Author Topic: Amana Fridge Not Cooling Well  (Read 2257 times)

Offline jfuredy

• VIP Member
Amana Fridge Not Cooling Well
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
I have an Amana SCD23VL that is not cooling well enough.  It recently quit working altogether (fan stopped and coils were frozen over), so I replaced the confirmed-faulty defrost thermostat.  Now it is working "normally", but just isn't getting the freezer cold enough to freeze items.

Things I have confirmed:  The fan is working, and appears to moving a lot of air.  I checked the defrost timer and it stays in defrost mode almost exactly 30 minutes before kicking the compressor/fan back on.  The fridge side stays cold at 3-7*C (37-45*F), and the freezer does get below freezing, varying from 15-35*F or so depending on when I look at the temp in the defrost cycle.  I have cleaned the coils under the fridge.

My best guess at this point is that it is low on refrigerant.  What are your thoughts?

What type of refrigerant is used in these?  Do they have service ports like in automotive applications?  I vaguely recall that there were generally sealed systems, so I'm not sure how they would be recharged.  Any help/advice/info would be appreciated.

Joe

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Amana Fridge Not Cooling Well
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
My best guess at this point is that it is low on refrigerant.  What are your thoughts?

Could be, how old is it?
If the evaporator coil have a nice even frost pattern on it then the refrigerant should be ok.

Could you post a photo of the evaporator after it's been running for a few hours?

What type of refrigerant is used in these?

The model/serial tag in the refrigerator section should tell you, but I would guess it's R-134A

Do they have service ports like in automotive applications?

No, you have to add your own. Either a clamp on valve that you would leave or a solder on one that would of coarse also stay on.

Offline jfuredy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I don't remember how old it is, but it is probably about 10-12 years old.

I tried a couple of times to grab a pic of the coils after they have been running for a while, but every time I look at it there is barely any frost on them (near the top of the coils).  So either it's not cooling enough, or maybe the defrost cycle is happening too often???

I tested the defrost timer for how long it stays in the defrost cycle, but how often is it supposed to trigger the defrost cycle?  How long is it supposed to run the compressor between each defrost cycle?

Joe

Offline jfuredy

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
Well, this unit finally completely quit cooling, so I am almost certain that it has lost its refrigerant or clogged the orifice.  Upon further inspection, I found a thick, green, sticky, goo that is stuck to the copper tubing next to the compressor and on the floor of the unit below it.  It is leaking from the vicinity of a larger diameter section of tubing that I am assuming is the orifice.  Is this the remnants of the refrigerant oil that has leaked out and accumulated?  Hopefully a picture of this is attached below.  :)

If this is the leak then I am thinking I should be able to get a new orifice, sweat it in place, vacuum the system, and add refrigerant & oil, and be back to like new operation, right?

Joe

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
It does not have an orifice. It works on a capillary tube system. You may have a leak in the system or you may have a defective compressor.
Take a Kid fishing.

Amana Fridge Not Cooling

Started by rego

Replies: 0
Views: 1146
Last post February 05, 2012, 09:43:35 AM
by rego
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 8008
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton
RFA17WCE Wood's frost free all fridge not cooling

Started by Ryan

Replies: 2
Views: 5271
Last post May 14, 2008, 10:10:10 PM
by JWWebster
CROSLEY FRIDGE FREEZER NOT COOLING

Started by flair

Replies: 9
Views: 8348
Last post October 15, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore/Whirpool fridge cooling problems

Started by woozy_one

Replies: 20
Views: 14389
Last post June 02, 2011, 08:35:17 PM
by woozy_one
GE 6 years old fridge not cooling, compressor on 24/7?

Started by mdm6713

Replies: 16
Views: 5965
Last post January 14, 2009, 11:05:55 AM
by JWWebster