Author Topic: We have ignition  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
We have ignition
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
I have a maytag gas dryer mdl DG22CA. The flame ignites but immediately goes out. After a few minutes, the glow plug comes on, it reignites and again immediately goes out. Any ideas?

Offline appdoc

• Technician
Re: We have ignition
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »
Sounds like ur vent is completely blocked or those coil are breaking down pretty quick

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »
What "coil" would you be speaking of? This would be very fast. I mean the flame kicks on and within 2 or 3 seconds kicks off.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:06 AM »
Sounds more like a defective flame sensor to me.
The flame sensor is attached to the side of the heat canister.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Ok, replaced the flame sensor. It appeared to work. Had good long lasting flame. Let it run through a cycle but now when I turn it on I get flame then glow plug heats and no flame.

The vent is removed so that is not an issue. The high heat sensor tests as good. I'm totally lost.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
Must be a problem with the coils
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:11:17 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »
THe problems started when I replaced the Gas Valve. So, unless I had a faulty valve system, the solenoids should be good.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:59:49 PM »
Why did you replace the gas valve?

Did replacing the gas valve solve some other problem or have you been fighting the same problem from the start?

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
Ok, this will tell you just how I diagnose.  :)

I noticed that the glow plug was heating but no flame was occuring. I hit the side of the dryer and the flame ignited. I tried this several times and it worked every time. I concluded that my hitting the dryer was jarring loose a stuck solenoid. I happened to have a spare gas valve so I changeed it out.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
You hitting the side of the dryer might be unsticking the control thermostat. Swap that out and see if she percolates.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
By Control Thermastat are you speaking of the high limit thermastat located on the tube the flame shoots into?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
High limits do not control the heat; they job is to open the heater circuit if the temp gets too high; exceeds 250f. A smaller limit mounted on the heater cage is set to pop at 300f. The drum temp (160f for cotton) is controlled by a Klixon mounted on the blower housing set to open at 160 for high. To get this klixon to shut down faster for perma-press and knits they add a small heater to the bi-metal which warms the klixon up and makes it shut down faster. Hence 4 wires 2 fat wires that carry heat load and 2 smaller wires from the timer.
click pic to enlarge
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:07:43 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
  You changed the gas valve but did you install new solenoids?

Offline Steve D

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
JW Webster - AS near as I can find, there is a thermostat on the heater tube and one on the blower housing. No others. The one on the blower housing has only two wires connected to it (as does the one on the heater tube). It is listed on repair clinic as the cycling thermostat. I will try changing that one.

As for replacing the solonoids, I did not as there were new ones on the valve assembly.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
Does your gas valve have a 3 wire quick connect or 2? If it has a 3 wire set up try carefully disconnecting the orange wire from the timer to the gas assembly and see if the gas stays on.
 If it does then you have a bad timer. The 3 wire t-stat on the blower housing is your control/cycling thermostat. These are pretty healthy thermostats but you never know.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:08:07 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL