Author Topic: Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle  (Read 11465 times)

Offline PB3

• VIP Member
Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
Hello,

We have been noticing for about 2 months during the spin cycle of our washer it has been making a screeching noise. We did not know what the probelm might be but it was doing it job so we let it pass.
We noticed last night that washer will agitate but will not spin during the spin cycle.
I took the front panel off the washer and turned the machine on during spin to see what was working and what wasnt. The pulleys are running and it will spit the water out as its supposed to, but the tub itself will not spin. Clothes are drenched after the spin cycle is finished.

Any ideas?!

Model mav6451aww

Thanks,
Pete

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »
The usual finding on the Atantis washer is a bad thrust bearing assembly, part # 12002213

Please read the following post, as this Performa washer uses the same part as your Atlantis:
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=576.0

Regarding the screeching, this is most likely the sound of the brakes coming on at the end of the spin cycle, a very normal sound on this machine and not a sign of damage. Expensive tools are needed to remove the brake, so disregard the noise if possible.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:49:11 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Here is a photo of the brake tool that is needed.

Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline PB3

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
Thanks Repair-man & AJ for the quick response!

The screeching noise is a pretty constant thing through-out the rinse and spin cycle. If this is a costly repair I can live with it until the machine croaks.

Thats a handy link, thanks! Does my machine require the same part # as well or do I need to research the part number for it. Also I read about some sort of tool need for a clip removal, is there a special tool I need for this replacing job?

Besides stripping the outside panles to get to everything, is there any special way of replacing this part?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
Lay the washer on it's side I use an appliance lift but a pickup truck works good too. By the way have you determined the pump bearing is OK?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:51:49 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline PB3

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »
Hi JW,

How would I test if the pump bearing is working? The machine spits water out during the spin cycle. I can see the pulleys working when the machine is on spin but the actual tub itself is not spinning. The screeching noise of course is going on through-out.

I dont really have an appliance pick up or a pick up, will laying it down on its back with a dolly work?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »
The way it works is the cam riser built into the main drive pulley releases the brake and drum and the whole tub and transmission spins while pumping out. Over time the thrust bearing wears out and will not release the brake package.  The old famous maytag squeal can be easily fixed with a little oil poured down into the brake package.Do this when replacing that thrust bearing.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
the belt and pulleys are all on the bottom of the washer. you need to take it outside and lay it on it's side. remove the belt and  turn the pump both ways. look closely at the pump. if need be remove it and take it apart. :)
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
Lay the machine on its side and you will ruin the tub springs!

If water is showing up inside the cabinet below the tub, you have a failed main tub seal and bearing. You'll need the spanner wrench, the bearing and seal kit and probably the thrust bearing as well, since the transmission has been struggling to spin against the frozen bearings (screech!)

You'll also have to buy the spring removal tool to get the 6 tub springs off, part # 22002922

JW, let it go...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:32:56 PM by Repair-man »

Offline PB3

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:09:31 PM »
Hi Repair-man,

I dont have any water leakage anywhere under the tub of the machine. I was looking on sears parts direct and they had the thrust bearing kit for 30 bucks but it was going to be another 15-20 to ship and wont be able to ship out until the 9th of April! I went to repair clinic.com and order the part from there with guaranteed ship today at a cheaper cost.

So, am I on the right tract with just that part or do I need something else? Will I need the spanner wrech in repairing the thrust kit?
If laying the machine on its side is bad how do I repair the thrust bearing without damaging anything else?

Sorry for the constant questions! :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:11:13 PM by PB3 »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »
I have flipped em upside down. But I have laid the on their side. I have not had any bad luck doing so. What we are talking about here is replacing this part without getting the brainiacs at Maytag to get their army of experts to come out and replace this part with substancial financial rewards in mind. I am sorry, I didn't attend Maytag 101 at Maytag college. I have had to rely on time tested experience to fix there buggers. I am old school. If you know a trick I am all ears brother.Like I have said in the past it is better to get wisdom teeth yanked than extract any information out of that lonely guy. You know why he lonely? Cause he ain't got no life. He is busy fixing Nafta Maytags.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:56:46 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »
PB3

No special tools are needed to replace the thrust bearing. You'll use a flat-blade screwdriver to pop the c-clip off the bottom shaft. The old parts will slide down the shaft and fall out. The kit has all the parts needed to replace what comes off of the lower shaft. The new bearing is encapsulated and does not look like the old style array of washers, so follow the simple instructions in the kit.

To do this repair the easy way, pull the washer out about 2 feet from the wall, then lean it back. You will be doing this repair from the comfort of your floor by lying in front of the machine. The belt slips off and the pulley comes off when you remove the C-clip under the white cap. The rest is easy!

JW

You don't have to attend Maytag college to know how the machine is constructed. For future reference, if you work on a Maytag machine with 6 springs, do not lay it down. The springs will get stretched on one side, causing the machine to not stay balanced well. This in turn causes the little snubber ring underneath to develop quick erosion and failure soon after. It's a downhill race to damage. If there's anything you need to know about Maytag, feel free to ask. A wise person once said, "It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt:)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 07:42:55 AM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
For those of us that are older than dirt and would be permanently married to a floor in front of a washer machine from the effect of gravity on a 300 plus pound man....
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline PB3

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
Well,
I received the part yesterday and went through with the instsallation. Everything went well except for the retaining ring! The majority of my time was spent trying to get that little sucker on there. After I finally did and tested the washer, it started spinning! :)

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone that helped me out! You all saved me easily $300 in proffesional repair cost and a whoel day of sitting and waiting for someone to show up.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 2714
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
Maytag LA8650 Washer - Grinding/Scraping/Rattle Noise During Spin Cycle

Started by Carol2

Replies: 17
Views: 9421
Last post April 02, 2009, 05:40:54 PM
by Carol2
maytag washer rubbing sound during spin cycle

Started by rasputins fingerbone

Replies: 4
Views: 3566
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:38:41 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Maytag washer sounds like a plane taking off during spin cycle.

Started by justinc25

Replies: 6
Views: 4135
Last post April 05, 2009, 09:44:04 AM
by justinc25
maytag Atlantis washer timer switch doesn't activate spin cycle

Started by helpme805

Replies: 6
Views: 7143
Last post July 30, 2011, 08:35:12 PM
by AJ
Maytag Performa washer agitates during spin cycle but will not spin