURIUNG/RDB_GUN.html  sorry
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:37:41 PM by MajorApp »

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
My tool of choice for both evaporator and drain defrosting is a Wagner steamer.  It will unclog a drain in seconds.  Before I had the steamer I would use a 2 liter pop bottle with a 1/4" hole drilled through the cap.  I would fill it with hot tap water and squirt the evaporator while vacuuming with a shop vac.  For drains, stick 1/4 plastic tubing in the hole and squirt hot water down the hole. An empty zoom oil bottle works well too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:29:57 PM by tgoods »

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
I do commercial refrigeration service and heating and AC commercial and residential and fool with residential appliances for fun... If they call me for a residential refrigerator, and I go look at it, if I can't fix it or don't know for sure what's wrong, I don't charge the customer....

I have trouble finding the proper service info for some residential appliances, like the wiring diagrams- kind of the same way with commercial cooking equipment.... the info is there to find for some and hard to get for others.

I like the idea of the Steamer and the 2 liter bottle..... seems to take too long with a heat gun.

Customer has spare fridge and everything was moved before I got there this morning----I love those kinds of customers!

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
I carry a turkey baster in my tool box.  Works very well at making quick work of frozen drain tubes, I just fill a customers cup with hot water, and baste away!
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:51 AM »
I have a question about the drain pan on these units....it appears the pan is not attached to the drain connection under it and water can get in between the pan and the bottom of the freezer section. Did this separate because the water froze and separated the pan from the drain connection?

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
  The pans are not connected to the drain. Even though the water gets between the pan and the bottom of the frig the water is still directed to the hole

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »
  The pans are not connected to the drain. Even though the water gets between the pan and the bottom of the frig the water is still directed to the hole

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the info.

Offline appdoc

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »
part # for drain probe is 819043. i use a bottle simular to the zoom spout but larger with a long spout. one shot of hot tap water & hole is cleared. I almost always install the probe because if any of the styrofoam below the pan got water in it, it will eventually try to freeze the hole back up. I even keep a piece of alumnim around so i can use the same pattern & make a longer probe in case the short one is not long enough. I even used this on the old gibson refers of the 70's & tossed the piece of copper wire they sent to solve their drain problems.

Refrigerator defrost drain problem

Started by crossroadsapp

Replies: 1
Views: 313
Last post July 26, 2013, 06:25:31 PM
by niobrara
Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 5824
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman